View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: On the other hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I have, twice this season, had eye contact with an official, called, "Timeout, thrity seconds," gave the signal of hands to shoulders, got an acknowleging nod and a whistle from the ref, then had the ref come over and ask me full or thirty. So it is not always us. You all do not always hear or take in everything we say, even though you appear to confirm it.

If one of these refs had given me a full because I didn't hear them ask me what type of TO (while I am trying to use my 30 seconds with my team), I would have given them a piece of my mind as well.
Hawks:

I appreciate this as long as you gave a clear signal and the ref saw you. Although I have viewed some coaches giving a timeout signal that looks nothing like a 30 or a sixty. Also you have assistants one of them can be responsible for letting us know exactly what you want. If we would miss your always cristal clear signal that would be why we asked you again what you wanted. Besides your 30 or 60 seconds does not start until we have reported who called the timeout, what it is and then directed the timer to start the clock. That is why I will mention a clear verbal and signal in my pregame as well as when the whistle is blown for a time-out I will be looking directly at the bench as I approach to report. While waiting for the players to clear if I have not viewed a clear signal/verbalization I will then ask. Then and only then when ignored will a full be granted.