The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 27, 2000, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

ON A 3-MAN MECHANICS
BALL IS I THE FRONT COURT OF TEAM A.
CENTER IS ON BEANCH SIDE INFRONT OF COACH.
BALL IS IN COUNER IN FRONT OF LEAD AND AS A-1 IS TRYING TO PASS THE BALL B-1 TOOK IT AWAY.
COACH A IS CALLING TIME OUT AND THE CENTER NOT SEEING B-1 TAKE THE BALL GIVES TEAM A THE TIME OUT.
AFTER THE TIME OUT THE LEAD ALSO THE REF. GIVES THE BALL TO TEAM B.
I THINK THIS IS WORNG.
TEAM A WAS CHARGE WITH A TIME OUT.
AND SHOULD HAVE GOT THE BALL BACK OR THE LEAD SHOULD HAVE CALLED THE TIME OUT OFF AND GIVEN THE BALL TO TEAM B.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

------------------

Allways trying to get better!
Old Sun Aug 27, 2000, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

There is no "do-over" with timeouts. I liken this to a situation where B has the ball firmly in control, A calls timeout, and A is awarded a timeout. Do you give A the ball? No - the ball belongs to team B.

Just think, if we did what you want to do, coaches would call a timeout after every turnover.

[This message has been edited by Mark Dexter (edited August 27, 2000).]
Old Mon Aug 28, 2000, 12:45am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Mark Dexter is exactly right. If an official makes a mistake and grants a timeout to a team when that team did not have the right to be granted one, then you give it to them but you don't change the possession of the ball.

Here's a nightmare I had about 5 years ago. I was training a younger official in a JV level game. Team B just stole the ball and was heading the other way when he granted a timeout to team A because one of their players requested it. Guess what? Team A was out of timeouts at the time! This was in the last two minutes of a three point game (team A ahead).

Let's use this as a discussion topic. What would you have done? What do you think I did (knowing I like to stick to the letter of the rules most every time).

BTW - Jose, PLEASE DON'T SHOUT. Thank you.

[This message has been edited by Mark Padgett (edited August 28, 2000).]
Old Mon Aug 28, 2000, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Sort of a tricky play...

If the Coach requested a timeout prior while A still had possession and the C was slow in granting the timeout, then the ball should be given back to A. Team A shouldn't be penalized because the official was slow to respond. But this matter should be cleared up prior to the timeout beginning.

However, if the center did not grant the timeout because he was not certain who was making the request or if B had already gained possession prior to the request, the ball will belong to B. A will still be charged with a timeout.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2000, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure how the C couldn't see the steal, but just like any time out, possession goes to the team in control regardless if it should have been granted. I worked a game last year in a tourney with both teams wearing very similar uni's. I kicked the TO call and awarded it to the wrong team, my eyes were playing tricks on me, plus it was a rough game I was concentrating on the post play, not who was woofing for a TO.

I was pretty red, but you just smile, nod, and move on, with B getting the ball.

In the latter case, since it is a reserve game, and a player requested the TO, shoot two and go in a half court. There is no real way to weasel out of that situation and it is not correctable. I bet that young official learned a huge lesson that night as well as a blackball from the coaches.

[This message has been edited by Brian Watson (edited August 28, 2000).]
Old Mon Aug 28, 2000, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

"Here's a nightmare I had about 5 years ago. I was training a younger official in a JV level game. Team B just stole the ball and was heading the other way when he granted a timeout to team A because one of their players requested it. Guess what? Team A was out of timeouts at the time! This was in the last two minutes of a three point game (team A ahead)."

Verrrrry Interesting! Because it is a training situation, I guess there are two ways you could've handled this. The bail-out way, conference with your partner prior to reporting the timeout, explain to him the situation (i.e. B had the ball, etc.), and then basically instruct your partner to get both coaches together and tell them he had an inadvertent whistle, give the ball back to Team B and play on. If the coach gives him heat, because inevitably B's coach knows why the whistle was blown, you step in as the veteran and calm the waters. Of course, the "correct" handling is grant the timeout, assess the "T" against A, have B shoot the two shots, and give B the ball back at the division line opposite the benches. Make sure Team A's coach doesn't get too excited especially after his player tells him he never called a timeout, finish the game and sit your partner down and explain to him that he needs to work on develop game management and awareness skills.

Old Mon Aug 28, 2000, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Before anyone gets excited, in Mark's post, I totally believe that the correct way is the only way it should've been handled. Grant the TO, assess the "T", move on.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2000, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett:
Mark Dexter is exactly right. If an official makes a mistake and grants a timeout to a team when that team did not have the right to be granted one, then you give it to them but you don't change the possession of the ball.

Here's a nightmare I had about 5 years ago. I was training a younger official in a JV level game. Team B just stole the ball and was heading the other way when he granted a timeout to team A because one of their players requested it. Guess what? Team A was out of timeouts at the time! This was in the last two minutes of a three point game (team A ahead).

Let's use this as a discussion topic. What would you have done? What do you think I did (knowing I like to stick to the letter of the rules most every time).

thanks mark i thhink what you have to do is if you call the time out grant team A the time out give them a "T" let team b shoot 2 and give team b the ball.

------------------

Allways trying to get better!
Old Mon Aug 28, 2000, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

quote:

Old Thu Aug 31, 2000, 08:54pm
PDLeBoutillier

Exclamation

quote:
Team B just stole the ball and was heading the other way when he granted a timeout to team A because one of their players requested it. Guess what? Team A was out of timeouts at the time! This was in the last two minutes of a three point game (team A ahead).

OK, I think I've been a student of Mr. Padgett long enough to know what happened.

You granted the T/O at the expense of a Technical Foul for Team A, and afterwards awarded the ball to Team B.

Paul