The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 18, 2000, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Just wanted to let you all know what happened this past weekend. I posted about this previously about how this one dribbler swings his fist out to guard the ball against the defender.

We were on opposite teams and our team was on offense. As the defender, Fist guy grabs a long rebound around the free throw line. As his offense heads toward the other direction, a player on my team was standing between the dribbler and his basket, facing his own basket. I guess he was just watching the rebound and had no time to turn and get back on defense. So he was just standing there, not even trying to go after the ball. You know what happens? The guy swings his left fist out (as if to guard against the defender) and ends up punching him in the gut (and hard)! Nobody said or called anything and he didn't even apologize for it.

Still can't believe how some people act.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2000, 03:21pm
In Memoriam

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by beancenzo:
Just wanted to let you all know what happened this past weekend. I posted about this previously about how this one dribbler swings his fist out to guard the ball against the defender.

We were on opposite teams and our team was on offense. As the defender, Fist guy grabs a long rebound around the free throw line. As his offense heads toward the other direction, a player on my team was standing between the dribbler and his basket, facing his own basket. I guess he was just watching the rebound and had no time to turn and get back on defense. So he was just standing there, not even trying to go after the ball. You know what happens? The guy swings his left fist out (as if to guard against the defender) and ends up punching him in the gut (and hard)! Nobody said or called anything and he didn't even apologize for it.

Really sounds like a "had to see it".
mick
Old Sun Aug 20, 2000, 01:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink

I have to agree with you about this one Mick. I cannot see how this would be anything unless the kid purposely tried to harm or hurt the kid he hit, I say call nothing, incidental contact. You could warn the kid (if you think it was close) and try to discourage further action. Preventative officiating in a sense, but as you said mick, "have to have seen it."
Old Mon Aug 21, 2000, 12:41am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I had a similar occurance in an adult league last year. We had been having trouble with one team all season long due to rough play.

In this one game, one of their players got a long rebound. He then turned to see his teammates downcourt. There was an opponent standing right next to him. He threw the ball way downcourt and then followed through with his arm almost 180 degrees and hit the opponent right in the mouth, really hard. In my opinion, it was intentional, supported by the fact that he laughed in the guy's face as soon as he did it.

I blew the whistle, called a flagrant foul and threw him out.

Of course he yelled and screamed, and so did one of his teammates (the other "bad boy"). I tossed that jerk, too.

The league did a review and yanked that team out the league for two years. They have to apply for reinstatement.

And - this is a church league!
Old Tue Aug 22, 2000, 01:52pm
Suppref

Had a similar situation with a player in an adult league. Once he played against all the teams, the second meeting with each team brought more complaints from the defenders. Here's what I did. During a time out, I approached the "fist" player and told him that it's one thing to protect the ball and another to extend the arm. If in my opinion he initiated the contact I would call a player control foul. He never did it again in one of my games. After the game he came up to me and thanked me for the warning and of course told me he didn't realize he was doing it. Some times just a little chat away from everyone else works better than just blowing the foul or calling nothing. I still beleive, especially in youth and rec leagues, that we are a coach on the floor and a little guidance doesn't hurt.
Have fun - -Suppref
Old Wed Aug 23, 2000, 04:49am
Official Forum Member

It's a got to see play!!!
but looking at the rules, did the defence establish?(no t+d needed on dribbler.)and who initiated contact and what did the contact lead too. In FIBA no player on defense may hold, push or extend their arm, hand to gain an unfair advantage. This goes for offense and defense. But as a said to start. It's a got to see play!
Old Thu Aug 24, 2000, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

No, defense didn't move. Defender was just standing there. When the rebounder grabbed the ball, he turned around and had both feet set on ground. About 2 feet distance between the guys. As he dribbled towards his basket, he used his left hand and wacked the defender in the gut. Defender yelped "OOMPH!"
Old Fri Aug 25, 2000, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I'm not sure about what rules you are using but looking at my 1999 version of the NCAA rule book under sections 9 and 10 in rule 10 on page BR-84 it give a good description on what is an isn't aloud. For me as an official, i would have to judge the contact and see the result of the play. Was your player put at a disavantage because of the contact?
Old Fri Aug 25, 2000, 11:18am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC:
I'm not sure about what rules you are using but looking at my 1999 version of the NCAA rule book under sections 9 and 10 in rule 10 on page BR-84 it give a good description on what is an isn't aloud.

On these boards, standard practice is to assume NF rules unless stated otherwise.

Old Mon Aug 28, 2000, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

quote:

Where was the ref? Looks to me like as player control foul.

------------------

Allways trying to get better!
Old Mon Aug 28, 2000, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

quote:

Old Thu Aug 31, 2000, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

No ref. This was just an outdoor, unofficiated game. I just play and occassionally ask the officiators what a call should be.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2000, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

I would say the disadvantage was that the player definitely did not have an opportunity to get back on defense due to the punch.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2000, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Street Ball....

No set of rules can cover that sport. By the way at the 2012 Olypmics 3 on 3 outdoor basketball with be a deminstration sport and there won't be an official. You just call your own fouls.

SH