Thread: Shin pain
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 01, 2000, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by PDLeBoutillier:
Mark, I liked your stretch suggestion, but when I tried it I nailed my head against the wall, and now I have a headache. (ouch!) I'll keep trying.

Paul

The equivalent stretch is to stand on a stair or bleacher row. Put just your toes and ball of your foot on the stair, with the back half + of the foot hanging off the edge (like a diver preparing for a backwards dive). Slowly lower your heel as far as you can and let the calf stretch. Hold for 30 seconds. Raise up on your toes as far as you can. Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat.

Warning -- hold on to a rail (or something) while you do this. The first time you do this, be careful you don't overstretch.

Also, if you beong to a health club, they may have a device to strengthen the tibialis (?) muscles -- on the front of the shin. It basically looks like a mirrored F with weights hanging off the bottom (I'll try a picture):

________
|
|
|
---------
|
|
|
|
weights

You sit on a bench with your feet (only) hanging over the edge. Place your feet between the bars on the device. Raise and lower your toes. If you just let the weight hang, you can stretch the muscle.