The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Did anyone see that backboard pass to himself? That was awesome. But I was wondering how does it go down in the official score sheet. Is that an Assist? A Rebound and a missed FG? or all of the above.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I was wondering if that could be illegal. If a player in the backcourt pick his dribble up, throws the ball off of the opponents backboard to "start another dribble", as soon as the ball hits the backboard it is illegal. Could that be applied here as not a shot, thinking the same principal as stated above. Just another look at it. Curious as to what others think.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebra1
I was wondering if that could be illegal. If a player in the backcourt pick his dribble up, throws the ball off of the opponents backboard to "start another dribble", as soon as the ball hits the backboard it is illegal. Could that be applied here as not a shot, thinking the same principal as stated above. Just another look at it. Curious as to what others think.
I think this is legal off the offensive backboard. And a nit: it is not illegal when it hits the backboard, but when it is touched again creating the double dribble; if the former dribbler does not toucht it after it hits the BB, than it's a nothing -- just as if a dribbler starts to double dribble by bouncing the ball, realizes what he did, and waits for a teammate to pick up the ball.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

True, I didn't write that the way I wanted too, I was in kind of a hurry, sorry I guess I need a patient keyboard as well as a patient whistle. lol
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

But does anyone have an answer for my question?
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jking_94577
But does anyone have an answer for my question?
We're not scorekeepers..we're officials so this answer goes under the "take it for what it's worth" category. However, I would think that it would be nothing other than a made field goal. I don't know that you can have an assist to yourself nor a rebound on a "non-try."

Z
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Just like a scorer is baseball can award a hit or an error, a basketball scorer can award a rebound or not. One thing is for sure, it is not an assist.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

This by definition is a rebound. You cannot pass to yourself, so it had to be a shot. You get your own shot, you have a rebound. Scorers have no latitude here, unlike the assist stat. You catch a missed shot, it is a rebound.

I have a 2 FGA, 1 FGM and 1 R (O).
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

if we are using NHFS rules, it doesn't necessarily have to be a rebound. This is an exception allowed in the front court, for a player to end a dribble throw it off the board and then regain all rights to dribble, shoot etc. that he would have after any other method of getting the ball. I personally think it should be illegal to do this, assuming that the throw off the board is obviously not a shot...but until the NHFS changes it, well if I ever see it I will just have to let it go....
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

According to NHFS rule, it would have to be a rebound. The reason why you regain all rights is because technically you have attempted a shot. An ugly shot but still a shot right? Also I think it would be very difficult for refs to determine if it was a missed shot or a blatant pass to themselves. And it is definitely not an easy play to complete so I don't think it should be illegal.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

if you saw what Jason did it was not a shot, it was throwing it off the backboard with no intention of it going in...I do understand the need to allow it to keep the marginal shots from being a violation, but you should not be able to blatantly throw it off of the board, with no intention of it going in, and dribble again....NHFS 4.15.4 case book....but I do appologize to you guys because it does mention catching the rebound, but not necessarily a rebounded shot...
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jking_94577
Also I think it would be very difficult for refs to determine if it was a missed shot or a blatant pass to themselves.
The officials don't have to make any determination.

The scorer must decide if it is a shot or not. If it isn't a shot, no rebound can be awarded. I don't know if the NFHS rule is the same but as the NCAA rule:

A field-goal attempt (FGA) is charged to a player any time the player shoots, throws or taps a live ball at his or her own basket, when, in the opinion of the statistician, the player is attempting to score a goal,...

In the play cmatthews describes, I think it's pretty obvious that it wasn't a shot.

Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

by rule, a player in college or high school who attempts a try at their basket is a try, then if it missed then if he/she gets it, it's a rebound. There is no rule on pertaining to particularly to assists. But as officials and scorers, scorers do not keep stats on who missed FG, assists, or rebounds. There is no room in that in the officials scorers book. The stat people use that for the coaches, media, and whoever else maybe intereseted.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iref4him
by rule, a player in college or high school who attempts a try at their basket is a try, then if it missed then if he/she gets it, it's a rebound. There is no rule on pertaining to particularly to assists. But as officials and scorers, scorers do not keep stats on who missed FG, assists, or rebounds. There is no room in that in the officials scorers book. The stat people use that for the coaches, media, and whoever else maybe intereseted.
My good friend, the statement that I quoted is DIRECTLY from the NCAA Basketball Statistics Manual. There most certainly are rules that cover statistical information, including assists.

But I will use the word statistician in the future, although we do have scorers in my area that record rebounds.