The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 11:36pm
Back from the DL

Throw-In Location After a Time-Out

I worked a youth tournament today, where I had to bust a myth by the coach.

A-1 is dribbling in the backcourt unguarded. Coach A tells me that as soon as she crosses the division line, he wants a time-out. Odd request, I'm thinking. However, just before she crosses the line, she high-tails it to the basket, giving me no time to look back at the coach, and she draws a foul. The coach didn't want the time-out by then. So far, so good.

He later asks me that, in order get the throw-in at the divsion line after a time out, must his play cross the division line before the T-O request? Of course, I tell him "no," and explain the whole "closest spot" bit. It's pretty simple, really.

My question is this: Is there a rule set somewhere that could have contributed to this myth?
Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 12:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
My question is this: Is there a rule set somewhere that could have contributed to this myth?
The NBA has some rules that a related to this. Not to say it is totally as he was expecting, but they have rules about what can happen when the ball crosses the division line.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The NBA has some rules that a related to this. Not to say it is totally as he was expecting, but they have rules about what can happen when the ball crosses the division line.

Peace
I'm not sure what NBA rule you are referring to. Play resumes on the sideline where play was interrupted. This is pretty much just like in NFHS or NCAA except there will be no throw-ins on the endline in the NBA. If a player where to call timeout when they crossed halfcourt, the throw-in would be in the frontcourt and the offense would not be able to throw it into the backcourt (unless under two minutes in the 4th/OT). The only different rule as it relates to timeouts and ball location is the option to advance it (if the proper criteria is met) under two in the 4th and/or OT.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 01:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I'm not sure what NBA rule you are referring to. Play resumes on the sideline where play was interrupted. This is pretty much just like in NFHS or NCAA except there will be no throw-ins on the endline in the NBA. If a player where to call timeout when they crossed halfcourt, the throw-in would be in the frontcourt and the offense would not be able to throw it into the backcourt (unless under two minutes in the 4th/OT). The only different rule as it relates to timeouts and ball location is the option to advance it (if the proper criteria is met) under two in the 4th and/or OT.
I believe at one time there were some rules that required the offense to get to the FC or they lost some privileges. I know now that if a timeout is called in the BC that they have to get the ball across within 8 seconds total (or get across before the 16 second mark on the shot clock). This was some time ago when this was the case, but I can ask someone and find out for sure. I just remember someone telling me there was a rule in the NBA that kind of reflects what this guy might be talking about. Then again I do not claim to be sure, just something I remember talking to someone about that I did not always realize.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I believe at one time there were some rules that required the offense to get to the FC or they lost some privileges. I know now that if a timeout is called in the BC that they have to get the ball across within 8 seconds total (or get across before the 16 second mark on the shot clock). This was some time ago when this was the case, but I can ask someone and find out for sure. I just remember someone telling me there was a rule in the NBA that kind of reflects what this guy might be talking about. Then again I do not claim to be sure, just something I remember talking to someone about that I did not always realize.

Peace
Gotcha...you are correct that in the NBA, a team has eight seconds to get it across period unless a team is awarded a new count (T/personal foul on the defense, infection control, delay of game of the defense, kick/punch ball). I actually would like to see something similar to this in NCAA (no buying yourself outta a violation). But yeah, I would be interested in finding out if that was in fact true and what "privileges" a team would have lost.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 08:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
... I actually would like to see something similar to this in NCAA (no buying yourself outta a violation)...
Me too. If Team A calls a timeout they only get unexpired portion of backcourt count.

If defensive kicks the ball or causes ball to go OOB or creates a held ball then Team A would get unexpired portion of backcourt count or 5 seconds, whichever is more, but not the full 10.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 10:10am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I actually would like to see something similar to this in NCAA (no buying yourself outta a violation).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Me too. If Team A calls a timeout they only get unexpired portion of backcourt count.
Why? If a team chooses to burn a time-out, why shouldn't they be able to "buy" themselves a new 10-seconds, or 5-seconds on a throw-in? Team control has ended with the time-out, so how can they be in "continuous" control to continue the count from where it was before the time-out?

This is the same reason I disagree with the rule about not granting a time-out when an airborne player is heading out of bounds. If they want to burn a time-out to save a possession, why should it matter if they are airborne or not? It just makes no sense, and it's inconsistent with the rest of the rules.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Why? If a team chooses to burn a time-out, why shouldn't they be able to "buy" themselves a new 10-seconds, or 5-seconds on a throw-in? Team control has ended with the time-out, so how can they be in "continuous" control to continue the count from where it was before the time-out?

This is the same reason I disagree with the rule about not granting a time-out when an airborne player is heading out of bounds. If they want to burn a time-out to save a possession, why should it matter if they are airborne or not? It just makes no sense, and it's inconsistent with the rest of the rules.
Delayed lane violation...team calls a timeout. We come back from the timeout and STILL enforce the violation at least in NFHS. It's not unprecedented.

Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True, the only endline throwins in the league are after made baskets or if the ball goes out on the endline.

IDK why they (wreck coaches/players) think the advance throwin spot is midcourt, its the 28' line.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
True, the only endline throwins in the league are after made baskets or if the ball goes out on the endline.

IDK why they (wreck coaches/players) think the advance throwin spot is midcourt, its the 28' line.
If it goes out of bounds on the baseline, hits a vertical support, after a made/awarded basket, or if there's a throw-in violation on a throw-in that was already on the baseline.

And I doubt most coaches even know there's a 28' foot mark on the court much less know it's purpose (it's irreverent for the most part in NFHS).

Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If it goes out of bounds on the baseline, hits a vertical support, after a made/awarded basket, or if there's a throw-in violation on a throw-in that was already on the baseline.

And I doubt most coaches even know there's a 28' foot mark on the court much less know it's purpose (it's irreverent for the most part in NFHS).
Oh yeah throwins violations on the endline too! But I thought when the ball hit a support or goes over the backboard, it went sideout closest to where the ball was shot?
Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 11:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Midcourt/Forecourt "Dinosaur" Line ???

Quote:
It's irreverent for the most part in NFHS.
Fossils still exist. Good place to stand during pregame warmups.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Oh yeah throwins violations on the endline too! But I thought when the ball hit a support or goes over the backboard, it went sideout closest to where the ball was shot?
You're thinking of when it hits a horizontal support. The vertical part is the base of the goal that is padded. You're right that it goes to the free throw line extended side out when it hits horizontal support or directly over the backboard.

Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Gotcha, thanks APG!
Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 12:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You're thinking of when it hits a horizontal support. The vertical part is the base of the goal that is padded. You're right that it goes to the free throw line extended side out when it hits horizontal support or directly over the backboard.
????

Rule reference or mechanic reference? I've always treated this as if it went OOB behind the basket. The violation isn't where it was shot, and it's not on the sideline. It's the basket support itself and thus the throw-in spot is at either lane line on the end line.

Same as an offensive FT violation.