View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC
Ill try my best to describe what happened.

It was very similar to a play where one member from each team is falling out of bounds with one of the players having the ball. The player with the ball throws the ball off the defender so he can maintain possession.

This is what happened. A player ran after a lose ball and regained posession of it inbounds. His momentum was going to take him out of bounds. Before he went out of bounds, he jumped, turned, and threw the ball at a player on the opposite team who was about 8-10 feet away who was still on the court. The ball bounced off that opposing player and then went out of bounds.

I assumed (because i seen this many times before in high school games) that the possession would go to the team who did not touch the ball last before it went out. Instead, the ref called a Technical Foul on the player who threw the ball at the other player on the opposite team.

I somewhat know high school rules but by far i do not know all of em. This ruling confuses me. Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks