Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Re: Tower Philosophy

Quote:
Originally posted by eckert
Does everyone else agree with Jurassic that the Tower Philosophy has been extended to lines and violations?
I do it.

Example: B scores, then drops back to A's frontcourt. A1 passes the ball in to A2 at about the FT line. A2 catches the ball, facing B's basket with his/her right foot on the floor. Then, all in one move puts left foot down, lifts right foot, pivots on left foot (to face about the sideline), pushes ball to floor to start dribble up court.

Technically: Travel.

Called: Almost never.

Now, if A2 pivoted completely arouond and put the right foot back on the floor, it's called. Or, if the same move was at the other end, and A2 used it to drive to the basket, it's called.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Mick (and others who've never seen it),

I've got a copy at home of the Tower philosophy that I received at a clinic a few years ago. I'll dig it up tonight and post it on the Board this weekend.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 12:05pm
In Memoriam

Way cool !

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
Mick (and others who've never seen it),

I've got a copy at home of the Tower philosophy that I received at a clinic a few years ago. I'll dig it up tonight and post it on the Board this weekend.
Thanks, Barry.
I look forward to it.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 12:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Tower Philosophy

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

I do it.

Example: B scores, then drops back to A's frontcourt. A1 passes the ball in to A2 at about the FT line. A2 catches the ball, facing B's basket with his/her right foot on the floor. Then, all in one move puts left foot down, lifts right foot, pivots on left foot (to face about the sideline), pushes ball to floor to start dribble up court.

Technically: Travel.

Called: Almost never.

Now, if A2 pivoted completely arouond and put the right foot back on the floor, it's called. Or, if the same move was at the other end, and A2 used it to drive to the basket, it's called.
Bob,

I agree with you that is is almost never called, but would take issue as to why. Most officials or at least many officials, do not know a travel when they see them. I see many players attempt a jump stop and it is either called or not called properly because they do not see it, or understand what took place in relation to the rules. I have seen the more athletic teams in our state, do a legal jump stop and the official will call a travel when both their feet hit the floor. I have seen even when a player completes a jumpstop, and when that player pivots one of his feet, the officials call nothing. Now I agree that you should not call a violation if you are not 100% sure it took place (palming for example), but the reality is that many officials do not know a travel when it happens. Especially if an official is not used to seeing a Class AA team that is very athletic and plays the game above the rim. It was an adjustment for me, who started out with mostly Class A teams I had officiated, I know I am not the only one.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Tower Philosophy

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I have seen even when a player completes a jumpstop, and when that player pivots one of his feet, the officials call nothing.
Rut,
That could quite possibly be legal.
You can always lift your pivot foot to shoot or pass. Also, if you ended the dribble in the air or caught the ball in the air before you came down on two feet simultaneously, either foot could be the pivot.

Z
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 12:31pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tower Philosophy

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I have seen even when a player completes a jumpstop, and when that player pivots one of his feet, the officials call nothing.
Rut,
That could quite possibly be legal.
You can always lift your pivot foot to shoot or pass. Also, if you ended the dribble in the air or caught the ball in the air before you came down on two feet simultaneously, either foot could be the pivot.

Z
Rut said he pivoted after a jump stop.
Yer totally changin' the action described.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tower Philosophy

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Not changin'... just clarifyin'. If after a jump stop, the player pivots, it's OK so long as he doesn't put the pivot foot back down. By definition, I suppose it isn't a pivot unless the pivot foot does come down so I guess I should say, "if after a jump stop, the player lifts...."

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Jan 31st, 2003 at 12:59 PM]
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tower Philosophy

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Not changin'... just clarifyin'. If after a jump stop, the player pivots, it's OK so long as he doesn't put the pivot foot back down. By definition, I suppose it isn't a pivot unless the pivot foot does come down so I guess I should say, "if after a jump stop, the player lifts...."

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Jan 31st, 2003 at 12:59 PM]
Z is correct. The player may lift the foot and pass or shoot before returning the lifted foot to the floor. The player may also jum off of the one foot still on the ground. Only when the lifted foot returns to the floor w/ the ball in that players posession do we have a travel.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 03:24pm
In Memoriam

Back on line,the real question is "if you KNOW that something is definitely a violation,do you still call that violation using advantage/disadvantage?".
Some examples:
-3 seconds-player at top of key with one foot on a lane line
-player stepping over end line on a throw-in when there's no pressure
-10 seconds on FT shooter
-5 seconds when defender is exactly 6 feet away from dribbler and not applying pressure
-10 second call when ball is passed over the center line in the air,but hasn't been touched yet.
-etc.,etc
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm, I forgot about the post

An excellent example of advantage/disadvantage is "never" (there is that word again) call 3 seconds on a player "leaving" the lane area.

It is a "technically" a violation of the rule but if you call it you will not advance.

A common sense approach to officiating can go a real long ways.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 03:40pm
Esteemed Participant

I'm not sure anyone can honestly say they have never used the Tower phil. on violations...a perfect examle from my game last night - Visitor's losing by 20 plus in second half, and visitor point guard obviously palms/carries the ball in her backcourt - didn't call it...same game, same score range - V center camped in key for about 6 seconds - I step toward her and tell her to get out...that is Tower's thinking at work...we all do that at one time or another...
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'm w/ JR, rocky, and T. You have to use dicression on some violations such as those JR listed above. IMO look at intent. If the player is attempting to clear the lane but is in there for 3.2 secs do we have a call?? You can see the examples coming... Keep the flow of the game going call the violation depending upon the skill level, intent, advantage/disadvantage created, and the score and time remaining in the game. I am not saying that we should ignore gross and obvious violations but use extreme discression in what we do and do not call in some of these situations. The but coach a violation is a violation is a foul is a foul philosophy in one light is the fact that I have the rule book nailed shut in my head but to the coach can come off as a whistle happy official who has no "feel" for the flow of a basketball game and therefor not a very good oficial. It is a fine line we walk in-deed.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Girls varsity game the other night. Player A1 palms the ball every time she dribbled. If she was bringing it out of backcourt with no pressure, we ignored it. As soon as she used it to get around a player, we called it. Amazingly, neither coach had a problem with it being called that way.

Z
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Tower Philosophy

eckert,
I dunno.
I never read the Tower Philosophy.
If you have read it, where may I find it?
mick

[email protected] [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know that the Tower philosphy was ever written. It comes from Oswald Tower who was a member of the basketball National Rules Committee. I am not sure if their is written documentation of the philosophy. Others may know.

I do have a book by Clegg and Thompson called Modern Sports officiating which mentions the philosphy. It affirms the fact that it is not related to violations or out of bounds.
However, each situation is different (game level, score...)
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 10:26pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: Tower Philosophy

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
It affirms the fact that it is not related to violations or out of bounds.
However, each situation is different (game level, score...) [/B][/QUOTE]Aha! Good last sentence to think about!