The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
South Bay,the only one who knows exactly why he called the T is the ref who did call it.The only way that you are gonna find out for sure why he called it is if you see him somewhere and ask him about it.Everything else is just speculation on all of our parts.It doesn't sound like a "good" T,but he might know something that we don't.

Shouldnt we be suggesting that someone needs to puke on that Ref's shoes!?!
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Re: ..

Quote:
Originally posted by South Bay HHVBC
A friends just brought this to my attention that I did not think of which might have been why the ref called a T. Is it possible that the ref felt that the player with the ball who threw it created an unsafe situation regardless of his intent? Does a technical result in this? Just a thought
South, how was the rest of the game. This could have been two players that were going back and forth each game and the player saw this his opportunity to get one cheap one in by "legal" means. As stated before we are all speculating...

My two sense!
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC

Yeah, thats just the thing. There was absolutely nothing going on between the two teams to indicate to anyone, even the ref in my opinion, that there was any animosity towards one another. It was a clean game.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Canuckrefguy,

Thanks for making me laugh today! In your understated way I got quite a chuckle out of your post. I guess an image popped in my mind of a ref holding the ball watching a guy on the floor writhing in pain!
Thanks again.
My 2 pennies worth this was a poor call based on the facts provided. These plays happen all of the time and the player has to throw the ball hard to ensure they bounce off of the opponant and go out of bounds.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC

I was able to speak to the ref last night. He told me that this particular situation was discussed between him and his partner. He told me that he saw that the player with the ball threw it excessively hard to another player with the purpose of hitting him. He said it was a question of sportsmanship that he had because of the throw, therefore he called the T.

I personally still dont agree with that, but those were his reasons.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

If the player was obviously attempting to retain possesion of the ball for his team not show up, embarass, or injure the other player than in my opinion one can never call this a T. It is a very skilled play by the offensive player. This ref needs to review his thinking about the intent of a technical IMO.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

I think we all need to remember that we haven't seen the situation so I think it is not our place to say whether this was a bad call or not. Instead we should be looking at what might indicate whether this would be a foul or not.

Maybe the ref saw this kid really wind up for the throw before the cut it loose, maybe he'd seen some friction between the kids before this. There could have been several reasons that the official felt justified in whacking the kid.