The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 06:31pm
I miss being on the floor

Where's the ball?

Don't have books on me at the moment, and this discussion came up between myself and a couple other officials this week at a summer game.

It seems so simple, yet we couldn't agree.

A1 has the ball near the division line in the frontcourt. As Lead, I have a common foul on B2 near the endline.

Where is the ball inbounded? At the spot of the foul, or where it was?
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Spot nearest where the foul occurred.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 07:23pm

Thank you. Do you have the rule reference so I can give it to the other guys?
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 7, Section 5 Throw-in, Resuming Play

Art. 4... Designated out of bounds spot throw-in nearest the foul:

a. After a player-control foul, as in 4-19-6; a team control foul, as in 4-19-7; or after a common foul prior to the bonus rule being in effect, as in 4-19-2, any player of the offended team shall make the throw-in.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 08:41pm
Lighten up, Francis.

The confusion may be due to the fact that after a double foul, if there is team control, the throw-in is administered at the spot closest to where the ball was. (4-36). But after a single personal foul, the ball is administered at the spot closest to the foul.
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 09:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You're discussing this with other officials and they thought it was POI?
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I feel like this is a pretty basic rule that no official should have an issue with...I could see though how a layperson would have issue with this, cause it does seem kind of weird to inbound the ball on the baseline (yeah I said baseline instead of endline...sue me) when the ball is at halfcourt.

Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 12:44am

Quote:
At least one did. I was leaning toward what ended up being the correct answer, though APG is right, it does seem awkward.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 11:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
At least one did. I was leaning toward what ended up being the correct answer, though APG is right, it does seem awkward.
The key is to remember what the penalty is for; and in this case it has nothing to do with the ball. It probably seems awkward because typically, the off ball fouls occur near enough to the ball that it doesn't really matter.

Ask the same group of officials where they'd administer the throw-in for the following scenario:

A1 dribbling in the FC, the ball bounces off his foot into the BC. He chases it down and picks up the dribble again in the lane in the BC.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 11:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Riddle Me This ???

Quote:
Ask the same group of officials where they'd administer the throw-in for the following scenario:
A1 is dribbling the ball, in his frontcourt, tableside, in the corner formed by the division line, and the sideline. Lead official calls A5 for a three second violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 11:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Better Yet, Ask The Mythbusters ...

Quote:
Ask the same group of officials where they'd administer the throw-in for the following scenario: A1 dribbling in the FC, the ball bounces off his foot into the BC. He chases it down and picks up the dribble again in the lane in the BC.
After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from an out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 11:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yes, Billy, we all know where it goes. I'd be interested to see where Stiffler's friends would do it.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 11:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Royal We ??? The Royal All ???

Quote:
Yes, Billy, we all know where it goes.
We do? We all do? I will agree with you that you know where it goes, that I know where it goes, and that almost all Forum members, both esteemed members, and regular, dues-paying, rank and file, members, know where it goes, but haven't you ever had a partner, or observed a subvarsity official, spot the ball at the division line for all backcourt violations? That's why this is on the Mythbusters list, and deservedly so.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 26, 2011 at 04:19pm.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 03:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We do? We all do? I will agree with you that you know where it goes, that I know where it goes, and that almost all Forum members, both esteemed members, and regular, dues-paying, rank and file, members, know where it goes, but haven't you ever had a partner, or observed a subvarsity official, spot the ball at the division line for all backcourt violations? That's why this is on the Mythbusters list, and deservedly so.

I have plenty of partners who attempt to put the ball in play in the new back court for BC violations that occur near the division line.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 08:11pm
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, Billy, we all know where it goes. I'd be interested to see where Stiffler's friends would do it.

This doesn't have anything to do with hiding the salami does it.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio