The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:35pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Question

I have had two games this year where I was the official granting a request for a timeout. As I go to the area to report the timeout I am asking anyone from the requesting team what they would like. I get no response from anyone and grant a full timeout. Just as soon as I do this the assistant coach (both games) goes nuts saying that they requested a 30. I just tell him that he needs to be sure that I am aware of what they want before I report it. I let them know that I asked twice before I reported and got no response and they always say that the coach signaled when he requested. The first time it happened the assistant was out on the floor in my face and my partner came over and told him that the next time he comes out on the floor to get in someone face like that his next step better be towards the locker room and that his only responsibility during a timeout is to make sure that the granting official knows what was requested. Do you think that I handled the time out sitch correctly or is there something that I could have done to prevent this from happening? Any input is greatly appreciated. Since it has happened to me twice I was wondering if maybe it was something I was doing wrong.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

One can be hard @@@ about it but I give the teams time to clear, walk to the coach but not into the huddle and ask what he wants, then walk to the table and report/start the TO. I'll give the coach a moment or 2 to reply before I ask a second and last time. No reply at that point and it is a full and the start is given where I am standing.

The one problem I have with your question is that the Asst. coach was not tossed. Asst. coaches have less than zero standing with me.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Do you think that I handled the time out sitch correctly or is there something that I could have done to prevent this from happening? Any input is greatly appreciated. Since it has happened to me twice I was wondering if maybe it was something I was doing wrong.
w_sohl,
We deal with idiots sometime. The game seemingly revolves around what they want and when they want it.

Given that fact, if the table happens to assure me that a 30 was requested, I'll go with it, but then after my "long signal", I sure as heck better go let the other team know about it, as well as remember to offer the other team the same courtesy if necessary.
mick
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

My pregame mtg. with coaches is very short. However, I always include this:
"Let us know what kind of time-out you want and stick with it until you know we've seen it. If we get to the reporting area and don't know what type you requested, it's going to be a full." Seems to work pretty good. If your situation occurred I'd say, "coach, we talked about it in the pregame."

I don't think it's fair to go interrupt the other teams huddle to now tell them it's changed from a full to a 30 after I've reported it initially as a 30.

Z
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:52pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
One can be hard @@@ about it but I give the teams time to clear, walk to the coach but not into the huddle and ask what he wants, then walk to the table and report/start the TO. I'll give the coach a moment or 2 to reply before I ask a second and last time. No reply at that point and it is a full and the start is given where I am standing.

The one problem I have with your question is that the Asst. coach was not tossed. Asst. coaches have less than zero standing with me.
I do regret not at least giving the asst. a T. We had a good game though, it was Lake Forest versus Warren in Illinois. Bill Cartwright's kid goes to Lake Forest.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
My pregame mtg. with coaches is very short. However, I always include this:
"Let us know what kind of time-out you want and stick with it until you know we've seen it. If we get to the reporting area and don't know what type you requested, it's going to be a full." Seems to work pretty good. If your situation occurred I'd say, "coach, we talked about it in the pregame."

I don't think it's fair to go interrupt the other teams huddle to now tell them it's changed from a full to a 30 after I've reported it initially as a 30.

Z
Z I do the same thing in my capn/coach pregame meeting. If they don't listen you have told them. They have plenty of time to let you know what they want on your way to the reporting area. If I see no signal, I'll ask once "what do you want coach" count to 2 and then issue the full.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

On the other hand

I have, twice this season, had eye contact with an official, called, "Timeout, thrity seconds," gave the signal of hands to shoulders, got an acknowleging nod and a whistle from the ref, then had the ref come over and ask me full or thirty. So it is not always us. You all do not always hear or take in everything we say, even though you appear to confirm it.

If one of these refs had given me a full because I didn't hear them ask me what type of TO (while I am trying to use my 30 seconds with my team), I would have given them a piece of my mind as well.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: On the other hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I have, twice this season, had eye contact with an official, called, "Timeout, thrity seconds," gave the signal of hands to shoulders, got an acknowleging nod and a whistle from the ref, then had the ref come over and ask me full or thirty. So it is not always us. You all do not always hear or take in everything we say, even though you appear to confirm it.

