The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I know we usually refer to the NBA here as the NBE, but after watching some of the playoff games over the last few days, I suggest we call it the NWBA, which stands for the "National Whiney Babies Association". I've never seen so many whiney reactions for foul calls. And it's "both ways", complaining when a foul is called against them, and complaining when a foul isn't called against an opponent. I know this happens all the time, but it seems to be even worse so far in this year's playoffs.

As usual, Kobe seems to be leading the pack. I think he complained that a foul wasn't called against a opponent out in the parking lot before the game.

The league should issue crying towels. These guys are acting like 3rd graders. Oh wait - 3rd graders are actually more mature.
Complaining about their complaining...... J.K. It drives me absolutely insane watching the prima donnas!! It unfortunately has caused me to watch less NBA and more college. Duncan has always driven me crazy with his dumbfounded "I've never made contact with another player in my entire playing career" face.

Speaking of complaining: Nobody likes complainers, but this is going a tad too far | NBA.com

The Wall Street Journal tracked the complaining in last year's finals Who Complains About Fouls More: The Lakers or the Celtics? - WSJ.com
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 09:37am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I know we usually refer to the NBA here as the NBE, but after watching some of the playoff games over the last few days, I suggest we call it the NWBA, which stands for the "National Whiney Babies Association". I've never seen so many whiney reactions for foul calls. And it's "both ways", complaining when a foul is called against them, and complaining when a foul isn't called against an opponent. I know this happens all the time, but it seems to be even worse so far in this year's playoffs.

As usual, Kobe seems to be leading the pack. I think he complained that a foul wasn't called against a opponent out in the parking lot before the game.

The league should issue crying towels. These guys are acting like 3rd graders. Oh wait - 3rd graders are actually more mature.
I blame HD.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

The only thing I'm gonna say about this is it really doesn't seem that bad when you are actually on the floor reffing because they react and after that we are on to watching the next thing or thinking about something else. Since the higher attention to the "respect for the game" guidelines this year I personally feel the complaining, at least directed directly toward the officials has decreased. JMO and perspective.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 01:17pm
Archaic Power Monger

Then there's Sidney Crosby and Sean Avery...
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 01:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
The only thing I'm gonna say about this is it really doesn't seem that bad when you are actually on the floor reffing because they react and after that we are on to watching the next thing or thinking about something else. Since the higher attention to the "respect for the game" guidelines this year I personally feel the complaining, at least directed directly toward the officials has decreased. JMO and perspective.
Fair enough points, but I'll just add that it seems worse to us amrefs who work with the kids and coaches who are watching these knuckleheads.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 02:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Fair enough points, but I'll just add that it seems worse to us amrefs who work with the kids and coaches who are watching these knuckleheads.
There is an easy way to nip that in the bud. I personally do not care what they see if they are too stupid to realize they do not make those checks the players they are watching.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 02:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There is an easy way to nip that in the bud. I personally do not care what they see if they are too stupid to realize they do not make those checks the players they are watching.

Peace
Yeah, but it's annoying. I can and do deal with it, I'd just rather not have to. Even at the JV level, the coaches pretty much know they can't do it, and the kids are coached to play.

I do enjoy the fans' cries when I deal with a rogue player or coach, though. "You can't give him a T for that!"
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 02:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yeah, but it's annoying. I can and do deal with it, I'd just rather not have to. Even at the JV level, the coaches pretty much know they can't do it, and the kids are coached to play.

I do enjoy the fans' cries when I deal with a rogue player or coach, though. "You can't give him a T for that!"
I have a few lines where I make it clear to a player or sometimes a coach, "You do realize this is not the NBA?" Many times that stops all comments or gyrations towards me or my partners. Actually I think most of this is not about pro sports, but it is about adults not setting boundaries with the children (which they are until they can go fight in a war in our military).

Peace
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Well you just don't see it at those levels or even the D1 level because, those are still just kids and for a lack of a better term, the coaches "own" them. He has the power to do whatever he wants. If a player tries to mouth off to an official the coach can chew him up and down. At the pro level, these are grown MEN. They have a mind of their own and have an attitude and personality of their own. They don't have to conform their attitudes to that of what their coach wants. Coaches in the NBA wouldn't dare try to chew out a player in public, because more often than not he would lose that player forever. It is just a whole different ballgame. You don't have to just deal with 2 personalities (both coaches) such as in college, you have to deal with 12 personalities at one time and that takes a lot of focus and attention along with having to referee a solid, high paced, above the rim game. That's what makes it a lot tougher than other levels to me. And I also think it is sad, because the cameras don't show all the civil and nice calm interactions the players have with the referees and even the humorous ones from time to time. The only time they cut to a player is after a tough call and then it shows their reaction which looks like they are whining but sometimes they really aren't that bad and then sometimes they really are that bad!! haha
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
And I also think it is sad, because the cameras don't show all the civil and nice calm interactions the players have with the referees and even the humorous ones from time to time. The only time they cut to a player is after a tough call and then it shows their reaction which looks like they are whining but sometimes they really aren't that bad and then sometimes they really are that bad!! haha
Well duh...it doesn't make for good television if they showed positive interactions between coach/players and referee.

This reminds me a story Charles Barkley told one time where he told Dick Barvetta (I think), that he was going to make it appear as if he was chewing him out yet he was complementing him. Announcers were there really thinking Charles was giving Barvetta the business.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

They call the whining playing with emotion. I'm so sick and tired of hearing about letting the players play with emotion. They can play with emotion. How about the players learn to control their emotions a little better?
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor74 View Post
They call the whining playing with emotion. I'm so sick and tired of hearing about letting the players play with emotion. They can play with emotion. How about the players learn to control their emotions a little better?
Go to phrase for all announcers at all levels of play regardless of what sport. Pretty sure it's in the announcer's book of really "good" announcing. Even heard a TNT crew last night suggest an official to physically look the other way to avoid having to call one after they assessed one to a player. Literally made me do a double take after hearing that one.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 10:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Go to phrase for all announcers at all levels of play regardless of what sport. Pretty sure it's in the announcer's book of really "good" announcing. Even heard a TNT crew last night suggest an official to physically look the other way to avoid having to call one after they assessed one to a player. Literally made me do a double take after hearing that one.
I didn't watch the Celtics/Knicks game, but I about vomited in my car when I heard Greenberg saying the official shouldn't have called the offensive foul on Melo late in the game. Essentially, yeah, he gave him a forearm shiver but it shouldn't have been called at that point in the game.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't watch the Celtics/Knicks game, but I about vomited in my car when I heard Greenberg saying the official shouldn't have called the offensive foul on Melo late in the game. Essentially, yeah, he gave him a forearm shiver but it shouldn't have been called at that point in the game.
That was an easy offensive foul call...Carmelo used a "swim" move in the process of getting post position when the defense was in a legal position. Monty McCutchen was all over it as lead. The ole "let the players decide the game/can't call that at the end of the game" is probably chapter one of the Announcer's Book of Really "Good" Announcing ©.

I do admit that sometimes I enjoy listening to the announcers of a team who feel like they were "wronged" on such obvious calls. Stupid can be very entertaining!

Last edited by APG; Mon Apr 18, 2011 at 10:56pm.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 11:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
ESPN people have been complaining about that call all day. And they said "You cannot make a call in that situation." Or, "Let the players decide the game." I love the last one.

Peace