Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 05:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
[/B]
They have coaching boards like this?!? I bet we really get good press on their posts!!! No wonder they all think alike and have their own interpretation on rules and conduct

(hawks,gsf etc hope you know I am just kidding!!!) [/B][/QUOTE]The coach's boards aren't usually that bad. What's really amazing,if you hunt around for 'em,are some of the fan's boards-high school,university,etc.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

The foul is charged directly to the head coach (Art. 2). If the head coach is the offender, the foul is charged directly to him/her. The foul is charged to the offender and also charged indirectly to the head coach.

Plz forgive but how is the rule above interpeted?

1. Coach receives an indirect T and the offender recives a direct T?

2. Coach Indirect and Offender Indirect

3. Indirect Coach only

4. Indirect Offender only

In this sitch wouldn't it be Offender(Player) only?
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 07:28pm
In Memoriam

Woodee,forget about the quote at the top of your post,That was only used to illustrate that a coach gets "seat-belted" if he/she gets a direct or indirect technical foul.
I think what you are looking for is Rule 10-3-5,which states that a player gets a technical foul for grasping the rim during the warm-up.The penalty section for 10-3-5 also states that an indirect technical foul is also charged to the head coach if the grasping was done during the pre-game or intermission.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Gotcha!!!!!!
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
he then came and told me (we were still on the court warming up) that the other team was assest a T and that any of my five starters would be able to shoot the free-throws.
Actually, this is wrong, too! Any of your team members may shoot the free throws. Therefore, it didn't have to be one of your starters. You could put someone in off the bench to shoot. You could even have one sub shoot the first and then a second sub shoot the second free throw.

It really annoys me when officials call the obscure stuff and then mess up the rule! If you are going to call it, you better know the whole thing.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
[/B]
That's fine,as long as you whisper to the new head coach that he just got very lucky-and why,and you also had a coach on the other team that didn't know the rules.If the other coach did,you could be giving yourself a real headache.

I still don't think I would have insisted on the 6 throws and the coaches ejection from the game. Yes I was the opposing coach (my first year also). And I did know what the rule was, but again, first game of the year, I'm not going to make a big deal of it. It it had happened later in the year then I may may have asked the official something like "shouldn't we get two for each grab" and then leave it up to him/her but I still don't think I would press the issue.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
That's fine,as long as you whisper to the new head coach that he just got very lucky-and why,and you also had a coach on the other team that didn't know the rules.If the other coach did,you could be giving yourself a real headache.

I still don't think I would have insisted on the 6 throws and the coaches ejection from the game. Yes I was the opposing coach (my first year also). And I did know what the rule was, but again, first game of the year, I'm not going to make a big deal of it. It it had happened later in the year then I may may have asked the official something like "shouldn't we get two for each grab" and then leave it up to him/her but I still don't think I would press the issue. [/B]
IMO that sounds like a very classy way to handle the situation.

My two sense!