The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Make The Call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/77149-make-call.html)

APG Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:03pm

Make The Call

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NROAn8-Y_qw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NCHSAA Sun Aug 07, 2011 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 778626)
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NROAn8-Y_qw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm going Block, LGP was not there in my opinion. It would be nice if the restricted area arc was painted, which is finally coming this year

APG Sun Aug 07, 2011 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 778640)
I'm going Block. It would be nice if the restricted arc was painted, if this was an NCAA game next season.

I don't think the restricted area would be in play here since the arc is 3 ft...a little bit smaller than the NBA's four feet.

NCHSAA Sun Aug 07, 2011 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 778641)
I don't think the restricted area would be in play here since the arc is 3 ft...a little bit smaller than the NBA's four feet.

Could be right, its difficult to tell from this view.

Camron Rust Sun Aug 07, 2011 01:18pm

Block.

Moving towards and into the shooter after the shooter left the floor.

BktBallRef Sun Aug 07, 2011 01:27pm

Block. Did not have LGP when the shooter left the floor.

BillyMac Sun Aug 07, 2011 01:28pm

Good Time As Any For A Blarge ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 778654)
Block. Moving towards and into the shooter after the shooter left the floor.

I can't disagree with Camron's call, but the defender getting to his spot, and the shooter becoming airborne, both happen at "about" the same time. Tough call, especially in real time.

AllPurposeGamer: Nice video. Thanks.

Rich Sun Aug 07, 2011 01:29pm

Block.

Rob1968 Sun Aug 07, 2011 01:50pm

Trail and Lead posotions

So, it appears that this is a two-man crew, as the over-all play is on the camera side of the floor, and the Lead doesn't rotate. The defender that got the call was definitely a secondary defender, and if the Lead were on the camera side of the floor, he may have been able to see the movement of that defender from start to finish.
It's difficult for the Trail, calling official, to watch both the primary defender and the secondary defender on this play. And it appears that having to do so may be the reason for the Charge call.
BTW, IMO, block.

APG Sun Aug 07, 2011 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 778661)
So, it appears that this is a two-man crew, as the over-all play is on the camera side of the floor, and the Lead doesn't rotate. The defender that got the call was definitely a secondary defender, and if the Lead were on the camera side of the floor, he may have been able to see the movement of that defender from start to finish.
It's difficult for the Trail, calling official, to watch both the primary defender and the secondary defender on this play. And it appears that having to do so may be the reason for the Charge call.
BTW, IMO, block.

This was one of my first thoughts on the play...if this was 3-man, then I'd be saying that the lead was too slow to rotate strong side. Even in two-man I tend to do strong-side mechanic quite a bit and might have rotated in this situation. I appears the lead starts to rotate strong side when the ball is in the corner but decides against it when the ball is skipped to the top of the key.

As for the play, I also have a blocking foul...defender got to the spot after the offensive player was airborne.

Pantherdreams Sun Aug 07, 2011 05:34pm

I would be more apt to make the call on the intial defender with the arm on the shooter guiding him into the defense while challenging the shot. The play is bang bang in real time. I think it is a block but very close at game speed. Easy call is on the intial defender and avoids dealing with the block/charge in this case.

APG Sun Aug 07, 2011 06:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 778713)
I would be more apt to make the call on the intial defender with the arm on the shooter guiding him into the defense while challenging the shot. The play is bang bang in real time. I think it is a block but very close at game speed. Easy call is on the intial defender and avoids dealing with the block/charge in this case.

IMO, that contact is marginal at best. That arm was inconsequential to where the offensive player wanted to go...I'm only calling that if the push is blatant or if the offensive player would have avoided the contact save for a push.

tref Sun Aug 07, 2011 06:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 778658)
I can't disagree with Camron's call, but the defender getting to his spot, and the shooter becoming airborne, both happen at "about" the same time. Tough call, especially in real time.

AllPurposeGamer: Nice video. Thanks.

I totally agree on all points Billy.

bainsey Sun Aug 07, 2011 06:28pm

It's hard to tell exactly when LGP begins from this angle, because the defender's right foot is eclipsed by #2 Blue's head.

BillyMac Sun Aug 07, 2011 06:52pm

Someone Finally Agreed With Me ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 778721)
I totally agree on all points Billy.

It only took 7,416 posts. I wish that Jurassic Referee was back from his sabbatical to see this. I thinking about having tref's post bronzed, or made into a commemorative plate.