The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Last night, big rivalry game at their gym. Close game throughout. We are running our 1-3-1 halfcourt trap, looking for traps near midcourt. Early in fourth, we get trap in front of their bench. Player loses ball, we pick it up, whistle blows. Timeout being awarded to opposing coach. I assumed he recognized the request while the player still had the ball, and that the whistle was just a little late. But just after he reported the timeout to the table, I told him that the player had already lost the ball by the time the coach requested timeout. If he said what I assumed above, I'd have to accept that. But he told me "team control, coach, they still had team control so they can get that timeout". I told him that they also had to have "PLAYER control" to get a timeout and as I said that phrase, his face told me he knew I was right, but what could he do at that point.

After the TO as he came to administer the throw-in, I said if we lose the ball into the backcourt, I'd be requesting timeout before the ball went out of bounds and before anyone picks it up. He gave me an "okay you got me coach" look and went on with the game.

Resolution for next year: learn the citations so I can give those as part of my arguments!
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

We hate it when you coaches do that!!!!

Hopefully a learning experience for the official and a big thumbs up to you for not going balistic and questioning and getting your vindication in a civilized manner. Like I have said before I will work for you and Hawks any day!!!!
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Knowledgeable Coaches (Yes, there are a few out there)

Hear, hear! I, too, enjoy working a game with knowledgeable, civil coaches....

Then again, unknowledgeable, uncivil coaches are a delight in a demented way (Devilish) "hee hee heeeeee"
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks coach! Nice to know there are some civil ones out there

We are all human and all make mistakes.......do your best for the kids
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

I had a coach catch me last night

Since I'm in my first year there are hundreds of things I do wrong. Last night with a throw in near the A bench player A1 (front court OOB) passed to A2 standing just inside the front court. The pass goes pretty much through A2's hands and straight into the back court. As soon as A2 touches it I call backcourt (thinking, "Man I'm glad I got that one right").

The coach says to me "But he never had control in the front court". Yes, that look that says "well, you've got a really, really good point there" comes across my face.

Oh well, he kept quiet about the other 143 things I did wrong.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I had a coach catch me last night

Quote:
Originally posted by LepTalBldgs
The coach says to me "But he never had control in the front court". Yes, that look that says "well, you've got a really, really good point there" comes across my face.
There's nothing wrong with changing that call, LTB.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith