The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

In Southern Illinois (go Salukis), several of our schools broadcast varsity HS games on local radio stations. On the occasions I get a chance to listen to these, I usually hear nothing but complaints about the officiating in general and questioning of almost every call or no call. In addition, the broadcasters seem to, like most fans, display an almost fathomless lack of knowledge of the rules. I heard one mention the closely guarded count should have stopped when the player crossed the 28Â’ mark. I also know of one station that gave the referee's name coaxing the audience to call him with their displeasure. I think that was settled out of court by the way...

I guess I'd like to know if any of you have noticed how totally negative this coverage has become. Or are there glaring exceptions of unbiased play-by-play out there?

We hear of refs in all sports encountering unsportsmanlike behavior from fans, parents and players. Is this a symptom or part of the problem? Is it getting worse? I like to think the exposure can only help promote the game but I'm not so sure anymore.

No one has to answer, I'm just venting...
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC

I hear where you are comming from. There are lots of "idiots" out there that say the wrong thing at the wrong time. If they are in the stands, thats one thing, but if its on a live radio show, maybe someone can complain to the station/programming manager and maybe something they can do about the biased play by play call on the air.

Thats just BS that some guys on the air will be that unproffessional when it comes to what they say. I know that people make mistakes, but when the mistakes are made, some one has to call them on it and they have to be disciplined.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 04:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink What do you really expect?

If former players and coaches at the highest of levels are ignorant of the rules and the mechanics of officiating, then should I really expect the local "fat guy" who does the play by play at a radio station that might only have 1000 listeners at one time, to be much better? Many of these commentators are have no training or experience in the sports that they are participating on the radio or TV. So they show their experience by the things that come out of their mouth. Just the way it is. But I think the fact their are many cable stations and radio stations competing for airtime, this is to be expected the way officials are seen. Look, it is really easy to show a replay and say the officials screwed up, then having to make that split decision without the benefit of replay. Just try to edcuate those you can and let go the people you cannot. It amazes me how uneducated folks are when they ask me a question about a rule. It is like I spoke to them in Japanese. They do not understand the very basic rules, then you explain to them and they have nothing to say. Well, all in a days work.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
I usually hear nothing but complaints about the officiating in general and questioning of almost every call or no call.
I have found this to be true much of the time no matter the level of ball you listen to/watch. Some "professional" announcers are pretty good others are very bad similar to your local guys.

Quote:
In addition, the broadcasters seem to, like most fans, display an almost fathomless lack of knowledge of the rules. I heard one mention the closely guarded count should have stopped when the player crossed the 28Â’ mark.
That is because most of them have never even seen a rules book let alone picked one up and learned about the game they are so "passionate" about. Broadcasters often are simply uneducated fans who get to slobber into a mike.

Quote:
I also know of one station that gave the referee's name coaxing the audience to call him with their displeasure. I think that was settled out of court by the way.
Not surprizing. "Professional" announcers call officials by their names all the time. I wonder how much hate mail they get

Quote:
I guess I'd like to know if any of you have noticed how totally negative this coverage has become. Or are there glaring exceptions of unbiased play-by-play out there?
The coverage is often times negative. This really helps to improve our image in the public eye when you have uneducated announcers tearing our integrety to the ground at every opertune moment.

Quote:
We hear of refs in all sports encountering unsportsmanlike behavior from fans, parents and players. Is this a symptom or part of the problem? Is it getting worse? I like to think the exposure can only help promote the game but I'm not so sure anymore.
seems like part of the problem to me. IMO a lot of this behavior is learned by watching/listening to pro/college sports on TV/radio.

Quote:
No one has to answer, I'm just venting...
ME too
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I heard one mention the closely guarded count should have stopped when the player crossed the 28Â’ mark.
Well, at least he knew what the rule used to be . . . seriously though, why should you expect guys doing HS to be better than the guys doing NBA or NCAA -- if you watch the tube, you learn that the announcer is supposed to criticize the refs, and that all announcers know the rules better than all refs . . .
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Where I work (university) all our media guys know that I am an official and have had them on several occasions ask me about plays they saw. Actaully, last nite during our women's broadcast there was play that occured and they actually said "I don't know about that one, we will have to ask (insert my name) about that one!" Proabaly not professional to use my name, when the majority of the listeners didn't know me, but funny non the less.

BTW, it was a non 5 second closely guarded call.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 06:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Many years ago, when radio was in it's infancy, I worked at a radio station in the Chicago suburbs. One of my jobs was doing play-by-play of HS, college and semi-pro sports. I worked with the guy who was the sports director at the station. I'm not claiming I was a rules guru back then, but at least I admitted it when I didn't understand a ruling (we had rule books with us, but you know how that goes).

Anyway, I was announcing a HS basketball game with this guy one night and he said that if a team was ahead by more than 20, they were not allowed to attempt to steal the ball from a dribbler.

I still get a chuckle out of that one.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
I guess I am the exception. My job, asides from being a full time law enforcment student is that of a radio broadcaster. I am also the Cable TV voice for games which I do not officiate in the area. No one puts 2 and 2 together because they never see my face. I Understand where you guys are coming from. To me it is extremly frusterating that some broadcasters don't have the common sense to pick up a rule book and learn the game I are trying to describe.

I pride myself to being one of the few announcers who can comment on the rules confidently.

TR
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Many years ago, when radio was in it's infancy
Wasn't Marconi in the late 19th century?
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 12:36am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Many years ago, when radio was in it's infancy
Wasn't Marconi in the late 19th century?
Yeah - that's when I started. I was broadcasting Dr. Naismith's teams.