The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Eighth grade girls' game. A1 grabs a defensive rebound and waits for the lane to clear. Meanwhile, B1 turns to head downcourt and bumps into A1, who is still holding the ball. I don't feel that the bump is enough to warrant a call, but A1 was slightly off balance. She almost regains balance, but stumbles forward and loses footing. Now it looks like a travel, but it was caused by the initial bump. So I got:

A) a pushing foul by B and a late whistle

B) a travel by A

or

C) no call

Maybe you had to see it, but I bet other guys have had similar ones. I had no call, and coach starts yelling for travel. I said, 'Yeah, but your girl pushed her,' but then it sounds weak because I didn't call it. I don't think he would've appreciated a late foul whistle either. Anyone else?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

As that hip British chef Jamie Oliver always, says....

This one's "easy peasy".

Call nothing, unless A1 falls down or takes four steps to re-gain her balance.

If coach complains, quietly remind him that his player just away with a foul.

If A1 falls, or REALLY travels badly, call the pushing foul.

DO NOT, for God's sake, call a travel
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Of course, we'd have to see it for ourselves, but it sounds like you ruled the contact was incidental in nature, though the result was a violation. There couldn't be a no-call since there was a violation. A late whistle for a pushing foul would get you a pocket full of coach, though it might be correct. If the travel occurred within a second or so of the bump, do the right thing. If B is already at halfcourt, Miss A gets the ticket. A's coach seeks anger management.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 12:41am
We don't rent pigs

I have no problem with a late whistle in a case like this.
This is a very good example of advantage/disadvantage. If, in your judgment, the bump caused the travel, the ballhandler was put at a disadvantage. Then, if the same 2 players bump in the same way later, but with no travel, it is perfectly all right to call the contact incidental and play on.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
I have no problem with a late whistle in a case like this.
This is a very good example of advantage/disadvantage. If, in your judgment, the bump caused the travel, the ballhandler was put at a disadvantage. Then, if the same 2 players bump in the same way later, but with no travel, it is perfectly all right to call the contact incidental and play on.
I believe this just about covers it. If it's a travel you can't get away with passing on, it has to be a push, late.

Blackhawk
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Call the late foul! This is nothing more than allowing the play to develop instead of blowing a quick whistle. I commend your effort to avoid the ticky-tack foul and the fact that you had the entire play. I agree with da canuck - never blow a travel when this happens. If it's obvious B1 caused the violation through contact, penalize the contact. The coach will know exactly what happened and I doubt anyone will say a word.

The players may even take a little more care in transition not to have a scrum next time down the floor.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theshortbaldref
Of course, we'd have to see it for ourselves, but it sounds like you ruled the contact was incidental in nature, though the result was a violation. There couldn't be a no-call since there was a violation. A late whistle for a pushing foul would get you a pocket full of coach, though it might be correct. If the travel occurred within a second or so of the bump, do the right thing. If B is already at halfcourt, Miss A gets the ticket. A's coach seeks anger management.
In my book, the contact is not "incidental" if it knocks the ball holder off balance enough to commit a traveling violation. Blow the whistle for the foul.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
For me, it would depend on the magnitude and visibility of the travel. If there are still several girls around, and it's just a shuffle that no one can see, skip it. If it's just the bumper and the bumpee, and she takes a couple of huge steps, gotta call the foul. Like our distinguished brother from Canada said, "Do NOT...call a travel!"