The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 22, 2000, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Public -

I'm assuming you can't stand Sprewell because of the PJ Carlessimo incident. I also wondered about the Knicks taking a chance on a player who attacked his coach. But he has been nothing short of a model player since he joined the Knicks. What is it about him you dislike?????? I don't see him complaining after every call and making those moronic looks that Marley was...Sprewell instead does his talking with the basketball...How about the comment by Van Gundy that Sprew was one of the most coachable players he has known...kinda makes you wonder about PJ Carlessimo and the possibility that he was a real jerk of a coach. There are 2 sides to a story and I'm afraid we only heard the coach's side.
Old Mon May 22, 2000, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

I didn't get to see the game, but I heard every one of the Heat players railing on the refs. Who watched the game? To hear them it sounds like the game was thrown. This is the NBA, was it really as bad as they made it out to be, or should we take up a collection and send them some cheese?
Old Mon May 22, 2000, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send the cheese.

Sprewell (while I can't stand the guy), was well inbounds when SOMEBODY probably called timeout, and was probably even being pushed out of bounds for the foul.

Miami shouldn't be complaining, they should go to free throw practice...

------------------
Brian Johnson
Old Mon May 22, 2000, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Send the cheese

Miami only have themselves to blame. They were lucky to win the game with the shot Carter threw over the backboard (how can the heat can complain after that NO CALL?). Then they were up by 18 in game 6, only to lose. Then on the play with Sprewell (BTW, since coming to the Knicks has been a model citizen, except for the hairdo!!), Marley grabed Sprewell Shorts and yanked him OOB.
The only did the ref did wrong was not to call the holding foul. Sprewell said he did not call TO, but anybody can and I'm sure someone did. If the ref had called Sprewell OOB, then the game would have been fixed (for Miami). For Mashburn to complain, he should look at the game films. He played scared the last 2 minutes. P.J. Brown cried too. He's lucky he plays as long as he does with the dumb off the ball fouls he creates. I feel bad for Zo because he played hard and will beat himself up for the missed free throws.
Old Mon May 22, 2000, 11:14am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Earth to Miami - as the Fabulous Sports Babe would say - "score more points."
Old Mon May 22, 2000, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I should have watched sportscenter this morning. The paper said clarence "I never met any food I didn't like" weatherspoon took the last shot. If that is true, they should be giving riles grief. Number 1 how does that chump get the last shot with the season on the line, and number 2, what is his plump rump doing on the court for the last shot anyhow?

Someone here at work also said 'Zo lost his jock to Patty Cake - Patty Cake Patrick Ewing to put the knicks back on top with a minute to go. That will have to hurt 'Zo until next year. PEwing can't walk from the bench to the table without limping.
Old Mon May 22, 2000, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jackgil:
Public -

I'm assuming you can't stand Sprewell because of the PJ Carlessimo incident.

Actually, most of the NBA's star player's attitudes make me sick, which is why I usually don't watch. I just happened to catch the end of this game. Sprewell's choking of PJ just takes the cake (even though PJ is probably a jerk, too). As far as I was concerned, his basketball career should have been over.

I thought that Golden State did a class-act in terminating his contract. A rarity when it comes to professional sports. Too bad it all got overturned.

------------------
Brian Johnson
Old Mon May 22, 2000, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, I really like the Knicks and Miami is over-rated. I live over in Warrior country and although I don't like that choking incident at all, Spree is one of my favorite players to watch. Spree fits in with the Knicks because he gets a lot of 1 on 1's with the ball, but he's a better player when he gets others in the game. Warriors lost Spree when they lost Webber.

PJ was a joke and I only wonder why Golden State kept him so long.
Old Tue May 23, 2000, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Public -

Well, I'm sure I won't be able to sway your opinion on NBA players. But remember there are class people like John Stockton in the NBA. I'm sure he's not the only one.

We all make mistakes in life. I'm sure I've made a few and I'm sure you have. It is what you do with your life after you have made those mistakes. I agree 100% with what GS did to Spree and I think it helped change him around. But you also have to give him some credit for turning his life around. I think it toook a lot of character and maturity. Give the guy some credit.

Bean, I grew up with the Knicks from the 69 championship to today's team. Been a NYer most of my life. I would LOVE a Knicks-Lakers final. I don't know if you remember Willis Reed, but wouldn't it be something if something like that happened again in NBA final. Ewing hurting himself in game 6 and hobbling out to start game 7 with the Garden going nuts. Inspiring his team to play the best game of their life. Ewing finally getting the ring he's pined for all these years. That Willis Reed incident was one of the greatest moments in NBA history.

Jack
Old Fri May 26, 2000, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

I like Sprewell's game and court demeanor. And at 48, I only wish I had "enough" hair to do something wild with it! I think that attacking a coach is obviously a very serious event. However, I've seen situations where coaches are so verbally abusive and insulting that it amazes that more players don't lose control. I only wish that my Celtics had taken a chance on Spree.
Old Fri May 26, 2000, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

John -

We're about the same age. I graduated from Providence College and used to go see the Celtics all the time. My roommate was Jimmy Walker who played NBA ball. He was good friends with Sam Jones and Bill Russell. Those were great days.

Jack
Old Fri May 26, 2000, 05:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Ya' know, now that we're talking about Sprewell and P.J. - I wonder what would happen if one of Bobby Knight's players would ever choke him?

Do you think the player would be kicked out of school or that the school would just rule that "turnabout is fair play?"

Hey - maybe after Bobby loses his job at IU (inevitable), he can coach the Knicks and Spree! I'd pay to see their practices.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2000, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Mark -

PLEASE!! Don't say things like that!! Maybe the Pacers will hire Knight--- keep him in Indiana. Big difference between Knight and Spree is that Spree was sorry for his actions and repented. Knight is not sorry for his actions. He's gonna end up like a former Ohio State football coach did.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2000, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Before I read these posts I had a real dislike for Spreewell. I thought Spreewell should have been banned from the game for life. I had a couple of reasons for my opinion.

1. A coach no matter how much of a jerk or how disliked he is deserves some respect (just as game officials do). Just as a national leader does. Choking a superior is a serious offense in my book. What if it had been a game official?

2. In baseball, an all-time great named Pete Rose was banned from the game because of gambling. I think physical violence is much different than gambling.

3. The example it sets for kids playing the game. It says "it can get away with alot if you play pro ball."

But after reading your posts about Spreewell, I think I am modifying my opinion.
I am glad to know Spreewell is now a model citizen and am curious how he displays his good citizenship. I also believe in giving people second chances and I guess Spreewell has been pretty quiet to the game officials during the playoffs.

But I do believe our actions should have consequences. I would have liked him banned from the league for a year or two to make a point. I was calling for his head and it seems like he got a small slap on the wrist when something more middle of the road was called for.

Anyway this is my humble opinion on that matter.