The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

This is one of the most difficult parts of officiating, how to handle coaches. When the rookie walks on to the floor, they don't want to upset anybody because they want to continue to be hired, probably going to take a lot of undeserved crap. As you mature the skin grows thicker. The choke sign needs no warning, whack. The Freshman and JV coach deserves maybe one stop sign, depending the situation. If avoided, whack. The varsity coach deserves maybe a stop sign, maybe a second, depending the situation, whack.

We must "TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS". An official is out there to enhance the educational values of the players. They shouldn't be worried about what the coach will think, worried if he will get re-hired, worried about having to write a report, etc. I have learned over the years that if you handle the "T" foul situation professionally and with no emotions, your presence grows much quicker and every athletic director will want to hire you.

Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 03:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I think the stop sign is effective - but I also think it is overdone sometimes. To me the stop sign is one step from a technical. If I put up a stop sign and the coach runs it, I have no choice but to write the ticket.

Many times I'll see the stop sign go up when a coach is just doing a little chipping.

The higher you go, the more they will chip. At the subvarsity level, I don't tolerate much. At the varsity level, I take a bit more. It goes with the territory. Your hearing just has to get a bit more selective. Only hear the time-out requests

It doesn't hurt to talk to coaches, either. I always try to talk them down off the ledge before they throw themselves off it.

Rich
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 04:30pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
Choke sign while I was reporting
If a coach shows me up like this, he's gone. Ejected. I have no problem with chatter and questioning calls on occasion, but a gesture like this in front of everyone is a challenge. Throw his butt out and I bet he'll think twice the next time that thought crosses his mind.
I agree with this.

This gesture is beyond the normal scope of those earning a Technical Foul.

Mike
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by John Schaefferkoetter
When the rookie walks on to the floor, they don't want to upset anybody because they want to continue to be hired, probably going to take a lot of undeserved crap. As you mature the skin grows thicker.
__________________________________________________ __________

This is true to an extent. (I'm not so sure it is "undeserved" though)
Consider this...a Rookie is probably going to hear more from the Coaches and Fans because he/she more than likely is actually missing the calls. They are more likely to be out of position, they are more likely to lack confidence, they are more likely to have less rules knowledge, they are more likely to have black sweat pants and unpolished shoes...

Not to worry...most of the time they get better!
In the meantime, Suck it Up!
IMHO, a rookie should have thick skin. Remember, the Howler might actually be right...you're kicking the calls!
Now...as we get more experienced...we KNOW what's going on, and we won't take as much from a Howler...maybe that's thiner skinned, maybe that's just having a better command of the game.
...just some thoughts.

Dude

Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Choke sign while I was reporting
If a coach does this to me, he'll spend the rest of the game in the parking lot choking his chicken.
Oh, jeez . . .

Hopefully he'll then get arrested for public indecency.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
they are more likely to have black sweat pants and unpolished shoes...
Well, in that case, point at their shoes and puke on their pants!

Or is it puke on their shoes and point at their pants?

Puke on their whistle and pull down their pants?

You guys get my drift.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 09:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
they are more likely to have black sweat pants and unpolished shoes...
Well, in that case, point at their shoes and puke on their pants!

Or is it puke on their shoes and point at their pants?

Puke on their whistle and pull down their pants?

You guys get my drift.
Don't give up your day job,Mark!
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 12:50am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
This is geared towards guys who have worked Freshman / JV double headers
__________________________________________________ _________

Done that. Mostly small schools around here so the freshman coach and the JV coach are the same person. Same coach, same officials, back to back games. Familiarity breeds contempt. I think that's a famous saying.
__________________________________________________ _________

I let him go because I didnt want to be known as the guy who ran the Freshman coach and then whacked the JV coach.

How would you handle?
__________________________________________________ __________

Easy for me to say from here, but I think this part of the game, just like every other part of the game must stand on its own merit, or lack of merit. If he deserves it, you toss the second coach, and the third, and so on. I have called 8 T's on coaches in 16 years, so I don't feel like I give them out easily. Coaches run their mouths at officials. I think it is part of their job description. I can take a lot. But some T's (profanity, choke sign, "Ref, you suck!") are like a travel. You may not have been looking for them. You may not have seen them coming. But, there they are, so Whack and move on.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 05:41am
Official Forum Member

What's the big deal?

Larks,
This is a simple process. First you throw out the Freshman coach when he misbehaves, then you toss the JV coach, and lastly you do the same with the Varsity coach. When the school finds someone who can conduct himself like a gentleman during the game, then he can stay and coach the team.
Remember, a T is just another foul. In HS it is the same as a shooting foul followed by a turnover or an offensive rebound, and in college it is simply one foul.

Either way, it is not a big deal.

Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Re: What's the big deal?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Larks,
This is a simple process. First you throw out the Freshman coach when he misbehaves, then you toss the JV coach, and lastly you do the same with the Varsity coach. When the school finds someone who can conduct himself like a gentleman during the game, then he can stay and coach the team.
Remember, a T is just another foul. In HS it is the same as a shooting foul followed by a turnover or an offensive rebound, and in college it is simply one foul.

Either way, it is not a big deal.

Excellent points everyone. The comments about "rookie or younger officials" may not be far off but also consider that we are all striving to move up. We hear a lot of stories about officials who because of one game get blocked out of an entire league. You put those concerns on top of the fact that in a heated rivalry game that already included an ejection from the freshman game before it and we get to my earlier point.

I did receive some advice on this issue from a local varsity guy who works in the same leagues I do on this: "Dont be miserable for an entire hour and a half so that one A-hole can be happy. Whack him early if justified and let him determine his own fate from there."

Next time I'll handle this type of sitch a lot better.

Good stuff everyone.

Larks
Veteran in Training
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

AMEN TO MARK PADGETT. YEEEEERRRRRR OUTAHEAR :}