The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a different throw-in procedure for a live ball and dead ball? Let me explain a little, let's say after a basket is made by team B and team A is throwing the ball in, A1 overthrows everyone and the ball goes out on at mid-court. Do you give the ball to team B for the throw at the original baseline spot where it was thrown in at or the mid-court spot, where the ball went out? Also, this same question but after a dead ball situation, where the official hands the ball to the player for throw in and he overthrows everyone, is there a difference between these two different scenarios on where you place the ball for the throw in.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 01:41pm
Administrator

First: For a throw-in, a dead ball becomes a live ball when the ball is at the disposal of the team entitled to make the throw-in. It does not matter whether the throw-in by Team A is a designated spot throw-in or a non-designated spot throw-in. I am not doing to define "at the disposal of the throwing team" because that is not germaine to this discussion.

Second: When a Team A commits a throw-in violation, then Team A is entitled to make its designated spot throw-in from the same spot of Team A's thorw-in attempt.

In the situation in the original posting, the throw-in commited by Team A is that A1 passed the ball in such a manner that the ball did not touch or was not touched by a player on the court (inbounds or out-of-bounds). Therefore, Team B gets a designated spot throw-in at the spot of Team A's throw-in.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
It does not matter whether the throw-in by Team A is a designated spot throw-in or a non-designated spot throw-in.
That about sums it up.
The answer more directly is:
No, the throw-in violations mentioned above are handled in the same manner, both succeeding throw-ins are spot throw-ins.

Blackhawk
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Freejacked, welcome to the board. First thing I gotta know: are you a fan of Mick Jagger's acting career, or what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Freejacked
Is there a different throw-in procedure for a live ball and dead ball?
Ok, first serious thing is that the ball is always dead before a throw-in. I'm not sure what distinction you're trying to draw. But the whole reason for the throw-in is that the ball has become dead. The throw-in is one of only three ways to make a dead ball into a live ball. (The other two are the jump ball and a free throw.) So just to be clear, the ball must be dead in order to have a throw-in. The ball becomes live when it's at the disposal of the inbounder.

Quote:
let's say after a basket is made by team B, A1 overthrows everyone and the ball goes out on at mid-court. snip Also, this same question but after a dead ball situation, where the official hands the ball to the player for throw in and he overthrows everyone. . .
As others have already said, these are handled the same way. This is not an out-of-bounds violation. Rather, it's a throw-in violation. Since A1 violated the terms of the throw-in, team B is awarded the ball at the spot of A1's illegal throw-in. In all cases, this will be a designated spot throw-in.

Hope that is helpful in some way. Again, welcome to the board!

Chuck
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Just a side note....

If the Throw in violation mentioned is made from the baseline, the ball comes back to the original spot BUT if made from the sideline it is administered from the nearest spot(that the ball went out at).

Correct??

RR
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, but not correct. Anytime a throw-in goes OOB untouched, the other team is awarded a throw-in at the same spot as the original throw-in.

Chuck
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Chuck,

Actually, that is the way I understood the rule. However, this past weekend I was working with a veteran official who I highly respect and we had that very situation happen (throw in violation from sideline). He explained to me that the ball only goes back to the original spot from the baseline. Being a first year official, I shook my head and replied "Wow, I guess I learned something new today"... maybe I didn't. I'm heading to the rule book to do some digging now.

Regards,

RR
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Freejacked,
Just so you know, the ball becomes dead after a made basket. That is just a rules definition. Therefore, both throw-in situations that you describe happen after the ball is dead. Chuck wrote this, but didn't tell you why.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Another Angle

In a game I worked last night, Team A inbounded the ball legally to a player that proceeded to attempt a court lenght baseball style pass. He overthrew his teammate and the ball went out on the far baseline.

We gave the ball to Team B at the point the ball went out of bounds. Is this correct? My rationale was that the ball was inbound legally, and the violation occurred where the ball went out of bounds, as compared to the above discussion where the player failed to get the ball inbounds legally.

Thanks for your help.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Grail, I'm not sure exactly how to envision the play you describe, but I can tell you this. If the throw-in was touched by a player before going OOB, then the new throw-in is taken from the spot where the ball went OOB.

If the throw-in goes OOB untouched by any player, then the new throw-in is taken from the previous throw-in spot. Hope that helps.

chuck
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 09:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Grail
In a game I worked last night, Team A inbounded the ball legally to a player that proceeded to attempt a court lenght baseball style pass. He overthrew his teammate and the ball went out on the far baseline.

We gave the ball to Team B at the point the ball went out of bounds. Is this correct? My rationale was that the ball was inbound legally, and the violation occurred where the ball went out of bounds, as compared to the above discussion where the player failed to get the ball inbounds legally.

Thanks for your help.
The throw-in above ended when the player on the court touched the ball.When that player then threw it OOB,it's simply a violation-and the other team now gets the ball where the violation occured.It's that simple.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Freejacked, welcome to the board. First thing I gotta know: are you a fan of Mick Jagger's acting career, or what?
125 views of this thread and I'm the only one to make a Mick Jagger crack? Come on, people! The ability of people on this board to recognize obscure pop culture references is just horrrrrrrible!

Either that, or I need to get a life. . . nahhhhhhhhhh!!

Chuck
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
125 views of this thread and I'm the only one to make a Mick Jagger crack? Come on, people! The ability of people on this board to recognize obscure pop culture references is just horrrrrrrible!

Either that, or I need to get a life. . . nahhhhhhhhhh!!

Chuck
By looking at recent pictures it seems Mick Jagger's got a lot of cracks, most of them have been plastered over with makeup however. Speaking of old:

Mick Jagger's so old, the candles cost more than the birthday cake.

Mick Jagger's so old, he farts out mummy dust.

Mick Jagger's so old, he sat next to JR in third grade.

Mick Jagger's so old, he knew Burger King while he was still a prince.

Mick Jagger's so old, when he was young rainbows were black and white.

Mick Jagger's so old and fat that when God said "Let there be Light", he told him to move his fat @ss out of the way.

Mick Jagger's so old, he used to baby-sit JR.

Mick Jagger's so old, when he was born, the Dead Sea was just getting sick.

Mick Jagger's so old, he owes Fred Flintstone a food stamp.

Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 12:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
Mick Jagger's so old, he sat next to JR in third grade.

Mick Jagger's so old, he used to baby-sit JR.

[/B][/QUOTE]Chuck is gonna be aaawful sorry that you did that!

signed:
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Since no one seems to know what the heck I'm talking about. . .

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0104299