The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

When a team is assesed a personal foul(in this case non-shooting in a bonus 1 and 1 situation) and then a technical foul, how are the shots administered? In our game, we were assesed a personal foul and then a technical foul (which involved my player not hearing the wistle, stealing the ball after the foul and going the other way) and it resulted in the technical shots, then the one and one with players cleared out as if these were technical shots AND Then, they also got the ball. This play gave them a potential 6 point play. Also, when does the clock start on a free throw shot? In this same game, the opposing team had one second on the clock, missed the free throw, bobbled the ball and then shot it in to tie the game. The clock never started, and my position was that there was no time for a miss, a tip and bobble and then a shot. Thank you.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 05:56am
In Memoriam

Coach,welcome to the board.I'm assuming that you're referring to NFHS(high school)rules,so I'll use them.

In the situation where you received the two fouls,the penalties for the fouls are always administered in the order that the fouls occured.In this case,that means 1 and 1 for the personal foul,followed by 2 shots for the T(all free throws with the lane cleared),followed by the other team getting a throw-in at center.

On the free throw,the clock is supposed to start when the missed shot is touched by,or touches,a player on the floor.It does sound like you had a slow timer,but none of us can really comment for sure unless we actually see it.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
In the situation where you received the two fouls,the penalties for the fouls are always administered in the order that the fouls occured.In this case,that means 1 and 1 for the personal foul,followed by 2 shots for the T(all free throws with the lane cleared),followed by the other team getting a throw-in at center.
I'll add that even if the throws were shot in the wrong order (T first, then the 1-1) as the coach said, it's not a correctable error or anything similar.

All the awarded throws were shot, so just continue with the throw-in for the T.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

I'll add that even if the throws were shot in the wrong order (T first, then the 1-1) as the coach said, it's not a correctable error or anything similar.

All the awarded throws were shot, so just continue with the throw-in for the T.
Eh.

Let's say A1 was fouled (2 shots), and A2 is designated to shoot the technical FT's. If A2 shoots first, isn't this 2-10-1c. - wrong player attempting the FT. (Just wanting to know, because I had a game explode over this issue.)

Also, on a side note, NF rules state that fouls are administered in the order in which they occur. Can anyone think of a situation in which you would shoot shots for T's followed by a 1-and-1?

Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 05:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
[/B]
Let's say A1 was fouled (2 shots), and A2 is designated to shoot the technical FT's. If A2 shoots first, isn't this 2-10-1c. - wrong player attempting the FT. (Just wanting to know, because I had a game explode over this issue.)
[/B][/QUOTE]A2 isn't violating R2-10-1c.If A2 is designated,as above,he/she is then the legal shooter of this FT. Rule 2-10-1c is used when someone replaces a legal shooter,as in A2 trying to shoot A1's FT's when A1 was fouled(2 shots for a personal foul).
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
[/B]
A2 isn't violating R2-10-1c.If A2 is designated,as above,he/she is then the legal shooter of this FT. Rule 2-10-1c is used when someone replaces a legal shooter,as in A2 trying to shoot A1's FT's when A1 was fouled(2 shots for a personal foul). [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry - should have cleared this up. B1 fouls A1 while team A is in the double bonus. Coach B then gets a technical for puking on the refs shoes, and A2 is designated to shoot the technical free throws. If A2 shoots two, and then A1 shoots two, haven't the wrong players attempted the wrong FT's?
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[B]
Eh.

Let's say A1 was fouled (2 shots), and A2 is designated to shoot the technical FT's. If A2 shoots first, isn't this 2-10-1c. - wrong player attempting the FT. (Just wanting to know, because I had a game explode over this issue.){/b]
Well, it depends -- if the officials "announced" that the 1-1 was being shot, and A2 stepped to the line, then "announced" the T and A1 stepped to the line, we could have a correctable error situation.

If the officials "announced" the fouls in the wrong order, but right person attempted the throws, then it's not correctable.

Quote:
Also, on a side note, NF rules state that fouls are administered in the order in which they occur. Can anyone think of a situation in which you would shoot shots for T's followed by a 1-and-1?
If a common foul was committed after the T, while the ball was live, before the clock started on the ensuing throw-in.

For example, B gets a T. During the first throw for the T, B1 fouls A1 (it would be hard for this not to be intentional or flagrant, but possible). Or, (more likely) B1 fouls A1 during the throw-in after the T.

Or -- A1's try is in the air. During the try, B1 swears at an official (T) followed by B2 fouling A2 while getting rebound position. Since the ball didn't become dead from the T until the try ended, B2's foul is a common foul -- shoot the 1-1 (assuming bonus, of course).