The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS: I had a JV game yesterday and I stayed and watched the varsity game. The star player on the home team need 11 points to go into the 1000 point "club". The game was not expected to be close b/c the home team has a devastating full court press.

Surprisingly the visting team stayed within 8-10 points into the second half as the home star was really forcing up bad shots. Finally with about 8 minutes to go in the second half he scored his 1000th point and the official immediately blew his whistle to stop play. Next came about 5 mintues of ceremonies: a cheer leading routine, pictures with the AD, the coach, the parents, etc. Then the ball was put into play and the home team set up their full court press again.
The home team got fired up by all of this "celebrating" and went on to blow out the visiting team.

Just wondering how other have handled these "ceremonial" situations? It looked like they pre-arranged to stop play on the 100th point or maybe somebody called a time out? What if the visting team demanded the home team be charged with multiple time outs or a "T" for delay?

thanks
GTW
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Troward, it's an old thread, but check out http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...?threadid=3970

Similar to your sitch.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 04:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
Just wondering how other have handled these "ceremonial" situations? It looked like they pre-arranged to stop play on the 100th point or maybe somebody called a time out? What if the visting team demanded the home team be charged with multiple time outs or a "T" for delay?
Troward,
In my case, I was advised that this would happen and that the visitors already knew. So, I said, "Okay", and then went over to the visitors to make sure they knew.

If the visitors got nasty about it, they would put themselves in a very awkward postion when their player hit 1,000. Talk 'em out of complaining. Should be a very easy sell.
mick
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Troward,
In my case, I was advised that this would happen and that the visitors already knew. So, I said, "Okay", and then went over to the visitors to make sure they knew.

If the visitors got nasty about it, they would put themselves in a very awkward postion when their player hit 1,000. Talk 'em out of complaining. Should be a very easy sell.
mick
I've had three of these this year -- handled just this way. No complaints -- just make sure everyone knows ahead of time.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Troward, it's an old thread, but check out http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...?threadid=3970

Similar to your sitch.
Fascinating that it was almost EXACTLY a year ago!
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I saw this happen at a game a few years ago. The visitors just went to the locker room for five minutes so that they wouldn't be distracted by all the attention the star got. Yes, everything is arranged and the officials are told before the game that when it happens, we want the game stopped for the cerimony.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Similar to your sitch.
Fascinating that it was almost EXACTLY a year ago!
We had two of these exactly a month apart this year, on 12/28 and 1/28. Not a problem either time. The one from this week, I told the opposing coach, we told the officials, and as soon as it happened in the first quarter the timer hit the horn and we did our thing, about a minute. We'll make a bigger deal out of it before our home game tomorrow.

The one from 12/28, well, my player needed 22 and that's a bit over her average. We're coming from behind in the fourth, and I know she's got to have 15+. So with about 2 minutes left in a one-point game, I have my asst tell the scorers table not to stop it if she gets it. Didn't like the idea of emotion affecting it one way or the other. We go to OT, get up by seven with a minute left, and the opponents call timeout. They announce that she just made it a minute earlier. I felt a little bad that we didn't get to stop the game for her, but what could be better than your 1,000th point being a key basket in an overtime win!