The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 11, 2000, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Nick - it is not a good idea to discuss travelling with respect to 2 or 3 steps being taken. It is better to talk in terms of establishing a pivot foot.

Assume that the player gains control of the ball with one foot on the ground. That foot immediately becomes the pivot foot. The other foot can then come down without travelling. If the pivot foot is lifted, then travelling will occur if the player attempts to dribble or places the pivot foot back on the ground. The non-pivot foot can take as many "steps" as the player wants, as long as the pivot foot stays planted.

In the case of your example, you are right. The ball has to be released prior to the 3rd step being taken ie. after lifting up the pivot foot and prior to setting the pivot foot back down.

Cheers!
Old Tue Apr 11, 2000, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Just a clarification. Once player picks up the pivot foot, he only has two options, either pass or shoot. If a player has both feet planted and receives a pass, then pivots on one foot. Then picks up pivot foot and shoots before putting pivot foot down, then one could say he only gets one step. Some people refer this to one and a half steps. As David said, it not a question of number of steps.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2000, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I need to find out how many steps that there is until a person is classified as traveling. I think that it is 2 and someone that I know says that it is 3 which one is it cause I thought by the 3rd step the ball had to be released if that step was finished then traveling

------------------
Nick Paulson
Old Wed Apr 12, 2000, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rehuel
Exclamation

There are different way to land with the ball:
1-2 count: Landing with on foot first and the other follows. In this case the first foot to touch the floor is the pivot.
Both feet: In this case the first foot to be lifted is the non-pivot foot.
1-both feet: skipping with one foot and then landing on both feet. In this case there is no pivoting allowed.

In any case, lifting the pivot foot means u have to pass or shoot the ball before the pivot foot touches the floor again. Traveling is when the pivot foot is lifted and replaced, with the ball in possesion, or before a dribble!!
That's the whole travelling rule!
Old Fri Apr 28, 2000, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Wink

This is an interesting conversation. Want to try something fun?!? Think about these definitions of traveling, then watch the players' feet in an NBA game on TV. "Traveling, what's that?"
Old Fri Apr 28, 2000, 11:35am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by joepo10:
This is an interesting conversation. Want to try something fun?!? Think about these definitions of traveling, then watch the players' feet in an NBA game on TV. "Traveling, what's that?"

The rules governing traveling in the NBA are written differently and, obviously, more lenient. We shouldn't criticize the officials for calling the game according to the rules of their organization.

[QUOTE]Just a clarification. Once player picks up the pivot foot, he only has two options, either pass or shoot. [QUOTE]

Actually, he has a third option - request a timeout

Old Fri Apr 28, 2000, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

I think it is a bit unfair to apply the HS standard on travel to the NBA. Someone on another thread summed it up the best, we all know the rules in black and white, but we will interpret and apply those rules based on what the assignor or league wants to see.

If we have any NBA refs out there speak up, how are you "advised" on when to call a travel. I see plays that I would whistle travel on in the NBA every night, but maybe the NBA doesn't want that call.

Not that this is the right or wrong attitude, but, do you think david stern gives a care if kobe, iverson, or KG takes an extra step or two if their finish makes every highlight show for the day? I doubt it.
Old Mon May 22, 2000, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

I have never heard an announcer or ex-player that has actually read the Rulebook. I use to get a kick out of Tom Heinsohn. I live near Boston. On more than one occassion, he'd imply that McHale got away with a travel. I use to watch McHale on my VCR. His footwork in the pivot was like fine wine! He never travelled. He lifted his pivot and always shot (he never passed) before it hit, again. If you watch alot of Dr. J's re-runs - most times he did NOT travel. He gets a bum wrap. He'd catch the ball in the air just as his right foot landed, then he'd stride and jump off his left foot. It only looked like a travel 'cause he'd cover 30 feet.
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson:
I think it is a bit unfair to apply the HS standard on travel to the NBA. Someone on another thread summed it up the best, we all know the rules in black and white, but we will interpret and apply those rules based on what the assignor or league wants to see.

If we have any NBA refs out there speak up, how are you "advised" on when to call a travel. I see plays that I would whistle travel on in the NBA every night, but maybe the NBA doesn't want that call.

Not that this is the right or wrong attitude, but, do you think david stern gives a care if kobe, iverson, or KG takes an extra step or two if their finish makes every highlight show for the day? I doubt it.

Old Tue May 23, 2000, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

John -

I'm glad you used McHale as an example of post moves without travelling. He was THE MASTER!!! His "over the head move with the ball,while pivoting" fake has been copied by players for years. I loved watching him work. When I coached CYO, I had all my players using that move in the post. Worked everytime.

Jack
Old Wed May 24, 2000, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Interesting thought.... Several properly explained that once the pivot foot was lifted, the options were pass or shoot (or get a timeout). Someone even made the comment about the non-pivot foot taking as many steps as desired.

I don't have the rule book with me, but how does the rule address lifting the pivot foot, then hopping on the non-pivot foot? I'd call a travel, but I'm interested in what a strict interpretation of the rules would say. Technically the pivot foot was not replaced onto the floor, so no travel. Hmmmm.
Old Wed May 24, 2000, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg:
Interesting thought.... Several properly explained that once the pivot foot was lifted, the options were pass or shoot (or get a timeout). Someone even made the comment about the non-pivot foot taking as many steps as desired.

I don't have the rule book with me, but how does the rule address lifting the pivot foot, then hopping on the non-pivot foot? I'd call a travel, but I'm interested in what a strict interpretation of the rules would say. Technically the pivot foot was not replaced onto the floor, so no travel. Hmmmm.

Rich,

Once you start hopping on the non-pivot foot the first time you come back down to the floor and land on your non-pivot foot, it now becomes the pivot foot therefore you have changed pivot feet and it is now traveling.

Old Thu May 25, 2000, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

What about this situation?:?
A-1 goes for a shot. While in the air, B-1 block him WHILE the ball is still in A-1 hands. A-1 then goes to the ground with the ball still being in his hands. Travelling?
Old Thu May 25, 2000, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
quote:
Originally posted by ilya:
What about this situation?:?
A-1 goes for a shot. While in the air, B-1 block him WHILE the ball is still in A-1 hands. A-1 then goes to the ground with the ball still being in his hands. Travelling?

Ilya,

On the play you explained, that's a jump ball situation. Go to the possesion arrow.
Old Thu May 25, 2000, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

ok
thank you!