The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 01, 2000, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

team 1 inbounding under team 2's basket following an out of bounds call. team 1 throws the ball all the way into the backcourt without any touch where it is retrieved by team 1. Is this a violation?
(i'm a new ref and had this last night)
Old Thu Jun 01, 2000, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

No, this is not a violation. In order to have a backcourt violation you must first have team control. Since there is no team control during a throw-in, and team control can only be established by a player gaining control of the ball, there is no violation. Any player can retreive the ball.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2000, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

PW -

Todd is one of the very best on this forum with details and knowledge of the game. As a new ref I would urge you to listen when Todd speaks. Also, no 3 second violation on throw-in under your own basket for the same reason -- no team control. You don't know how many fans scream for 3 seconds!

Jack
Old Fri Jun 02, 2000, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Not to mention that, if Team 1 is inbounding the ball from under their opponent's basket, they must be throwing it toward their OWN basket, which is NOT the backcourt for them--it is in their frontcourt. Either way, MJ is right: no violation.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2000, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

I gotta agree with ya JACK. TODD sure knows his stuff.

[This message has been edited by Schmidt MJ (edited June 02, 2000).]
Old Fri Jun 02, 2000, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Let's not blow up Todd's head too much. The site is not that large.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2000, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Oooh, my head, my head--expanding to rapidly! Seriously guys, my face is getting too red from blushing. I appreciate your kind words, and it's always gratifying to be perceived as knowing something about the game and having something to offer. Of course, there are a number of guys who contribute regularly to this site who frequently have excellent comments and insights (Mark P. certainly high among them), so I'm pleased to be in such good company. Looking forward to continuing with this site, though might be less frequent during the summer months (I work for a school system and am "off" after this week). Let the games continue!!
Old Tue Jun 06, 2000, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

For information sake - this does not hold true in FIBA rules ie. a team inbounding in their front court cannot receive the ball in the backcourt. A noticeable difference from Federation/NCAA rules.

When I refereed FIBA, I found it strange that an over-and-back called at the halfcourt line would lead to a situation where the receiving team could more easily be pressed since the half court line is effectively a boundary during the inbound. Always thought that this was an advantage for the team that just screwed up.

Cheers,
David
Old Tue Jun 06, 2000, 01:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

quote:
Originally posted by David Clausi:
For information sake - this does not hold true in FIBA rules ie. a team inbounding in their front court cannot receive the ball in the backcourtDavid

This is also true for NBA. In fact, in the NBA, if you have the ball in your backcourt, and call a timeout, when you inbound you do not get a new 10 seconds, but only the time remaining before the timeout. Also - I think the same is true if the defense knocks the ball OOB in the backcourt.