The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Just started officiating again after 21 years. It has been like starting all over. The rules have changed some but a lot was just lost due to time. So far I've done 17 MS games, some of which felt good after and others I couldn't wait to get out of the gym. The senior officials I've called with tell me I'm doing good and that all is needed is more experience. At this point I'm satisfied with where I'm at for a newbie.

My question to the seasoned citizens is: what makes a "good" official? Both of our kids play basketball at a small "B" school in north La. and when I'm not calling we try to see all of their games. We see officials from two different associations on a regular basis and it's easy to see which refs are the most proficient; but, what (in a list form) makes the best official? Is it the one who calls everything that happens in a game, or the one that tends to let em play, or...?
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I don't think what they call seperates the best officials its the official who makes everyone in the gym know that this official knows what they are doing and have control of the game.When the top officials make calls even though people may disagree they think well he or she sure knew what they saw.I have watched top officials let them play or call it tight depending on the teams and the level of play and it work great either way.The great ones just adjust to the situation.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
A GOOD official should Spend some To time to study yourself.
understand yourself, you will understand the others and their reactions.Respect the others and you will be respected (too)...THIS is my model..
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously reading through many of these posts wil give you an idea of what other officials think is a good referee. Here are of a few things I believe (in no particular order):

1. Calling what is appropriate for each level. For example, on Thursday, I did a MS game and on Saturday a Women's College game. You can not call it the same way.

2. Using proper mechanics. Being in the right place will mean you will get the call right more often than not. Using proper signals shows professionalism.

3. Hustle, not matter what level.

4. Game management, very important especially at higher levels. These are people skills, dealing with coaches, players and your fellow officials.

5. Knwowing the rules so that you will apply them correctly.

6. Presence.

7. Appearance: conditionning, clothes, posture etc...

8. Wanting to be a good official! Working hard at improving: clinics, camps, studying the craft.

Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
Understand the reasons
Respect the people
Solve the conflicts..
THINK ABOUT THAT!

[Edited by ROMANO on Jan 20th, 2003 at 01:07 AM]
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Jay R,
You are my new hero! Can I use that and call it my own? I am starting a program at the area high schools next season for officiating and that might be my first lesson. Congrats. I couldn't have said it any better myself. By the way, does anyone out there teach a class on officiating in High Schools? If so, I would be interested in your experiences.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 03:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up I have to echo......

what BigJoe said. This is actually a great list. I think these things are right on. To me you cannot be a good official without these things you listed. But I would like to add one more to your list. I think you have to have good people skills or skills to deal with people on differnet levels. We are also judged by how we deal with fellow officials and coaches. If we cannot deal with those individuals in a professional way, you might never get the chance to prove the other things. I do not want to over-emphasize this point, but you do have to get on the court before you can officiate to being with, if you get my drift.

Basically Jay R, this is a great list.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Even more...

Being a good citizen and being held in high regard in your community. (no DUI's/criminal offenses, and such) Temperate, humorous, able to laugh at yourself. Humble, confident, great powers of concentration.
Remembering that the game and its participants are the most important thing during that 32 minutes(or whatever minutes apply). JMHO
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Even more...

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Being a good citizen and being held in high regard in your community. (no DUI's/criminal offenses, and such) Temperate, humorous, able to laugh at yourself. Humble, confident, great powers of concentration.
Remembering that the game and its participants are the most important thing during that 32 minutes(or whatever minutes apply). JMHO
Interesting observation OatmealQueen.

Last year, I was assigned to work a JV game with an official who has worked Varsity level games all the way through Sectional level (level just before State tournament.) Sadly, I had read in the local paper (the night before our "partnered" game) that he had been CONVICTED of his third offense for DUI.

Unfortunately, this individual had let alcohol become the primary influence in his life. During the game, there were several situations which involved "questionable" judgement, such as being very terse with players and coaches, calls way out of his primary, etc.... It did not appear that he was under the influence at the game, but it was an uncomfortable situation.

After the game, I requested that I not be assigned with that individual again. When the assignor asked, "I told him about the issues that concerned me."

This year, that official is "injured" and not working games. I sincerely hope that "injury" is receiving appropriate treatment and he is on a healthy recovery.

Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Held to a higher standard..

I have realized that once we put on the uniform, we are now held to a higher standard, not only on the field of play, but away from it as well.
Nobody is perfect, but we must try to never give an impression of very poor judgement.
We encounter enough problems on the court (or field) without people questioning other aspects of our life as well. JMHO
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Excellent

Very good Jay R and Oats.

I would extend Jay R's "calling what is appropriate for each level" to "calling what NEEDS to be called and doing so appropriately for player level."

Not every travel needs to be called. Not every foul. But they cannot, as a whole be overlooked either. If I don't make this particular call, how does it influence the game?

Violations that create an advantage or that are caused due to GOOD defense, need to be called. Fouls that create a disadvantage or that are due to POOR defense, need to be called.

I'm starting to ramble....
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Great job J.R. I would like to add one thing.
Great officials show they want to be there have a passion and enjoy what they are doing not matter what level.

Example

I love to do A.A.U. I love the kids and just being out there with them. I also joke with the parents, players and coaches.(it has to be hard on them traveling all the time). I finished a game and was time for a break. Before the next game both coaches who were getting ready to play came up to me a complimented me. I told them that if they liked what I did they would love the next two officials (D1's). After they game they both came up to me and said "We rather have you." I asked them why and what they said stuck with me. They replied "These guys could care less they were just out here for the money." People are watching, and they can tell if you act like you don't want to be there. Believe me it will show and when it does they will be all over you.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by baldy1
Great job J.R. I would like to add one thing.
Great officials show they want to be there have a passion

Example

they both came up to me and said "We rather have you." I asked them why and what they said stuck with me. They replied "These guys could care less they were just out here for the money."
Just my two cents, but I would bet the rest of my game checks for the season (totalling about $50 ) that those D1 officials were not there for the $20/game. It may be true that they felt the games were below them (I know officials like that). It may be true that they felt they didn't need to put out a real effort b/c the level of play was so "low", by their standards. They may even have looked (or even been) bored.

All these things reflect baldy's comment about passion. But they have nothing to do with the coaches' ignorant comment about doing it for the money. Nobody who works D1 (at least $400/game) does sub-college games "for the money".

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

All these things reflect baldy's comment about passion. But they have nothing to do with the coaches' ignorant comment about doing it for the money. Nobody who works D1 (at least $400/game) does sub-college games "for the money".

Chuck
I was not blasting D1 officials both of these happen to be good friends of mine and I have the utmost repsect for both of them. What I was applying is this perception is 99.9% of the law. I was using it an example for good officals nothing more nothing less
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Sorry if I was unclear baldy. I was completely agreeing with your comment about having passion, but disagreeing only with the coaches' stupid comment about doing it "for the money".

I think that you are exactly right about being into the game that we're working, no matter the level. In fact, at camp this summer, they were describing a good official. What do you need? "Passion" was #1 on the list. "Court awareness" was #2.

Maybe Dan remembers the last one. . .

Chuck