The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tower Philosophy (Advantage-Disadvantage) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7227-tower-philosophy-advantage-disadvantage.html)

eckert Wed Jan 29, 2003 06:05pm

Isn't the Tower Philosophy (advantage-disadvantage) about contact between opponents on the floor? As I recall, it isn't about "no calls" in reference to lines, violations and other rules.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jan 29, 2003 08:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by eckert
Isn't the Tower Philosophy (advantage-disadvantage) about contact between opponents on the floor? As I recall, it isn't about "no calls" in reference to lines, violations and other rules.

You are absolutely correct.

firedoc Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:22pm

Correct. Violations should always be penalized,but personal fouls are a matter of opinion: hence the advantage/disadvantage philosophy.

dhodges007 Thu Jan 30, 2003 07:46am

Quote:

Originally posted by firedoc
Correct. Violations should always be penalized,but personal fouls are a matter of opinion: hence the advantage/disadvantage philosophy.
Unless you are in a middle school game and want to be done in a decent time (less than four hours) :p

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:18am

Quote:

Originally posted by firedoc
Yup,and then the philosophy got extended and expanded.Examples are someone stepping over the line on a throw-in when there's no pressure,3 seconds,10 seconds on a FT shooter,unofficial warnings for "delay of game" situations,huddling before a FT,etc.

eckert Thu Jan 30, 2003 01:40pm

Tower Philosophy

Does everyone else agree with Jurassic that the Tower Philosophy has been extended to lines and violations?

zebraman Thu Jan 30, 2003 01:43pm

I do. Sure seems that way to me.
Z

mick Thu Jan 30, 2003 01:57pm

Re: Tower Philosophy

Quote:

Does everyone else agree with Jurassic that the Tower Philosophy has been extended to lines and violations?
eckert,
I dunno.
I never read the Tower Philosophy.
If you have read it, where may I find it?
mick

[email protected]

MN 3 Sport Ref Thu Jan 30, 2003 02:15pm

Quote:

I say yes. I as an official and I suspect others use the term advantage/disadvantage (tower) pertaining to situations where descresion is used in making/not making a call whatever that may be (foul/violation etc). I believe the flow of the game and skill level TO A LIMITED POINT are factors in what is called out on the court.

JRutledge Thu Jan 30, 2003 04:11pm

Quote:

No, I do not agree with that assertion. If something is obvious, it needs to be called. Many times people call violations that everyone does not see or even understand. I do not think it is always about advantage/disadvantage, but to some they might precieve it that way. I think violations have be called when they are obvious, not when there is necessarily an advantage gained. Fouls have to be looked at differently, mainly because we are talking about contact. If we call all contact as fouls without considering the advantage or disadvantage of a play, we might be calling fouls all night and the game will never get a flow. Fans come to see the players play, not officials call fouls all day.

Peace

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 30, 2003 05:56pm

Re: Re: Tower Philosophy

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

No, I do not agree with that assertion. If something is obvious, it needs to be called.

Just to set the record straight,all I am saying is that a lot of officials ARE currently using the Tower Philosophy with regards to violations.They look to make a lot of,if not most,violation calls by advantage/disadvantage.If you disagree with that,you are saying that officials aren't using it and are going strictly by the book when it comes to calling violations-i.e.if a offensive player has a toe on a lane line,they're gonna call 3 seconds as soon as they do get to three(without any warning).

I haven't commented yet on how I call it personally.

I believe that this was a thread that Tim C. was thinking of posting the other day.Tee,that right?

JRutledge Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:17pm

Just a different point of view.

JR, you are missing the point.

I do not agree that you should use the Tower Principle for violations. I think you should call the obvious fouls and violations, not just the ones that you are the only one in the gym can see. Maybe doing that, there is going to be advantage, but I think you do not call a travel unless it is really there. Do not call what "looked like" a travel. Just another way to look at it. I am not saying your are wrong, just do not agree with that philosophy personally. ;)

Peace

mick Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:43pm

Re: Just a different point of view.

Quote:

JR, you are missing the point.

I do not agree that you should use the Tower Principle for violations. I think you should call the obvious fouls and violations, not just the ones that you are the only one in the gym can see. Maybe doing that, there is going to be advantage, but I think you do not call a travel unless it is really there. Do not call what "looked like" a travel. Just another way to look at it. I am not saying your are wrong, just do not agree with that philosophy personally. ;)

Peace

Rut,
JR was asking for an observation. He wasn't judging right, wrong or indifferent.

He specifically said. "I haven't commented yet on how I call it personally."

So it's tough to disagree with a question.

mick

JRutledge Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:47pm

I need to make myself clear.

Mick,

I am not really disagreeing with JR, I am disagreeing with the philosophy itself for violations. I think it does not fit the same for violations, they way it does for fouls.

Sorry if I did not make that clearer.

Peace

mick Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:55pm

Re: I need to make myself clear.

Quote:

Mick,

I am not really disagreeing with JR, I am disagreeing with the philosophy itself for violations. I think it does not fit the same for violations, they way it does for fouls.

Sorry if I did not make that clearer.

Peace

Rut,
No, praw. I sorta figgered you weren't disagreeing, but rather than guess, I thought I'd ask.

I have a feeling for the "Tower Philosophy", but what the heck is it? I've never read it. I believe it exists, but what the Hey?

Is it written?
Is it word-of-mouth?
Is it one statement?
Is it a guess?
Is it a wish?

mick