The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Jason Kidd travel?

In 4th game between the Mavs and Thunder, during the OT, Jason Kidd sank a three-pointer to go up 3. During the replay the announcers were talking about his feet being behind the line, but I saw a clear travel. On the play, Kidd caught the pass with both feet planted. He faked a shot, kept both feet planted, but as the defender flew by Kidd stepped to the right with his right foot (one step), then with his left (two steps), then took the shot.

Am I missing something here? When he stepped to the right with his right foot, didn't that make his left foot the pivot?
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 05:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Welcome to the board.

If I am thinking of the same play (the one the announcers were saying might be a two) that looked clean to me. I think his left foot was the pivot foot and he stepped forward with his right foot (that got close to the line). Now maybe if you have video I can know for sure but I remember that play being legal.

Peace
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

I couldn't find any video, but he definitely was set, both feet planted, then stepped with his right, then his left, and shot with both feet planted. Why is that not a travel?
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 02:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlywood View Post
I couldn't find any video, but he definitely was set, both feet planted, then stepped with his right, then his left, and shot with both feet planted. Why is that not a travel?
Because it's the NBE and they just don't call that stuff.
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. Plywood - welcome to the club !!!!!!!

Assuming that you are right (I remember the play, but am not sure about it being a travel), JKidd doesn't really gain an AD, as he doesn't go past / beat / gain an advantage, whatever you want to say as he sets his feet to shoot the ball....

Just IMO .......

BTW - As a first time poster you got J Rut and Padg to reply to your post, take the time to absorb over 20, 000 posts of knowledge !!!!!!!!!!
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

I vaguely remember the play but don't remember if there was a travel or not. If it happened as you say, it would be a travel. This isn't a reviewable matter either.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri May 27, 2011, 05:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Could have simply been a missed call. Happens all the time at all levels.
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, he traveled.

No, they're not going to make that call in the NBA.

Yes, I've called it and will again.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 10:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

None of that is relevant. If it's big enough to see, you call it. If you need 7 replays to see it, you don't call it regardless of the magnitude of the game.

Last edited by APG; Mon May 20, 2013 at 07:09pm. Reason: Removed quoted post at request of user
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 02:05am
We don't rent pigs

Here's where we are:

1. This is the rule.

2. This is how we're going to call it.

The two seem to be getting farther apart to me.

In the NBA and the NCAA a travel immediately followed by a shot attempted is often ignored, apparently by design. I see too many to believe otherwise.

I have not seen the play at hand. Apparently it is a given that Kidd did indeed move the pivot foot. (minutely?)

Unwritten rule: If the violation is minute, it could/should/must be ignored?

This sucks. Now we must decide what is minute.

The argument that it was not seen in real time is often valid, but not the point. If I miss it, it's just missed. Sometimes the miss is justified, sometimes not. But if I see it, and I call it, and any replay does confirm it, nobody can complain.

If making a technically correct call, no matter how minute, keeps me from returning anywhere, I don't care to be there.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Sat May 28, 2011 at 04:08pm.
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

So, I'm a liar, eh?

I really don't care what you believe.

Kidd squared up. The defender ran out at him, jumped, and forced him to change his shot. He stepped with both feet, took and made the shot, there by gaining an advantage by traveling.

Yes, I've called it and will again.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by APG; Mon May 20, 2013 at 07:09pm. Reason: Removed quoted post at request of user
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 11:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Call It When You See It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
He stepped with both feet, took and made the shot, there by gaining an advantage by traveling.
I don't get a chance to work too many state championship games, but when I observe a travel, and I'm certain it's a travel, I'm calling it, whether it's in the first minute of a Catholic middle school game in December, or it's in the final minute of a high school varsity league playoff game in March.

On the other hand, if I'm not sure it's a travel, I'm not sounding my whistle, at any level, at any time.

With few exceptions (three seconds, ten second free throw) I don't pick and choose the calls, or noncalls, that I make, or don't make, in a game when I'm certain that a violation has occurred.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

John Adams would disagree

OK so maybe the pro game you can get away with a no-call, but this is exactly the opposite of what John Adams has been preaching. Look at the end of the But / Pitt game. You could argue that the foul call was cheap because the foul occured with little time. Why are you refereeing a state championship game any differently. If this is a travel and you don't call it, then that is regarded as a missed call.......

Last edited by APG; Mon May 20, 2013 at 07:08pm. Reason: Removed quoted post at request of user
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 04:15pm
We don't rent pigs

Advantage/disadvantage and intent to draw/avoid contact: Neither is a part of the traveling rule.

Very true. But at this juncture it can.

And this is a concern to us because......??

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by APG; Mon May 20, 2013 at 07:10pm. Reason: Removed quoted post at request of user
Old Sun May 29, 2011, 05:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

And This Is News ???

This is why basketball officials everywhere find what we do so challenging. This is why we get paid the big bucks, whether it's in a Catholic middle school game, a high school varsity game, an NCAA game, or an NBA game. If one can't multi-task, then one should not become a basketball official. If one wants to officiate a less challenging sport, then become a linesman at the French open, where one can concentrate on just one thing, and if one has a question, then one can look for a mark in the clay.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by APG; Mon May 20, 2013 at 07:12pm. Reason: Removed quoted post at request of user