View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

In Southern Illinois (go Salukis), several of our schools broadcast varsity HS games on local radio stations. On the occasions I get a chance to listen to these, I usually hear nothing but complaints about the officiating in general and questioning of almost every call or no call. In addition, the broadcasters seem to, like most fans, display an almost fathomless lack of knowledge of the rules. I heard one mention the closely guarded count should have stopped when the player crossed the 28’ mark. I also know of one station that gave the referee's name coaxing the audience to call him with their displeasure. I think that was settled out of court by the way...

I guess I'd like to know if any of you have noticed how totally negative this coverage has become. Or are there glaring exceptions of unbiased play-by-play out there?

We hear of refs in all sports encountering unsportsmanlike behavior from fans, parents and players. Is this a symptom or part of the problem? Is it getting worse? I like to think the exposure can only help promote the game but I'm not so sure anymore.

No one has to answer, I'm just venting...