The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Had one last year....varsity girls....V1 on breakaway, goes up for uncontested layup....H2 gives her a two-hand shove from behind....V1 goes flying about ten feet onto the floor(fortunately not injured). Just thankful there was plenty of room behind the baseline. Had we been in V's gym, H2 would have gone flying into a brick wall.

As the other folks have said, rarely is a flagarant foul not an easy one to recognize.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

whoops....I meant to say that if we'd have been in V's gym, V1 would have gone flying into a brick wall, not H2 (but you probably figured that out already)
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Had one last year....varsity girls....V1 on breakaway, goes up for uncontested layup....H2 gives her a two-hand shove from behind....V1 goes flying about ten feet onto the floor(fortunately not injured). Just thankful there was plenty of room behind the baseline. Had we been in V's gym, H2 would have gone flying into a brick wall.

As the other folks have said, rarely is a flagarant foul not an easy one to recognize.
I might have an Intentional Foul here. (Must be hard for me to recognize flagrant fouls, other than fighting.)
Blast the whistle...come up with the arms crossed!
Clear the lanes, two shots, and take the ball out on V1's endline.
(Someone's also going to get a talkin' to...call it game management)

Dude
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy

I might have an Intentional Foul here. (Must be hard for me to recognize flagrant fouls, other than fighting.)
Blast the whistle...come up with the arms crossed!
Clear the lanes, two shots, and take the ball out on V1's endline.
(Someone's also going to get a talkin' to...call it game management)

Dude
THere is no doubt in my mind that she did this intentionally, just as in the sitch I posted earlier. However, I would have tossed her from the game here also. By his description and the observation in my earlier sitch, she's gotta go!
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

We had a player that got hit in the head with forearms as a foul to stop the clock. She could not finish the game and was taken to the doctor the next day for the resultant concussion. It was called intentional, but the severity and clear excess force was such that I felt it clearly merited the flagrant.

It seems refs tend to only want to use the flagrant for fighting, but I think it needs to be used more broadly. There is a reason the foul exists, and it needs to be called when warranted. The player who is flagrantly fouled deserves that protection at a minimum, as do any other players who may have to deal with the offender in a future game.