The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
My reputation for on the baseball diamond and probably some deperation had them ask me to referee youth basketball this year. That same deperation lead to them asking me to coach as well.

Couple of questions.

Had some confusion during subs by the girls and somehow I ended up with too many players on the court. I called out the the ref and told him that I had too many and got a team T. Should I have either just called time or tried to get one of the girls to come off the floor to avoid the T?

Now on the T, he gave the team two and the ball at the end line. I asked him, on a T don't you give the ball at the division line? He looked at me oddly asked if I meant 1/2 court (sigh) and said he didn't think so. It wasn't a huge deal so I didn't say another word but if it was a crucial situation what do you do?

Last. Ball was last touched by my team and went out. Lead looked at trial and said, I didn't see it, did you. She said No I didn't either. Both my coach and I said, Blue! We where green, and we were trying to say blue ball. He said, "I don't know who it went out on I have to go to the AP arrow." Again, I said Blue going this way. He said, I believe you but I didn't see it so I have to use the AP arrow. I actually benefitted from the screw up because the he used their AP for that. At the 1/2 I told him that I wasn't trying to cheat. He said, I know you were being honest but...I said darn straight I was being honest, I was telling you it was there ball. He said Oh...either way if I don't see it I have to use the AP arrow. Should I keep my mouth shut next time? The official in my just didn't want to benefit from a blown call. LOL.

Thanks for your patience in my long winded post.

Bob
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by blarson
somehow I ended up with too many players on the court. I called out the the ref and told him that I had too many and got a team T. Should I have either just called time or tried to get one of the girls to come off the floor to avoid the T?
The officials should not have allowed play to begin with the incorrect number of players. However, once they did so, your best bet was simply to request a TO and get the extra player out of there.

Quote:
Now on the T, he gave the team two and the ball at the end line.

You did the right thing by not hammering him about it. He was wrong, if you're playing by Fed rules. Perhaps this league uses NCAA rules? If so, then after the FTs for the T, you'd put the ball back in play at the point of interruption, which could easily be the endline. If you're using straight Fed rules, then the official just blew it.

Quote:
I actually benefitted from the screw up because the he used their AP for that. The official in me just didn't want to benefit from a blown call.
This actually wasn't a blown call. It was handled properly. There is no way an official should take the word of a coach on a play that the official didn't see. If the official is screen, or if he was watching off-ball and didn't see who touched the ball last, he/she asks the other official. If neither one knows, they have to go to the arrow. No official likes to do this, but it happens. I saw one of our own brethren on this board go to a jump ball in a 3-whistle WNBA game b/c nobody could determine who touched it last. He and his crew handled perfectly. It happens.

Good luck in the rest of your season!

Chuck
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
Thanks Chuck

Yup, Fed rules.

Thanks for the clarificaion for on the last one. I'm just being honest and giving the ball to the other team but I can see where a coach could try to manipulate the AP arrow. Next time I'll shut up and let the officials do their job.

Bob
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
I actually benefitted from the screw up because the he used their AP for that. The official in me just didn't want to benefit from a blown call.
This actually wasn't a blown call. It was handled properly. There is no way an official should take the word of a coach on a play that the official didn't see. If the official is screen, or if he was watching off-ball and didn't see who touched the ball last, he/she asks the other official. If neither one knows, they have to go to the arrow. No official likes to do this, but it happens. I saw one of our own brethren on this board go to a jump ball in a 3-whistle WNBA game b/c nobody could determine who touched it last. He and his crew handled perfectly. It happens.

Good luck in the rest of your season!

Chuck
If I've got a player/coach that is telling me that it is the other team's ball when I don't see it, I'll listen everytime. There is no motive to lie when it is giving the ball away. It's possible that they are mistaken, but not likely if they are speaking up.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
If I've got a player/coach that is telling me that it is the other team's ball when I don't see it, I'll listen everytime.
Rule #1: Call what you see. 'Nuff said, for me anyway.

Chuck