The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Hawk Coach,

In my post, what I wanted to convey was the unsportsmanlike behaviour of the defensive player. It does not really matter what the player is yelling, it is the act of one player putting his or her face within an inch or two of another player's face and YELLING. (imagine a drill sergeant with his face in his soldiers face yelling and barking. That was what the girl was doing in the situation that I gave a T). That to me is unsportsmanlike. The act is meant to intimidate or frustrate the player. There is no intention to play defense within the spirit or intent of the game.

I did talk to the clinician earlier in the day but did not bring up my situation from the past. His advice (limited version) ranged first going to the player, then the coach and then a T if needed for unsporting behavior. That is how he said to handle the ball, ball, ball talk. By gosh, had a JVB player do it tonight and followed his approach and it worked.

Hawk has well reasoned thoughts on the game and rules and hopefully (I believe he doesn't) he does not teach his players to "value winning above the value instilling the highest ideals of character" as it appears Pat Summit does and those who copied her.

When I see or judge a player's actions to be unsportsmanlike, I almost always assess a T automatically. I'm sure I've missed some but not when I see it for the second time.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Under FIBA it is allowed to yell 'shot', as long it is yelled face2face. If someone is yelling things like 'BOO' or 'shot' but from, for example, behind, clapping or something like that, it's a T. Simple as 1,2,3. (Stated in one of the FIBA interpretations).
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 03:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by A Dutch Ref
Under FIBA it is allowed to yell 'shot', as long it is yelled face2face. If someone is yelling things like 'BOO' or 'shot' but from, for example, behind, clapping or something like that, it's a T. Simple as 1,2,3. (Stated in one of the FIBA interpretations).
What if (just asking here) a player, who has been beat on the dribble, yells "rebound" or "help" rather than "shot," alerting her teammates that she needs some help?

snaqwells
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

FIBA

FIBA-it's a T. good to hear. I ref FIBA rules occasionaly. What section is that under in the rules?
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Posting these again for everyone to chew on...

Here's is some things to ponder....

Would you punish a yell like this if it was directed at you after a foul call?? If so, why is it unsporting at that time??

Why don't we allow the non shooting team to yell at the free throw shooter??? Oh... that's right... there is a rule against that.. disconcertion.... What makes this different???
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Posting these again for everyone to chew on...

Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
Why don't we allow the non shooting team to yell at the free throw shooter??? Oh... that's right... there is a rule against that.. disconcertion.... What makes this different???
Not a fair comparison. You also can't play defense during a FT. The whole point of the free throw is that its a free opportunity to score. So that's why you can't yell during the FT.

As should be clear from my previous posts in this thread, I do not equate yelling with playing defense, however.

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 03:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
Not a fair comparison. You also can't play defense during a FT. [/B][/QUOTE]Then why do the girls along the lane lines always insist on trying to put their arms over top of their neighbour's arms?
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Then why do the girls along the lane lines always insist on trying to put their arms over top of their neighbour's arms?
I'm sure that this comment is sarcastic, right? There is no good reason for doing it. It's something that some bozo taught at camp or practice.

But just to be clearer, you can't play defense against the free throw shooter. Better, JR?
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 04:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
I'm sure that this comment is sarcastic, right? [/B][/QUOTE]Moi?