The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is your assignor fair to you?
yes 40 85.11%
no 2 4.26%
50/50 5 10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Smile I assign another sport.....................................

however after being a hs assigner for 10 years an officiating small college basketball for 17 years, here is what I have learned.

Maybe this will help you.

At the high school level, assigners only really care about 10% of the games.

If you live in DC it is the DeMatha/Gonzaga game. In Philly it is most likely

Roamn Catholic / Nueman - Goretti. Otherwise they are just covering games.

An assigner will identify talent and try to move that guy along over the

course of time. There are a % of guys who are in it for the money only.

Most guys on this site don't fit that example. Sometimes an assigner may

be trying to help you with geographics and travel and you get a garbage

game.

If you go to camp, let your assigner know. Remember though, it is

really important that you are LOW MAINTAINANCE. I would never call

a college assigner, the way some of my hs guys call me. Do your job.

If your assigner never calls you, that is a good thing. Accept you games in

a timely fashion. I see guys all the time that "HOLD" games hoping

that something better may come along from another assigner.

Finally as important as you think your schedule may be, remember that he

also has 50 other officials who think that their schedule is the most

important thing going. And don't forget the A.D.'s and coaches. In the big

picture, we are all only a small fish in a HUGE sea.......
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
[QUOTE=grunewar;751778]Ya got the end part right, but ensure you cut and past this part [QUOTE=socal;751731] for the front of the quote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
We've all gotta start somewhere! Good luck

Try it, you'll like it!
Like this?

Got it, I think.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Not quite......keep trying
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 03:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffish View Post
Not quite......keep trying
you need "quote=..." bracketed at the beginning and "/quote" bracketed at the end.

But really, why not just hit the quote button for the post you to which you are replying?
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

I want to be all fancy and put quotes and responses and quotes again with more responses......
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 04:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
you need "quote=..." bracketed at the beginning and "/quote" bracketed at the end.

But really, why not just hit the quote button for the post you to which you are replying?
Quote:
I want to be all fancy and put quotes and responses
Like this?

Quote:
and quotes again with more responses......
If you click on the icon next to the "quote" icon, you'll see it highlight. This allows you to easily quote multiple posts.

Splitting them up individually is just a matter of copying the (quote=xxxx;1234) portion and typing in the (/quote) (with brackets instead of parentheses) at the end of each portion.

Then anything you type in between the portions will show as your own.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 06:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Little Corner Of The Land Of Steady Habits ...

How long has the assigner had that job in your association?
Three or four years.

Is he/she voted in?
Executive Committee (elected by members) hires the assigner every year. It's a one year contract. Anyone can apply for the job.

Or just given the job by those he gives the best games to, including him/herself?
Our constitution states that the assigner cannot be an active official.

How many terms / years is your assignor’s term before having to either be re-elected or appointed?
One year contract. The contract can be renewed at the end of each season.

Is the system fair in your area?
Yes.

Or is it because he/she just gives them self and their close friends the best games?
He's not allowed to work games.

Our assigner uses a rating/ranking system where all 300 of us rate our partners, and any other officials on site that night. The assigner has to assign each member games that fall within a range of games for that ranking. This range of games is determined by the Executive Committee, and is checked at the beginning, and again, at the end, of each season to make sure that everybody gets their fair number of games. Our assigner does have a little bit of wiggle room, high end of range, versus low end of range of games, and the quality of games. He bases this on, not only the ratings/rankings, but also on what he observes. He's out observing officials almost every night of the season.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Apr 20, 2011, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

In my association the commissioner is an elected position with the term being for 2 years. Overall in my time on this board, my assignor has been fair to me. I had a couple of "gripes" that I aired with him in a professional and positive manner during this past season. And, we have moved on.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Every Athletic Conference here has its own assignor. I work for four different assignors. They are chosen by the principals of the high schools in each conference.

Unfortunately, I am losing access to one conference. Tell me what you all think.

Assignor A just picked up a second conference due to a retirement. In order to work for him you must attend HIS camp. Every year. He claims its so he can assess the performance of the officials that work for him. However, only about 1 in three games during the camp has anyone assessing the officials.

A friend of mine, who is a 10 plus year veteran doing exclusively varsity work was forced to go out of town on business the weekend of the camp a couple of years ago. After working for this assignor for 7 years, and contacting him to explain why he couldn't attend that year, he was dropped. And yes, he's a good official. The camp is nothing more than a kick back. I have been asked to attend the camp but refuse on principle. I'll get enough games elsewhere. But the guy is an ethical nightmare.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
Tell me what you all think.

