The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

The other night I was doing Boys Var. and calling what seemed to be decent fouls both ways.As I come down by coach "A" he says you got to call it at both ends Ref.So I said ok I hear you coach.I leave his end run to the other end and coach "B" says you guessed it call it at both ends ref.So all I can figure is I must be doing the impossible favoring both teams!
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

You know you've arrived when you have both coaches pissed at you!

Seriously, though...the "call it at both ends" type comments are my pet peeve. To me the implication is that I am favoring one team over another and attacking my integrity. My response to this comment is that I do not want to hear it again. If I hear it again..."T" time.

How does everyone else feel about this?

Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 06:28pm
In Memoriam

I'm with you,Andy.I've T'd coaches at the high school level before without a warning when they laid that crap on me.I don't mind if they question my officiating ability or judgement.That don't bother me at all(as long as I don't get Instant Replay on the remark,and they're not doing it all the time).When they question my integrity,or get into anything that I consider "personal"-well,then they're taking their chances.I usually tell the coach that if he thinks I'm missing something,let me know specifically what it is and I'll keep an eye out for it,but never,ever tell me that I'm favoring somebody.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

True Andy I agree the thing was both of these coaches got warnings and didn't say anything else.At the time though inside I was laughing to hard to get to upset.That is a good warning to newer officials not to ever laugh when a coach or fans or players are visibly upset.We have every right to do what is necessary to keep control of the game but to smile or laugh at people who are working hard all week at something is wrong.Does everyone agree?
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't take it that personal

I don't think they are accusing you of favoritism, just inconsistency that they think is favoring the other team. I can't tell you how many coaches I have talked to outside the heat of the game that feel that bad officiating hosed them. The other team got all of the calls. And even a week later, they sincerely believe it, but they do not believe the officiating team was biased against them. But those officials missed them only one direction, particularly at crucial times.

I can say that I used to think we got hosed a lot, now I see the game a lot better and recognize the reasons we lose (or win) - and they are all about us. But having been there before, I can assure you that I never thought it was an integrity issue, but I always thought that referee incompetence was costing us some games.

It doesn't have to be logical - that's just the way it is when you are competing. You don't want to admit weakness on your own part might lead to failure. When you take another step you realize that failure to examine your own issues will lead to consistently bad results, because you can't fix the externals, only the internals.

Unfortunately, many coaches do not take that extra step, to all participant's detriment.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 07:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I don't think they are accusing you of favoritism, just inconsistency that they think is favoring the other team.
"I'm not accusing you of favoritism,JR,but your inconsistency is favoring the other team"!

Coach,if you laid that one on me during a game,I think that I'd still T you up for trying to blow smoke up my a$$. As,soon as I hear "favoring the other team",...
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As I come down by coach "A" he says you got to call it at both ends Ref.So I said ok I hear you coach.I leave his end run to the other end and coach "B" says you guessed it call it at both ends ref.So all I can figure is I must be doing the impossible favoring both teams!
The last time a coach told me to call it both ways I replied, "but coach, I really want them to win!" I'm glad he understood that I was kidding.

Z
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 05:12am
Official Forum Member

The "call it at both ends" comment is a reference to one team getting called for a foul that (they believe) the other team got away with. No more, no less.

A lot of the time, the coaches are full of crap when they drop this line on us. But sometimes, they are right. Not about the idea that we're favoring one team, just that they didn't get a call that the other team did get. It happens.

I agree with Hawks coach on this one. Not sure I'd whack a coach for this comment, unless he was totally losing it, or if he's been yapping too much, has been warned, and just won't let up.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

"Call it both ways" means only one thing...
"Call it MY way"
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Oatmealqueen is right on this one! I would be laughing if both coaches told me to call it both ways. What the he77 do they think we are doing? I tell people in the stands when I am watching a game and they comment on a ref favoring one team or the other, there is no way an official that is halfway decent can favor one team or the other. He is too busy watching arms, bodies, and the ball. They don't believe me when I tell them that you don't really even see the color of the jersey when you are into the game. The only difference is that you know that they are opponants. You pick up the color after you call the foul. After a game, I can't tell you how many fouls or points one player had. I may be able to tell you about one certain play. Does anyone else feel this way? I feel that if you are really focused on the game, you don't really discern between the teams. Only the plays as they happen.

On an aside, I would like to thank Hawks Coach and A Pennsylvania Coach for their input on the board. Having never been a coach I enjoy their input from a coaches perspective. I wish the coaches in our area would take the time to study the rules. Some of them don't have a clue.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
"Call it both ways" means only one thing...
"Call it MY way"
A VERY, VERY, valid point...that's what I meant when I said coaches are quite often full of it in these situations!
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Colorful partner

I work every once in a while with a very colorful, laid back, pretty well known local guy.
Some of his comments to the coaches make me chuckle inside.
For instance: Coach to partner.. "travel, 3 seconds, c'mon".
Partner to coach.. "I expect you to help me with those same calls on the other end of the floor when you are on offense"
Dumbstruck coach .. "duh".
Never a dull moment.