The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

An official I worked with this evening talked about the following;

During an overtime period, the teams were lined up in the wrong direction. After the first made basket, the officials realized the mistake. They counted the basket for the team that had scored it. They then had the other team take the ball out from the opposite side of the made basket and bring it up to their correct goal. The official didn't know if it was correct to have them put the ball in from the opposite side. I told him that I thought that this was correct, however, could not offer any case or rule which spelled out the throw-in spot. I told him I would post it and also told him about the forum.

On the way home, I thought about the situation and reasoned that if the team was to be given the ball for a throw-in under their own basket, they would be allowed to run the baseline and that just doesn't seem right. I believe they followed the correct procedure. Any rule reference would be greatly appreciated.

Larry, welcome to the forum!
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Although I don't have a rule reference, I think they did the right thing.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 06:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc

During an overtime period, the teams were lined up in the wrong direction. After the first made basket, the officials realized the mistake. They counted the basket for the team that had scored it. They then had the other team take the ball out from the opposite side of the made basket and bring it up to their correct goal.

Correct. Case book play 5.2.1SitF.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc

During an overtime period, the teams were lined up in the wrong direction. After the first made basket, the officials realized the mistake. They counted the basket for the team that had scored it. They then had the other team take the ball out from the opposite side of the made basket and bring it up to their correct goal.

Correct. Case book play 5.2.1SitF.
JR,
The play you cite doesn't deal with or answer the question asked.

In fact, I thought up this wacky scenario on my own one day(although I certainly was not the first to do so) and posted it as a hypothetical play on this forum quite a while back.

While it is bizarre, I believe that the rules, as written, demand that we allow a team to run the end line in the frontcourt in this very unusual case.

7-5-7 . . . After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line.

Therefore, by rule, we have to administer the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was scored and the team gets the end line running privilege, since their opponents are rightly credited with the score.
While this is crazy, so is shooting at the wrong basket!
The officials goofed by allowing the teams to go the wrong directions at the tip, so now as penalty they get to look downright silly. Seems fair to me.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Feb 9th, 2005 at 07:27 AM]
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
7-5-7 . . . After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line.
You're missing the point about "any rule statement assumes no other violation / infraction occurs" (or whatever the specific statement is).
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
7-5-7 . . . After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line.
You're missing the point about "any rule statement assumes no other violation / infraction occurs" (or whatever the specific statement is).
Bob, While I'll admit that this is not the common sense way to do it, I don't believe that the following applies.

RULE 4 - SECTION 38 RULE
ART. 1 . . . A rule is one of a group of regulations which governs the game.
ART. 2 . . . A game regulation, commonly called a rule, sometimes states or implies that the ball is dead or a foul or violation is involved. If it does not, it is assumed the ball is live and no foul or violation has occurred to affect the situation.
ART. 3 . . . A single infraction is not complicated by a second infraction unless so stated or implied.

In this case only a single infraction has occurred: the teams have gone the wrong way. Nothing else against the rules has happened.