The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
ESPN people have been complaining about that call all day. And they said "You cannot make a call in that situation." Or, "Let the players decide the game." I love the last one.

Peace
Just saw the play again...I'm not even sure what the controversy is here. I saw the play in real time and had the same call. *shrug*

ESPN has been known to make controversy out of nothing...just another case.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 12:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Just saw the play again...I'm not even sure what the controversy is here. I saw the play in real time and had the same call. *shrug*

ESPN has been known to make controversy out of nothing...just another case.
It does not go along with the so-called NBA narrative. They called a foul against a star in a critical moment in the game. Of course it is not controversial to us, but to the stupid commentator, that should not happen. Let them throw elbows and hit someone in the head; I guess this is supposed to be OK. I just find it funny how ignorant they are about these things. You would think they would talk to someone to get a ruling instead of telling people that actually officiate games what should or should not be called. I guess that does not make good ratings to use facts to discuss sports.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It does not go along with the so-called NBA narrative. They called a foul against a star in a critical moment in the game. Of course it is not controversial to us, but to the stupid commentator, that should not happen. Let them throw elbows and hit someone in the head; I guess this is supposed to be OK. I just find it funny how ignorant they are about these things. You would think they would talk to someone to get a ruling instead of telling people that actually officiate games what should or should not be called. I guess that does not make good ratings to use facts to discuss sports.

Peace
I agree it doesn't go with their ("experts") narrative, and that's why they're f****** idiots. Said "stars" do get called for fouls in end-game situations...just ask Paul Pierce (who drew the foul) and Carmelo himself (charge call to end the game...there was a thread about it). Like I said, ESPN has been known to drum out "controversy" over nothing because as you said, no one is going to tune in to see "experts" agree with a call.

Seriously heard one of the announcers complaining about "ticky-tack" fouls (chapter two of the Announcer's Book of Really "Good" Announcing ©.) and that they should call the game as if it was the NHL playoffs (which have been awesome by the way).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 07:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...Seriously heard one of the announcers complaining about "ticky-tack" fouls (chapter two of the Announcer's Book of Really "Good" Announcing ©.) and that they should call the game as if it was the NHL playoffs (which have been awesome by the way).
I believe that is Bruce Bowens who keeps complaining about "ticky-tack" fouls.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 08:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I believe that is Bruce Bowens who keeps complaining about "ticky-tack" fouls.
Figures.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 11:04am
certified Hot Mom tester

Trailblazer HC Nate McMillan just got notice of a $35,000 fine for comments about the officiating following the Blazer's first playoff loss. I read his comments. He deserved it.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Go to phrase for all announcers at all levels of play regardless of what sport. Pretty sure it's in the announcer's book of really "good" announcing. Even heard a TNT crew last night suggest an official to physically look the other way to avoid having to call one after they assessed one to a player. Literally made me do a double take after hearing that one.

I heard that one to and almost fell off my chair. Didn't surprise me. But let's say Bill Kennedy looked the other way and someone punched the other player. Then they'd be screaming how the official right there didn't see it because he wasn't looking. Looking would be doing his job. Just amazing
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 05:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pepperidge Farm Remembers ...

This morning, the drive time sportscaster, on our 50,000 watt flamethrower, suggested that the NBA use four officials. Two to act as the center and trail, moving up, and down, the court with the players. And two to just stand on the endlines as non-moving leads. He suggested this after talking about the missed basket interference call in the Nuggets game (?) and some "bad" calls at the end of the Knicks Celtics game.

He also mentioned a bad call in this year's NCAA tournament. He talked about a flagrant foul being assessed when the replay showed a legally blocked shot. I don't remember any such play? Does anybody remember.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This morning, the drive time sportscaster, on our 50,000 watt flamethrower, suggested that the NBA use four officials. Two to act as the center and trail, moving up, and down, the court with the players. And two to just stand on the endlines as non-moving leads. He suggested this after talking about the missed basket interference call in the Nuggets game (?) and some "bad" calls at the end of the Knicks Celtics game.

He also mentioned a bad call in this year's NCAA tournament. He talked about a flagrant foul being assessed when the replay showed a legally blocked shot. I don't remember any such play? Does anybody remember.
To your last point...I don't remember anyone mentioning this...I would have for sure put that play up (on a side note, I'm been able to get my account and most videos back up...hopefully the rest later).

As to having four officials...the missed BI call would not have been helped by going to that system. All three officials were in their proper positions...it was just a no call incorrect. What people don't seem to realize, is that BI/goaltending calls can be quite difficult at times to call in real time. To be honest, when I first say the play, I didn't have anything, but it was an obvious miss on replay. The offensive foul call in the New York v. Boston game also wouldn't have been "helped" having four officials. The lead official (Monty McCutchen) was in great position to see the play, and it was properly adjudicated. I don't remember any other calls from the end of that game.

Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 07:59pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

NBA 4-Person Mechanics
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of ESPN and creating controversy this is the lead "story" on their website right now for the Dallas-Portland game taking place right now:

NBA playoffs 2011: Referee Danny Crawford assigned to Game 2 of Dallas Mavericks-Portland Trail Blazers series - ESPN Dallas
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Speaking of ESPN and creating controversy this is the lead "story" on their website right now for the Dallas-Portland game taking place right now:

NBA playoffs 2011: Referee Danny Crawford assigned to Game 2 of Dallas Mavericks-Portland Trail Blazers series - ESPN Dallas
Pure bull****....at least nine of those losses have been by double digits.

Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 09:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Someone at ESPN needs to get some scruples.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Someone at ESPN needs to get some scruples.
I will give the guys on Around the Horn some credit...when asked if this was an issue, all of them to a tee said it wasn't an issue at all that Dan was working the game and that Dan Crawford was on of the best officials in the NBA.

When your team is a consistent loser in the playoffs, you have to grasp at straws.

Last edited by APG; Tue Apr 19, 2011 at 10:42pm.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 10:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I will give the guys on Around the Horn come credit...when asked if this was an issue, all of them to a tee said it wasn't an issue at all that Dan was working the game and that Dan Crawford was on of the best officials in the NBA.

When your team is a consistent loser in the playoffs, you have to grasp at straws.
Maybe they can blame him for Greg Oden, too.