View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 28, 2000, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

"Here's a nightmare I had about 5 years ago. I was training a younger official in a JV level game. Team B just stole the ball and was heading the other way when he granted a timeout to team A because one of their players requested it. Guess what? Team A was out of timeouts at the time! This was in the last two minutes of a three point game (team A ahead)."

Verrrrry Interesting! Because it is a training situation, I guess there are two ways you could've handled this. The bail-out way, conference with your partner prior to reporting the timeout, explain to him the situation (i.e. B had the ball, etc.), and then basically instruct your partner to get both coaches together and tell them he had an inadvertent whistle, give the ball back to Team B and play on. If the coach gives him heat, because inevitably B's coach knows why the whistle was blown, you step in as the veteran and calm the waters. Of course, the "correct" handling is grant the timeout, assess the "T" against A, have B shoot the two shots, and give B the ball back at the division line opposite the benches. Make sure Team A's coach doesn't get too excited especially after his player tells him he never called a timeout, finish the game and sit your partner down and explain to him that he needs to work on develop game management and awareness skills.