If one of these refs had given me a full because I didn't hear them ask me what type of TO (while I am trying to use my 30 seconds with my team), I would have given them a piece of my mind as well.
Hawks:

I appreciate this as long as you gave a clear signal and the ref saw you. Although I have viewed some coaches giving a timeout signal that looks nothing like a 30 or a sixty. Also you have assistants one of them can be responsible for letting us know exactly what you want. If we would miss your always cristal clear signal that would be why we asked you again what you wanted. Besides your 30 or 60 seconds does not start until we have reported who called the timeout, what it is and then directed the timer to start the clock. That is why I will mention a clear verbal and signal in my pregame as well as when the whistle is blown for a time-out I will be looking directly at the bench as I approach to report. While waiting for the players to clear if I have not viewed a clear signal/verbalization I will then ask. Then and only then when ignored will a full be granted.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Cool My signal is crystal clear. . .

and I ensure the ref sees it. I just get surprised when refs nod intelligently only to follow up with a question that indicates the opposite
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Re: My signal is crystal clear. . .

Quote:
and I ensure the ref sees it. I just get surprised when refs nod intelligently only to follow up with a question that indicates the opposite
We refs have a lot on our mind. what was that coach you want a TO.....Whistle OK timeout...I see he wants a 30 excuse me #22....... ok ball is on the baseline w/ offense being able to run..... Who was it again that called timeout???? Yeah right V coach OK..... Timeout white called by.....the coach........uhh coach what was that you wanted again?????

Of course this never happens to me or anyone else on this board
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Hawks Coach is right, if an official isn't zone in enough, they could mess it up. But ultimately, it's the coaches who control what happens here.

I have plenty of coaches who immediately and clearly signal long or short after a timeout call. So obviously, it can be done. Unfotunately there are some who don't signal, mumble it, mutter it, or half-signal when I'm not looking, and expect me to "get it" even in a loud gym with lots going on.

On our part, the key is SLOW DOWN, let the situation come to a dull roar, make eye contact with the bench, and make full effort to get it right. After that, coach has no beef.

Bottom line, coaches, is the TO doesn't mean much to us, but is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to you. So in the end it's your responsibility to get what you want. Take the extra time after calling "timeout" to be explicit. There's no rush; your TO doesn't start until I report it.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. I would rather you get the direction right first, especially after two incidents of refs getting the inbounding team wrong this year as well (it has really been a strange year - I haven't had these things in bunches before!). So I should be sure that you have it right when you are reporting it.

On our side, once we've called it, we are going through a million things as well, so it kinda works both ways. If I am calling a time out, there is definitely a reason and that is where I am focused. Except in clock management situations at end of games, I will end every game with 3-4 TOs. I am not a heavy user - I save them in case we have a tight finish. So a TO from me means I got lots on my mind!

But I clearly see how this can happen to an official given tha they are covering a lot in their head as the TO is called. So I just need to be aware of watching you report and taking a little bit of time before jumping into my TO huddle.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Hawks Coach,

A couple of coaches in our league designate one of their assistant coaches as their "time-out assistant." Once the head coach calls a T.O., the assistant stands there signaling which type (30 or full) until we have reported. Now there is a fail-proof technique and I cannot tell you how much we refs appreciate that! I highly recommend it.

Z
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 09:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

You all (notice I did not say "y'all") do realize, don't you, that nowhere in the NF rulebook or the NF officials manual does it state that you are to ask the coach whether he wants a 30 or a 60?

NF Officials Manual, p.43, section 272: "Sound your whistle while giving the clock-stopping signal. While moving to the reporting area, look for verification from a coach as to what type of timeout is to be charged. Within the reporting area, give the appropriate time-out signal..."

The responsibility is on the coach to indicate to you that he wants a 30 before you report. If he doesn't, it's a 60. Period.

Of course, if his initial request includes the word "thirty" or he gives the hands-to-shoulders signal, then he has indicated to you that he wants a 30 prior to you reporting, the same as if he said "thirty" as you walk towards the table after granting the initial request from the floor.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 10:16pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: My signal is crystal clear. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
Quote:
We refs have a lot on our mind. what was that coach you want a TO.....Whistle OK timeout...I see he wants a 30 excuse me #22....... ok ball is on the baseline w/ offense being able to run..... Who was it again that called timeout???? Yeah right V coach OK..... Timeout white called by.....the coach........uhh coach what was that you wanted again?????

Of course this never happens to me or anyone else on this board
That never happens to me! ...But my partners really have a heavy load.