The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
But see when I do it, it's all in fun. If I catch their eye it's always followed by a grin. It's never disrespectful...University of Central Florida is a Atlantic Sun School and it's fun to be that close to the action.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
But see. . . you and the official are not the only ones that hear your comments. However, you and the official will probably be the only ones who see your cute, disarming smile. You will more likely just be giving fuel to the people who don't have any clue.

If you're right next to the guy and nobody else can hear, then fine. But at a D1 Atlantic Sun game, I doubt that you'll be right next to him (unless you're in the mascot suit).

Bottom line, put a cork in it and save it till you sit down and buy him his post-game refreshment.

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 02:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
[
*This is a movie reference, perhaps somewhat obscure, but just as relevant to quality officiating as Bozo the Clown
and Howdy Doody.
Now why do you want to go dissin on Bozo like that??? That's just downright nasty!!

Seriously - these guys are jerks
Bozo and Howdy are not jerks! How dare you!
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
I think on only two occasions, I have said anything to fellow officials that were doing my wife's game. One was a women's college official was not administering the 5 sec closely guarded count on the dribble. In college, they don't have this rule, but in HS they do. I tried to point it out when he was right in front of me, loud enough for him to hear but not screaming at the top of my lungs. It cost my wife's team at least two possessions. I am not sure I handled it right, but I was wrapped in the game. He eventually did start counting after that. We did chat after the game and he admitted that he forgot the change and "some guy in the stands kept telling me to count the dribble" I had to admit that it was me and he laughed.
The other thing I said was "Man, you make polyester look GOOD!"
I keep my mouth shut, unless I heckle opposing fans who get on the officials, then all bets are off!!
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Once you become an official..

Quote:
Originally posted by bludevil1221
Just wondering...If I do HS ball and I"m still in college and I go to my schools basketball game and heckle the officials, is that unethical?

you are now held to a higher standard and cannot behave this way.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 02:59pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
[
*This is a movie reference, perhaps somewhat obscure, but just as relevant to quality officiating as Bozo the Clown
and Howdy Doody.
Now why do you want to go dissin on Bozo like that??? That's just downright nasty!!

Seriously - these guys are jerks
Bozo and Howdy are not jerks! How dare you!
Now THAT"S what I call creative editing, Mark!!!
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

If you're right next to the guy and nobody else can hear, then fine. But at a D1 Atlantic Sun game, I doubt that you'll be right next to him (unless you're in the mascot suit).

Chuck
Have you been to our gym, we are right on the floor. But I do see your point. I guess I'll stick to heckling to visiting coaches and players, thats more fun anyway...
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Report him as suggested by Mark DeNucci.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 09:34pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
Report him as suggested by Mark DeNucci.
Heck to!!! Report him to Mark DeNucci.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Officials heckling officials

If you are an official at any level, you should follow the golden rule. . .treat officials at any game the way you would want to be treated! I know for a fact I miss one call a game. I know I've see refs miss calls on the floor, but as a spectator, fan, and sometimes coach, I understand. . .IT"S PART OF THE GAME!
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Report the b**tard.

No, wait, get Bktballref to puke on his shoes first, then report him.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

there is no excuse for unproffesionalism. Yet we are humans and do dumb things!!! A gentle word turns away wrath. It's better to be congenial and have words that are gentle. If he/she has done it once he will do it again. So, just be professional and courteous.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 01:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Re: Re: Reporting?

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Many officials association's have an ethics form set up for something exactly like this and it would be just a matter of filling out the form and turning it in to the assignor. It's a lot more effective than spreading the word...since a person like this would most likely deny it and turn it into a "he said/she said" thing.

Z
This would be laughed out of my associations for even reporting such a thing where I am from. I know of no reporting procedure that is really going to affect any official in any of the associations that I belong to. Not because you could not throw someone out of an association, because they do not have that kind of control over an official. I do not believe that the state wants to hear or address personal issues between officials. Our associations do not assign games or give playoffs assignments. So reporting such a thing would not matter or even affect an official much at all. It just would not. And I am sure that everyone does not live in a situation where reporting would do any good. In my state we are truely independent contractors, so basically you are on your own when it comes to this kind of thing.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

I've worked varsity games at two schools in my area where after the hometown JV officials are showered up, they have sat in the stands and screamed at us during our game. Even to the point of using our last names during their outcries! I wonder what the visiting JV fans and coach thought about this. I'm sure they may have wondered about the unbiased job these guys did for them. Ya think?
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 09:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
I've worked varsity games at two schools in my area where after the hometown JV officials are showered up, they have sat in the stands and screamed at us during our game. Even to the point of using our last names during their outcries! I wonder what the visiting JV fans and coach thought about this. I'm sure they may have wondered about the unbiased job these guys did for them. Ya think?
That's horrible !!!
Plus, if they were yelling at you, they were wrong, too!
I heard there were some JV refs in the U.P. that weren't worth a lick.