Administrator

White socks!!
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Apr 30, 2011, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

As far as what color socks, I'd check what is the custom in your area, but I've always worn black socks. Never realized people thought you looked like an old man wearing black socks...unless you're talking about the high socks in which case you'll look like an old man period regardless of color. I know when I was in high school not too long ago, none of us would be caught wearing white socks with black shoes unless the socks were low cut.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Apr 30, 2011, 07:48pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Black socks, but be sure to wear a pair of white socks underneath. My frosh basketball coach told us a story about some president's son who got blood poisoning from wearing colored socks next to his feet, which has prompted me to this day to always wear a pair of white socks inside my black socks whenever black is called for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
That's an urban legend. Calvin Coolidge Jr. died as a result of blood poisoning not as a result of colored socks next to his feet. Rather he died because played tennis with his brother without wearing socks...and subsequently developed a blister which became infected.

snopes.com: Death of Calvin Coolidge's Son
Consider the source.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2011, 07:48pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I, too, wear white socks in the summer.
Do you have a black PODS in summer?
Old Sat Apr 30, 2011, 08:16pm
This IS My Social Life

But He Was My Coach!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Consider the source.
Hey, my frosh coach was right about the 1-3-1 zone which my alma mater still uses with much success today, so he must have been right about me not wearing colored socks next to our feet. You can go ahead and die of some kind of blood disorder, but not me!
Old Sun May 01, 2011, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
As far as what color socks, I'd check what is the custom in your area, but I've always worn black socks. Never realized people thought you looked like an old man wearing black socks...unless you're talking about the high socks in which case you'll look like an old man period regardless of color. I know when I was in high school not too long ago, none of us would be caught wearing white socks with black shoes unless the socks were low cut.
Same here. I always wear black socks and don't get the connection with old men unless you are talking about high dress type socks.

Those of us who grew up in the Fab Five days, at least the people I know and encounter, usually wear low cut black socks with black sneakers. Much better look IMO.
Old Sun May 01, 2011, 08:27am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Basic Question: Black or white sock with shorts and stripes for summer leagues?

If I was color blind it would not matter

Thanks!
We use white socks; preferably ankle socks.
Old Sun May 01, 2011, 09:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

'Can't stand ya' ...

Quote:
Black socks, but be sure to wear a pair of white socks underneath. My frosh basketball coach told us a story about some president's son who got blood poisoning from wearing colored socks next to his feet, which has prompted me to this day to always wear a pair of white socks inside my black socks whenever black is called for.
My junior high school gym teacher (that's what they were called back then, not physical education instructors, like today) told us pretty much the same thing. Never colored socks for gym class. If you get a blister, the dye could cause blood poisoning. Also, always wear two pairs of socks, to prevent blisters. Forty-five years later and I'm still following Mr. Dimico's sage advice.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 01, 2011 at 10:45am.
Old Sun May 01, 2011, 11:44am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

I actually wear the same socks for games regardless of the season. They're "special" socks for diabetics (which I am), since we have to take extra care of our feet. They are two layers that "give" when you walk or run so there's no pulling or friction with your feet, especially the bottoms. The inside lining is white and the outside layer is black. They're perfect for officiating even if you don't have foot problems. They're made by the Wright corporation and I buy them at a foot care store.
Old Sun May 01, 2011, 12:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Camp = white socks

Summer League = black socks

Regardless of color, always ankle length.
Old Sun May 01, 2011, 03:04pm
This IS My Social Life

Eureka!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
. . . The inside lining is white and the outside layer is black. They're perfect for officiating even if you don't have foot problems. . .
What? Come again? Black socks that are white on the inside? Wright Corporation? Someone pinch me!
That way I'd be able to cut my sock drawer inventory in half and my frosh Coach Dobberstein would still approve and I won't get some presidential disease where my feet fall off and I have to officiate with stubs for the rest of my life.
Thanx Mark! I'm getting some for camps!
Old Sun May 01, 2011, 06:55pm
This IS My Social Life

Hey Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
. . . "special" socks for diabetics . . . two layers . . . inside lining is white and the outside layer is black . . . made by the Wright corporation . . .
I went to several websites and had difficulty findiing which style of Wright socks you're talking about. Can you give me a style # from a website that can plug me into which ones you're talking about?
You can PM me if you don't feel like being some sort of crass salesman for another's company.
Really. I'll order 'em tonight.
Old Sun May 01, 2011, 07:41pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
After being ill-equipt once, I now carry shorts and extra socks (white and black) with me in my bag at all times.

When in Rome.........
Old Sun May 01, 2011, 08:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I went to several websites and had difficulty findiing which style of Wright socks you're talking about. Can you give me a style # from a website that can plug me into which ones you're talking about?
You can PM me if you don't feel like being some sort of crass salesman for another's company.
Really. I'll order 'em tonight.
I think it's their "xtra wide" style 528 - color: black.

WRIGHTSOCK Anti-Blister Double Layer and Performance Sport Socks