The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Yeterday in a middle school game I was the scorekeeper in, we had two refs who were calling there first or second game ever. I could go on and on about how many bad calls they did, but one stood out. A1 goes up for a layup and makes it. As A1 was going up, B1 went for the rebound. When B1 came down, he pushed off on A1. The referee gave team A the basket and the ball. I was wondering if there is anything about this in the rulebook.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

futureboy,

Prepare to be bombarded. I'll go first.

First, you tell us how bad the officials were. Then you ask us if a certain play is in the rule book. Have you ever seen a rule book, much less read one?

Second, to the play you asked about. If A, the shooter has returned to the floor and is then fouled by B, yes, you count the basket and give the ball back to A.

Sounds like a good call to me. Perhaps you should wait until you've read a rule book and worked a few games before you come to an officiating forum and criticize an official.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

good call, BktBallRef

they were lucky to get refs who made that call correctly in only their 1st of 2nd game ever reffed.

futurerefboy, from your title I guess you are a MS kid scoring the teams games? ask your school's coach or AD for a copy of a rule book--and read it!

Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Well, if you want to be a ref in the future, you should probably change the way you look at things - maybe explaining some of the calls and why you think they're "bad." When you're the scorekeeper - make sure you keep your mouth shut in regard to the game at hand.

That said, the ref might have been wrong in this particular case. Had A1 returned to the floor? If he had, then any contact would not be a foul unless it was flagrant or intentional. If A1 was still airborne, then this would have been a shooting foul - count the basket, one FT for A1.

However, considering this is a middle school play and the timing between hoop and contact was very small, a common foul (while not technically correct) might be the best call.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like maybe shooter had landed by the time defender crashed him. In that case, count the hoop and award possession back to shooting team (if no bonus). In other words, the official made the right call. I had a situation like that in my Varsity tourney game tonight...shooting team then quickly sank a 3...kind of a 5-point play!

NOW...futurerefboy, first or second game ever? I'll bet those two officials made some bad calls. So did I in my first game (makes me shiver, come to think of it)...so did most of the senior guys on this board, I imagine.

Just wait until your first game, maybe you can come back on this board and tell us all how perfect you were.

Keep your current attitude, and when/if you do pick up the whistle, you'll last about two games before you get your butt kicked.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

he actually blew his whistle once, and didn't know what to do. He just waited about fifteen seconds and then decided to call travel.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Futurerefboy, please review...
Quote:
Originally posted by futurerefboy
First Post....Yesterday in a middle school game I was the scorekeeper in, we had two refs who were calling there first or second game ever. I could go on and on about how many bad calls they did, but one stood out. A1 goes up for a layup and makes it. As A1 was going up, B1 went for the rebound. When B1 came down, he pushed off on A1. The referee gave team A the basket and the ball. I was wondering if there is anything about this in the rulebook.

Second Post...
he actually blew his whistle once, and didn't know what to do. He just waited about fifteen seconds and then decided to call travel.
It appears that you are not sure of what you saw. Please reserve your judgement and attempt to learn. I personally would NOT want you anywhere near the scorebook if you display any of this vindictive attitude during the game.

Sorry, but it appears the first "bad call" of this game was recruiting you as the scorekeeper.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 10:07pm
We don't rent pigs

Write this down and see if you appreciate it some day, futurerefboy. It takes more guts to make bad calls than it does to sit and complain about them.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
15 seconds? Yeah right. You just lost ALL credibility.

Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
futureboy, we have all been there and done that. I once blew my whistle and then talked to my partner before I made the call. Thank goodness it was in a rec game.

Hey future, pick up a whistle and come talk to us about how fun it is and be sure to ask us all sorts of questions about different situations that you see.

I was probably the hardest ones on refs when I was younger. I mocked them all the time and now I wouldn't give it up for the world!

My two sense!
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Incidental contact

To further elaborate on Mark's post, I believe what he is suggesting is that any contact after the shooter had returned to the floor on a made shot could be considered incidental. In general, such contact occurs frequently and does not prevent normal offensive and defensive movements.

HOWEVER, I disagree strongly with Mark's assumption that this is not a foul by rule. There are certainly rules that can support the idea of not calling a foul, but you have to see the contact to know whether or not it warrants a foul. Perhaps it actually could have resulted in an intentional or flagrant foul - futurerefboy said that B pushed A.

You have to see this push to decide call or no-call, and what type of foul. And yes, inexperienced refs will not have as good a background to make that decision. But the call is NOT WRONG by any rule in the book - it is just one that you must choose wisely when calling.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

One other consideration

When deciding call or no-call, you must also take into account how the overall game is going. Is it getting a little too chippy in there? If so, you might want to call a couple of fouls on this type of contact to make the game better. And if player B has been asking for a foul, that may factor in as well.

So we can't sit here with this little info and decide whether or not it is a foul, and what type of foul it is.

As for the travelling example, ease up guys. I think he used some poetic license on the time, and was citing another example. I agree that he is being hard on officials with little justification (he doesn't even know the rules himself), but try to be even handed.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Incidental contact

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
You have to see this push to decide call or no-call, and what type of foul. And yes, inexperienced refs will not have as good a background to make that decision. But the call is NOT WRONG by any rule in the book - it is just one that you must choose wisely when calling.
Well, he said that the basket was good. I'm assuming that this meant the foul happened after the ball went through the basket. If this was the case, then the foul would have to be a flagrant/intentional technical.

Perhaps if futurerefboy would like to clarify . . .
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Rule reference please

Mark
I wasn't thinking straight. If try is made and foul occurs before ball is in hands of B for inbounds, ball is dead - no foul unless intentional or flagrant. Most likely this occurred, so common foul is wrong call. Not sure that futurerefboy knows this rule though - how about frb? Where might we find this rule?
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

The original play stated, "As A1 was going up, B1 went for the rebound. When B1 came down, he pushed off on A1."

Remember that we're talking about middle school. I would imagine that most MS players would have returned to the floor and could have been fouled before the ball went through the basket.

I've got a foul.