The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

There are clearly defined responsibilities for the referee and the umpire. Our league does not designate who is the referee and who is the umpire in advance. Do we decide roles in pre-game or is the person who tosses automatically the referee? Senior referee frequently ask me to toss,as a friendly gesture and it is good experience for me. But are they giving up ALL the referee responsibilities by letting me toss? If the roles were designated in advance by our assigner, yet the senior referee lets me toss am I the referee on record?

Last nights game my partner the trail called a foul on a drive down the lane and did not know if it the basket went in or not. I was the lead watching rebounding action and I did not know if the basket went in or not either. He went to the table to resolve this because it was his call. Should the official who made the call resolve this or should the referee make the final decision?

thanks again
GTW
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

In Federation mechanics, the referee always tosses the ball. If you decide upon a referee before the game, that person should lead your pre-game, too, and handle all of the duties specific to the R per the NFHS manual.

As to whether a shot went in or not, the officials should confer and, if one has definite knowledge, he should convey that to the calling official, who then can count or cancel the goal. It doesn't matter who is the referee. If none of the officials knows whether a shot went in, then consult the table officials.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, unless otherwise determined, you should decide in your pre-game who will be the referee. The referee tosses the ball to start the game. And in short, yes, the senior guys are giving you all that responsibility. Take it. They will help you determine the correct call should the need arise. Remember this when you get to be the cagey old vet breaking in a new guy.

If there is a question on whether a basket counts or not, the referee had the final say.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 11:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just a figure head.

I know this will piss off most officials here that are on their knees to everything the NF wants us to do, but the Referee position is only a figure head. This is why they changed the rule in the NCAA Rulebook. After the game starts, the Referee position is only a figure head position. If you are working with a very well respected official you might be the Referee, but they might be the "senior" official or the true Referee when things get hot in the game. I understand what the rulebook might say, but you have to get along too. If they wanted you to be the Referee, then take it. But just because you are the Referee, does not mean that they will allow you to take over in tight situations. You think if you are a rookie and you are assigned with a "big time" officials, that they are going to let you decide or make the final decisions on things they make determinations on?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Hey Rut,
2-man crew, a 15 year vet and a 2 year guy. The vet lets the 2 year guy toss. He is now the R.
Last second shot to determine the game. Vet is trail says it counts (let's say he is mistaken), 2 year guy is the lead and has definite knowledge that the shot was late. Fed rules say the R can overrule here!
I often let the newer guys that I do a jv game with be the R, but tell them that if anything goofy happens we will come together and discuss it.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Rut, I agree with you. Just because an official tosses the ball, doesn't mean that they aren't the lead official. When/if things get hot, the assignor/supervisor will be relying on the stronger official to keep the game in check.

If a new official is R with a strong vet as their partner and there is a situation such as a last minute shot, they should get together and discuss it. The vet should let the younger official handle things at the table, but they should agree with the call before he/she does.

Of course that is in a perfect world.

My two sense!