The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Stupid Question

Playing NCAA rules.

10 Second count in back court. Player moves the ball up and is trapped in backcourt.

Calles Time Out.

After time out does player receive a new 10??

Rule 9-9 States:

A player and his team shall not be in CONTINUOS control of a ball that is in the back court for more than 10 CONSECUTIVE seconds.

Does this time out constitute a break in Continuous control??

Thanks
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Well, when the official hands the ball to the inbounder for the throw-in following the TO, do they have team control? Nope. Doesn't seem "continuous" to me

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

some folks think the count remains, perhaps in part because the NBA rule does continue the same back court count (which is only an 8 second count) following a TO.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

It is a rule I hate, but a rule nonetheless. I wish that the count would continue. You either get it up the court in 10 seconds, or it's a violation.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
It is a rule I hate, but a rule nonetheless. I wish that the count would continue. You either get it up the court in 10 seconds, or it's a violation.
Or you burn a timeout . . .

Think of it as a "get out of jail free" card - you only have a limited number.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Here's another sitch under the same heading:

(Men's) After a basket, team B is pressing. After about 8 seconds, A1 is trapped in the backcourt then calls timeout. Official grants timeout request.

Coach B points out that the shot clock shows 25 (yes, the shot clock started on time AND there was no lag time when granting the TO) and should be a violation.

What do you have and why?

Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pizanno
Here's another sitch under the same heading:

(Men's) After a basket, team B is pressing. After about 8 seconds, A1 is trapped in the backcourt then calls timeout. Official grants timeout request.

Coach B points out that the shot clock shows 25 (yes, the shot clock started on time AND there was no lag time when granting the TO) and should be a violation.

What do you have and why?

I tell the coach to sit down because this is a women's game.

In men's though, we have A's ball for a throw-in. Rule 2 A.R. 25 startes that "2-10 does not provide for the correction of an error made in the referee's counting of seconds." While the A.R. considers a fast count, it works the same for slow - the official's count is considered official, not the clock . There is an NF Casebook play on this - I'll try to post it when I get back tonight.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

That's why the NBA uses the shot clock for the basckcourt call. NCAA ought to.
I think I would be counting but I would know what is on the shot clock anyway it hits 10, doesnt matter where my arm is at...What's the offensive coach going to yell I did not see your arm move back and forth 10 times, even though the scoreboard shows my team cant handle the press, we should not be penalized for it.... I think officials look stupid when the information is right in front of us but because our manual count is somehow better than the clock it goes away under the rules. I would bet most NCAA officials use the shot clock a lot more than any would care to admit.

I had a game where there was 55 seconds on the clock partner was trail, Ball came across at 43 seconds and coach was livid. Could we fix it nope! My partner had only got to nine and at half he could not figure outwhy coach was so upset. Partner had no clue what the time was..and his count was way slow.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Here's the answer I was looking for..

...with 25 showing on the shot clock, only "9.something" seconds have elapsed...(idea being that the clock starts at 35.0)

I pulled that explaination out of my butt in a game, and it was an explaination the irate coach actually accepted and could not contest.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Here's the answer I was looking for..

Quote:
...with 25 showing on the shot clock, only "9.something" seconds have elapsed...(idea being that the clock starts at 35.0)

I pulled that explaination out of my butt in a game, and it was an explaination the irate coach actually accepted and could not contest.
That really depends upon the type of shot clock you use. If it switches from 35 to 34 immediately when the switch is pushed, then you are correct (it shows 25 at 25.9; and 0 at 0.9). Most shot clocks that I have seen, however, have a delay so that 34 shows at 34.0, and 25 would be 25.0.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
[
I tell the coach to sit down because this is a women's game.

[/B]
Sat afternoon 1/1/18. (NC2A women)
Rochester Community College (MN)I was working a womens game and had the coach give me an earfull and ask me why in the hell I did not know the rule book and give the other team a 10 second backcourt count. I told him to either sit down or go back to coaching his own high school team because the latter was the only way he would get a ten second count. Looked at me quizzically and sat down. After the game I explained to him (w/ rule book in hand)that there was no 10 sec. back court count in NC2A women. I have never seen a coach look so sheepish in my life. This is a college coach not knowing the rules mind you. Too bad not all coaches are as rules savvy as hawks...
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

You could also refer the coach to the shot clock operator to ask why they took their finger off the button so soon...
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

That really depends upon the type of shot clock you use. If it switches from 35 to 34 immediately when the switch is pushed, then you are correct (it shows 25 at 25.9; and 0 at 0.9). Most shot clocks that I have seen, however, have a delay so that 34 shows at 34.0, and 25 would be 25.0.
Interesting. I never thought about this.
Clearly it does matter. When the clock shows 25, has a full ten seconds elapsed? If the change from 35 to 34 is instantaneous, then the 34 stays up for one entire second, we now have a number showing for each elapsed second. Count them down. 34=1, 33=2, 32=3, 31=4, 30=5, 29=6, 28=7, 27=8, 26=9, 25=10. This means you need to wait until the clock shows 24, before a team has used a full ten seconds in the backcourt.
Nice point Mark.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

I'd be shocked if you ever see a shot clock that goes instantaneously to 34. Why? Becauuse if it does, then it goes to zero a full second (OK, more precisely .99 seconds) before the buzzer sounds, which would lead to chaos.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
That was my thought, too, hawkk; but you said it better than I woulda I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya!