The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   inbounds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/702-inbounds.html)

pwarburt Thu Jun 01, 2000 06:28pm

team 1 inbounding under team 2's basket following an out of bounds call. team 1 throws the ball all the way into the backcourt without any touch where it is retrieved by team 1. Is this a violation?
(i'm a new ref and had this last night)

Schmidt MJ Thu Jun 01, 2000 07:03pm

No, this is not a violation. In order to have a backcourt violation you must first have team control. Since there is no team control during a throw-in, and team control can only be established by a player gaining control of the ball, there is no violation. Any player can retreive the ball.

jackgil Fri Jun 02, 2000 12:12am

PW -

Todd is one of the very best on this forum with details and knowledge of the game. As a new ref I would urge you to listen when Todd speaks. Also, no 3 second violation on throw-in under your own basket for the same reason -- no team control. You don't know how many fans scream for 3 seconds!

Jack

Todd VandenAkker Fri Jun 02, 2000 09:04am

Not to mention that, if Team 1 is inbounding the ball from under their opponent's basket, they must be throwing it toward their OWN basket, which is NOT the backcourt for them--it is in their frontcourt. Either way, MJ is right: no violation.

Schmidt MJ Fri Jun 02, 2000 06:50pm

I gotta agree with ya JACK. TODD sure knows his stuff.

[This message has been edited by Schmidt MJ (edited June 02, 2000).]

bsilliman Fri Jun 02, 2000 07:19pm

Let's not blow up Todd's head too much. The site is not that large.

Todd VandenAkker Mon Jun 05, 2000 09:06pm

Oooh, my head, my head--expanding to rapidly! Seriously guys, my face is getting too red from blushing. I appreciate your kind words, and it's always gratifying to be perceived as knowing something about the game and having something to offer. Of course, there are a number of guys who contribute regularly to this site who frequently have excellent comments and insights (Mark P. certainly high among them), so I'm pleased to be in such good company. Looking forward to continuing with this site, though might be less frequent during the summer months (I work for a school system and am "off" after this week). Let the games continue!!

David Clausi Tue Jun 06, 2000 12:21am

For information sake - this does not hold true in FIBA rules ie. a team inbounding in their front court cannot receive the ball in the backcourt. A noticeable difference from Federation/NCAA rules.

When I refereed FIBA, I found it strange that an over-and-back called at the halfcourt line would lead to a situation where the receiving team could more easily be pressed since the half court line is effectively a boundary during the inbound. Always thought that this was an advantage for the team that just screwed up.

Cheers,
David

Mark Padgett Tue Jun 06, 2000 01:37pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Geneva">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Clausi:
For information sake - this does not hold true in FIBA rules ie. a team inbounding in their front court cannot receive the ball in the backcourtDavid<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is also true for NBA. In fact, in the NBA, if you have the ball in your backcourt, and call a timeout, when you inbound you do not get a new 10 seconds, but only the time remaining before the timeout. Also - I think the same is true if the defense knocks the ball OOB in the backcourt.