The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 01:50pm
Ok is the new good

Help on 3 man

Have my first 3 Man in 2 hours and need some quick basics on proper rotation and when to rotate...Thanks!
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

there is alot too 3 man mechanics too much to learn in a couple hours but basically when your the lead ( on the endline) and the ball crosses the FT lane line extended you need to start the rotation close down alittle or completly rotate over. also one of my biggest faults with three man is getting stuck behind the center yes for some reason i find myself stacked either just infront or just behind the center
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Referee the game, fill in when a rotation is kicked. Look at a diagram of your PCA and officiate with in that area.
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 04:31pm
This IS My Social Life

Oh my. Doing a 3 man game with that question needing to be answered? No prior study of the mechanics? No camps where instruction was given and dozens of camp games were done under the eyes of helpful clinicians? No study of available online video resources? Seriously, I hope this is a scrimmage or a game that doesn't ready count for anything. I sincerely wish you the best, but......
Let us know how it went.

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Jun 26, 2011 at 03:31am.
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 05:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Tell your partners it's your first 3-man game. They need to know you're new at it, so they don't rotate you into confusion.
Then, worry about two things.
1. Triangle coverage. Two on one side, one on the other side forming the third point of the triangle.
2. Just call your game.

Everything else can be adjusted during dead balls.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 08:14am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Question Inquiring minds want to know.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Have my first 3 Man in 2 hours and need some quick basics on proper rotation and when to rotate...Thanks!
So, how'd it go? Lessons learned? Things you liked? Things you didn't like? Areas to concentrate/work on next time?

What advice would YOU now give a newbie doing his first 3-person game?
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
one of my biggest faults with three man is getting stuck behind the center yes for some reason i find myself stacked either just infront or just behind the center
I get being stacked in front of the C. You didn't go to L, but how in the world do you get stacked behind him??
Sounds like the crew has no partner awareness...

In 3 person when running from T-L if you're looking back at your closest matchup & where the ball is, look for some stripes as well. If someone is behind you, you are the new L... if not, slow down because you are STILL the C.

You're either ball watching or not recognizing rotations.

Last edited by tref; Sun Jun 26, 2011 at 10:18pm.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 10:17pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
He hasn't checked back in. You know what THAT means. Yep. OVERTIME!
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 10:23pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
So, how'd it go? Lessons learned? Things you liked? Things you didn't like? Areas to concentrate/work on next time?

What advice would YOU now give a newbie doing his first 3-person game?
UPDATE: Game went well worked with 2 Vets and they basically told me to follow their lead...I close down and cross the key when the ball position dictated and never rotated on the shot across the key. Refereed my competive match ups as normal and my trail work was similar to 2 man as well. Lot easier to have 3 man..What a HUGE Difference.

When we did pregame with each coach they said..great to see 3 man crew and vet said well he is a rookie so really 2 1/2 Men..Right Charlie Sheen
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
UPDATE: Game went well worked with 2 Vets and they basically told me to follow their lead...I close down and cross the key when the ball position dictated and never rotated on the shot across the key. Refereed my competive match ups as normal and my trail work was similar to 2 man as well. Lot easier to have 3 man..What a HUGE Difference.

When we did pregame with each coach they said..great to see 3 man crew and vet said well he is a rookie so really 2 1/2 Men..Right Charlie Sheen

I have an issue with your partner saying that. To me that is throwing you under the bus preemptively.

If a coach said that to me with a rookie on the crew I'd respond with " ya, it's always good to work a 3 person game" or something like that.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 07:32am
This IS My Social Life

Post-Game Review

Congratulations on surviving your first three-man (ok, "three person-") crew experience!
As this has hopefully whetted your appetite to do more, be sure to take every opportunity you can get to go to as many games as you can to observe good three-man crews in action. Also, look for a good three-man camp in your area to attend. Guys in our area who are that new to three-man would get eaten up by the coaches who know what they're looking for from a crew, so the very fact that you survived well seems to speak for your desire to do the best and advance. Some assignors, if you blow a three-man assignment as a newer official, will hesitate to assign you more in the future.
You bit off a big chunk of the proverbial apple and enjoyed the taste. Good job.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 07:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
I have an issue with your partner saying that. To me that is throwing you under the bus preemptively.

You can't say that without knowing the type of reputation or relationship that official has with coaches.

That may be his way of saying "let the kid work and stay off his back".
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 09:23am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Congratulations on surviving your first three-man (ok, "three person-") crew experience!
He keeps at it, he won't be "The_Rookie" any longer!
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 09:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You can't say that without knowing the type of reputation or relationship that official has with coaches.

That may be his way of saying "let the kid work and stay off his back".
While I can't imagine ever saying this to a coach, and even the idea of it makes me cringe, I suppose it's not necessarily horrible depending on the circumstances.

1. It's summer ball.
2. Veteran official's familiarity with the coach.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 11:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
While I can't imagine ever saying this to a coach, and even the idea of it makes me cringe, I suppose it's not necessarily horrible depending on the circumstances.

1. It's summer ball.
2. Veteran official's familiarity with the coach.
We have a lot of conversations during the summer we would never have other times. And this would never be something I would say, but it is possible this was rather and informal comment which it might work for that audience. Hard to say or know at this point.

Peace