The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 03:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells

I don't care if the player throws it in from the concession stand outside the gym, as long is it goes directly to the court (no OOB bounce) and touches a player in bounds and is released within 5 seconds, I'm letting it pass. I don't even care if it hits the concession stand.
Adam,you should care if it hits the concession stand.That one is covered in the rules,and is a violation.See casebook play 9.2.2SitA(a).
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
And just so Chuck doesn't feel too bad, I work with a guy who - believe it or not - is a KANSAS CITY FAN!!! He says he's hoping for 70 wins this season...and I thought being a BoSox fan was tough!!
Hey, at least the Royals have won a World Series in the last 20 years (with the help of Don Denkinger! )

Chuck
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 03:36pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Mark,you're confusing the hell out of everybody:
1)All throw-ins aren't designated spot throw-ins.Only the one where the official actually establishes the spot by putting the ball at the player's disposal is.
2)the designated spot is specifically defined as being 3 feet wide with no depth limitations-NOT sideline to sideline.

All of that is in the rules definition of a throw-in- R4-41-6.You can't change the specific wording of the definition just to meet your premise of how the play should be called.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Mar 5th, 2003 at 12:08 PM]

Come on JR. Read NFHS R7-S5-A7, that is the exception to the designated sport throw-in. If one treats a throw-in made under R7-S5-A7 as just a special type of designated throw-in and if there are more than member of the throwing team out-of-bounds along the end line treat all of those players as one player for purposes of the throw-in. That is the effect of R7-S5-A7.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 04:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:

I don't care if the player throws it in from the concession stand outside the gym, as long is it goes directly to the court (no OOB bounce) and touches a player in bounds and is released within 5 seconds, I'm letting it pass. I don't even care if it hits the concession stand.
Adam,you should care if it hits the concession stand.That one is covered in the rules,and is a violation.See casebook play 9.2.2SitA(a).
To me, the key there is "attempts deception." The situation at hand is a "pass" from one OOB player to another OOB player that gets muffed but remains OOB. Of course the pass didn't go directly onto the court, but it's still not a violation. What if she muffs it into the bleachers (end-line bleachers) and recovers in time? How is that different from a wall?

Adam
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 05:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[/B]
Come on JR. Read NFHS R7-S5-A7, that is the exception to the designated sport throw-in. If one treats a throw-in made under R7-S5-A7 as just a special type of designated throw-in and if there are more than member of the throwing team out-of-bounds along the end line treat all of those players as one player for purposes of the throw-in. That is the effect of R7-S5-A7. [/B][/QUOTE]Come on Mark.Read NFHS R7-S5-A2.That is the designated spot throw-in. R7-S5-A7 is a non-designated spot throw-in.Two different animals,with some different rulings applied to each of them.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 05:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

To me, the key there is "attempts deception." The situation at hand is a "pass" from one OOB player to another OOB player that gets muffed but remains OOB. Of course the pass didn't go directly onto the court, but it's still not a violation. What if she muffs it into the bleachers (end-line bleachers) and recovers in time? How is that different from a wall?
Adam,you're saying above that you ain't gonna call anything as long as the inbounds pass goes directly onto the court and touches a player in bounds.you also state that you won't allow an OOB bounce on the same throw-in.Isn't hitting anything OOB exactly the same as the OOB bounce that you say you won't allow?How is the concession stand any different than the floor?They're both OOB!
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 05:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Adam,you're saying above that you ain't gonna call anything as long as the inbounds pass goes directly onto the court and touches a player in bounds.you also state that you won't allow an OOB bounce on the same throw-in.Isn't hitting anything OOB exactly the same as the OOB bounce that you say you won't allow?How is the concession stand any different than the floor?They're both OOB! [/B]
Okay. I think I need to clarify (in case my assignor is reading this).
I'm much more strict on the spot throw in. The player must stay within the three-foot spot. Once they get beyond that spot, violation, even if they're chasing a fumbled ball.
On an endline throw in, I'm far more lenient. If an OOB pass from one player to another (legal) gets muffed, fine. They've got as far back as they can physically step to get the ball in. If a bounce pass is okay between OOB players, I'm not sure I can call a violation if the ball hits the wall or bleachers (assuming a muffed pass rather than an attempt to deceive.)
Now, if the ball hits an object out of bounds (which I'll consider the same as hitting the floor OOB) and bounces onto the playing court.... Violation.
Make sense? After reading this, I'm starting to confuse me.

Adam
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

I've got to ask

Ater a made basket by A, team B takes the ball out and has two players OOB. When B1 passes to B2, both are OOB, A reaches across the verticle plane of the end line and deflects the ball. Violation on A? If yes, can B still run the baseline?

Thanks.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I've got to ask

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
Ater a made basket by A, team B takes the ball out and has two players OOB. When B1 passes to B2, both are OOB, A reaches across the verticle plane of the end line and deflects the ball. Violation on A? If yes, can B still run the baseline?

Thanks.
No and no.

It's a technical foul on A for contacting the ball on the OOB side of the throw-in plane. B will get 2 FT. B will get a possession at the division line.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Hey, how come everyone can quote rule after rule on a play that happens once in a blue moon but no one will quote me the rule on my traveling question that happens nearly every game?
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 09:01am
In Memoriam

Question Huh

Quote:
Originally posted by longshot
Hey, how come everyone can quote rule after rule on a play that happens once in a blue moon but no one will quote me the rule on my traveling question that happens nearly every game?
What are you talking about? What's the question, if there is one.
mick
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 09:13am
In Memoriam

Re: Huh

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
What are you talking about? What's the question, if there is one.
mick
Found 'er,mick. Went back and answered it. Better late than never,I guess.

Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

I don't want to mix threads by asking it again here, but I posted it a couple days ago. The subject is "Traveling?" and its the only thread started by LONGSHOT.

Basically it has to do with loss of ball control when a player is in the air. I would like clarification on when its OK to leave the floor with the ball and return to the floor with the ball.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 09:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I don't want to mix threads by asking it again here, but I posted it a couple days ago. The subject is "Traveling?" and its the only thread started by LONGSHOT.

Basically it has to do with loss of ball control when a player is in the air. I would like clarification on when its OK to leave the floor with the ball and return to the floor with the ball.
Geeze,Longshot,I answered that one 17 minutes ago.

Gimme a break. I'm old,slow,and not too bright.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

But you are da man JR. Thanks.