The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Had a 1st year partner, 8th grade girls. Blow out by EOQ1.
Loosers frustration building.

At start of Q2 something happened underneith and parter throws a "T". Then another one back to back. 2 differnet players same (loosing) team. BTW the home team.

So hell opens up. He didn't sell either, got flustered, didn't report, paced under the BBoard...pissed. Crowd on him hard, coach's up.....

I do my best to sort it out, calm him down, get the report, admin 2 shots, ask girls to settle down but my co was shook. Next time down the same way, I call foul - he calls and signals INTENTIONAL on same play in MY ZONE!

Gym starting to get real small.

I wanted to support him, but... he'd lost his demeaner! He was redfaced pacing still. Not reporting just blowing and pacing.

We needed a break. Told him I'd talk to coach's, he should "get it togather". I called coach's to table asked they help settle teams down. We inch'd along but I had 11 people on the court to watch now.

Any advice? Bad night.

Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Get in, get done, get out.

You've got no choice but to ride it out till halftime. Were you able to bring him back down during the break? Not a good situation, but not much that you can do about it, except try to calm him when you get the chance.

Chuck
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Had a 1st year partner, 8th grade girls. Blow out by EOQ1.
Loosers frustration building.

At start of Q2 something happened underneith and parter throws a "T". Then another one back to back. 2 differnet players same (loosing) team. BTW the home team.

So hell opens up. He didn't sell either, got flustered, didn't report, paced under the BBoard...pissed. Crowd on him hard, coach's up.....

I do my best to sort it out, calm him down, get the report, admin 2 shots, ask girls to settle down but my co was shook. Next time down the same way, I call foul - he calls and signals INTENTIONAL on same play in MY ZONE!

Gym starting to get real small.

I wanted to support him, but... he'd lost his demeaner! He was redfaced pacing still. Not reporting just blowing and pacing.

We needed a break. Told him I'd talk to coach's, he should "get it togather". I called coach's to table asked they help settle teams down. We inch'd along but I had 11 people on the court to watch now.

I've been in this place a time or two -- not your place, but your partner's. Later wished I had a partner like you were. From the receiving end, what I would have liked was just the pause you engineered, with some encouraging words such as "Ref in the moment, let the past go." "I think we've got it under control now" "You can do this, and I need you" or some such. I'm wondering if the second half went better.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Being an official takes a certain mentality. I don't think you can develop it after you start working games, either. Your mental temperment is part of who you are and comes from your upbringing, your schooling, your social circle, etc.
Some people truly are not going to make good officials. It sounds like the partner you had this night is one of those.
It would be nice if this weren't true, I have no hope for this guy.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Your partner may not be well suited for officiating. That being the case, the very first time he gave the T's and was obviously flustered, if there was anything you could do, it was right then. Go to him and give him support (no matter what he's done). Say okay, what have you got? Ok, so we're going to need a shooter for four throws at this end right? We'll need to clear everyone out of here. I'll do that while you report the T's, we need to stay calm alright? I'll help you out, you report the T's and administer and I'll try to get the coaches to help us out, sound good? Ok, here we go, we'll get through it.
Just keep talking until he calms down enough to keep it from getting worse. It may not work, but it has helped me with a couple of guys that you swore wouldn't make it through one year.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

During the half did you ask him why he gave the Ts? What was said or done? Also, why did he think the the 3rd foul in question was intentional? Did he see something that you did not see?
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Had this happen once. I called a timeoput, treated it just like one of the teams had requested a full. While the teams were huddled at their benches, we had a qucik discussion and got our heads back on straight.

Worked for us.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 02:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Had this happen once. I called a timeoput, treated it just like one of the teams had requested a full. While the teams were huddled at their benches, we had a qucik discussion and got our heads back on straight.

Worked for us.
You lose your cool, nooooooo. That could not possibly happen.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Had this happen once. I called a timeout, treated it just like one of the teams had requested a full. While the teams were huddled at their benches, we had a quick discussion and got our heads back on straight.

Worked for us.
For once, you're right. It didn't. The timeout was for the benefit of my partner. But we're a crew on the floor, so we got our heads back on striaght and continued the game.

Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 03:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Had this happen once. I called a timeout, treated it just like one of the teams had requested a full. While the teams were huddled at their benches, we had a quick discussion and got our heads back on straight.

Worked for us.
For once, you're right. It didn't. The timeout was for the benefit of my partner. But we're a crew on the floor, so we got our heads back on striaght and continued the game.
And what rule in the rulebook gave you that justification to do that? I guess you just like to ignore the rules or I guess you probably think you saw it on the Part 1 Exam from the National Federation? I see who needs to crack a book and get a grip. Must be a regional thing with North Carolina Officials.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down NFHS 2-3

Quote:
And what rule in the rulebook gave you that justification to do that?
To the contrary, what rule did I break when I did this?

In the previous discussion, the rulebook specifically tells us that the scorer will "notify a team and its coach, through an official, whenever that team is granted its final allotted charged time-out." Yet, you choose to ignore the rule.

Please tell me what rule I have ignored.

My guess is that you ignore the time-out nitification rule because you didn't know it existed.

BTW, ever read this rule. "The referee shall make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules."

Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 03:33am
We don't rent pigs

Re: NFHS 2-3

Quote:
[BTW, ever read this rule. "The referee shall make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules."
[/B]
Amen. There's a whole bunch of those points some nights.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 03:46am
Do not give a damn!!

You called a timeout for what? You called a timeout, not for an injury, not because one of the teams called one, not for equiptment or safety issues, you called a timeout to collect yourselves. Good rational for the Referee's Authority under 2-3. Now I guess we are making it up as we go along. Officials makes a bad call, call an official's timeout. That is how the rules are intended to be used.

In the previous discussion, the rulebook specifically tells us that the scorer will "notify a team and its coach, through an official, whenever that team is granted its final allotted charged time-out." Yet, you choose to ignore the rule.

When did I say I ignored the rule? Or did I say that this was a courtesy or what not a priority? Did I say that in the effort to prevent other actions or this is not my first priority? It is not my priority to call 3 seconds? It is not my priority to call handchecking fouls on obvious layup opportunities. It is not my priorities to call every administrative T, especially if I can prevent it. You just made something up because you and your partner was having a bad game? What kind of crap is that? I guess I will just start calling "over the backs" even thought the rulebook does not specifically cover that in the rulebook I guess. Just like you ignored your responsiblity and made up what you wanted to do. Maybe that is why you need to find something else to do if you are having that kind of problem on the court.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 03:58am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
You called a timeout for what? You called a timeout, not for an injury, not because one of the teams called one, not for equiptment or safety issues, you called a timeout to collect yourselves. Peace
If a ref pulled a hamstring, wouldn't it be okay to stop long enough to at least drag him out of the way, or shall we just play around him. Therefore, if a ref loses his mind momentarily is it not just as okay to stop and let his partner(s) slap him around a bit or whatever it takes to straighten him out?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 05:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:

When did I say I ignored the rule? Or did I say that this was a courtesy or what not a priority? Did I say that in the effort to prevent other actions or this is not my first priority?
Actually,you said that there was NO such rule in the rulebook.That statement was proved completely false,but you refused to admit it.

Now can we drop this pointless argument.There was no reason to start it back up,anyway.