Thread: Biased Table
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I tossed a visiting book person once. We're talking freshman girls here. The home score person was new, 14 or 15 years old, and scared to death. But no one else had applied for the job, so here she was. AD came to me way ahead of time and talked about how this girl was new, and was only going to do freshman this year, but wanted to move up as she was able. I tried to be encouraging and supportive, showed her a few hints, and promised to work with her, and give her plenty of leeway. Her best friend in similar situation was going to do the clock.

Visiting book person was a crotchety old geezer with an attitude. He started in on her about 2 minutes into the game. By the end of the first quarter, she was in tears and ready to quit. The AD was in the other gym. Visiting coach was no help at all. I warned the guy that he was disposable, and he'd better back off and leave her alone. But by half-time it was hopeless. He went to find the "refs in the other gym so they could straighten out this mess." My partner and I rounded up the AD, who didn't let this guy back into our gym. Visiting coach couldn't understand why we were so upset about it all. But I assured her that she wasn't going to win this battle, and she'd be well advised to find a different book person from here on out. This in a game that she won by 35 points.