Assignor A just picked up a second conference due to a retirement. In order to work for him you must attend HIS camp. Every year. He claims its so he can assess the performance of the officials that work for him. However, only about 1 in three games during the camp has anyone assessing the officials.
How much is the camp?
Do they use video?
How many games do you work per day?
Any classroom sessions?
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 09:46am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
The camp is nothing more than a kick back. I have been asked to attend the camp but refuse on principle. I'll get enough games elsewhere. But the guy is an ethical nightmare.
You've made your decision. It's their loss, right? Don't compromise your ethics.

As you state, you'll "get enough games elsewhere." Good for you!
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 10:42am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Every Athletic Conference here has its own assignor. I work for four different assignors. They are chosen by the principals of the high schools in each conference.

Unfortunately, I am losing access to one conference. Tell me what you all think.

A friend of mine, who is a 10 plus year veteran doing exclusively varsity work was forced to go out of town on business the weekend of the camp a couple of years ago. After working for this assignor for 7 years, and contacting him to explain why he couldn't attend that year, he was dropped. And yes, he's a good official. The camp is nothing more than a kick back. I have been asked to attend the camp but refuse on principle. I'll get enough games elsewhere. But the guy is an ethical nightmare.
Sounds like someone you - and your friend - don't want to work for anyway...shake the dust off your shoes and enjoy the games you get from people you can respect.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to irp
I am in a difficult position on this one, I am an assigner for one of our national leagues (I live in the UK) and also hold an international licence. This means that I should get the better games but in order to help others develop I regularly work lower divisions (we don't have the HS/College setup common in the US).

This works for me as I have to think about what I am doing all the time, working with new / old / good / bad officials. That said, it can be a major PITA before finals when teams expect the better refs to work games and see me working D3 and only occasional D1.

This is my first year in the job and I must say it is not easy to keep everyone happy, if I take the games that the teams / most other officials would expect me to work then I am accused of creaming off the good games by some. If I don't then am I being a martyr to maintain the impression of independence and fairness? I must also note that I do not get paid for doing the assignments nor do I get a percentage of fees. I can get phone expenses but that is all.

I should say that for my regional and county leagues where I don’t appoint, I get D1, D2, and playoffs. This works fine and I feel that the assigners play fair based on what they see me do on court and the politics is not as much.

Having had different assigners in the past I would say that, on the whole, they play it fair. It is not easy and yes, sometimes personalities come into it, but that is the same everywhere in life – right or wrong – I will leave that to the philosophers.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 11:25am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by irp View Post
I must also note that I do not get paid for doing the assignments nor do I get a percentage of fees. I can get phone expenses but that is all.
Say what???

Why would you not get paid - either by the leagues you are assigning for or by collecting a fee from the officials you assign??

That makes absolutely no sense...it's a LOT of time and work and you should be paid for that.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

IRP ............. Why ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by irp View Post
I am in a difficult position on this one, I am an assigner for one of our national leagues (I live in the UK) and also hold an international licence. This means that I should get the better games but in order to help others develop I regularly work lower divisions (we don't have the HS/College setup common in the US).

This works for me as I have to think about what I am doing all the time, working with new / old / good / bad officials. That said, it can be a major PITA before finals when teams expect the better refs to work games and see me working D3 and only occasional D1.

This is my first year in the job and I must say it is not easy to keep everyone happy, if I take the games that the teams / most other officials would expect me to work then I am accused of creaming off the good games by some. If I don't then am I being a martyr to maintain the impression of independence and fairness? I must also note that I do not get paid for doing the assignments nor do I get a percentage of fees. I can get phone expenses but that is all.

I should say that for my regional and county leagues where I don’t appoint, I get D1, D2, and playoffs. This works fine and I feel that the assigners play fair based on what they see me do on court and the politics is not as much.

Having had different assigners in the past I would say that, on the whole, they play it fair. It is not easy and yes, sometimes personalities come into it, but that is the same everywhere in life – right or wrong – I will leave that to the philosophers.

Please tell us why you don't get paid for the position. I spend about 4 hrs a day assigning a hs sport (20 schools). Add a couple bucks a game to the contract, the next time you get a chance if at all possible.......