The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 08:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

These are observations not necessarily about Lebron, but about the game or officials.

Could someone tell me why the Ohio State Athletic Association still has a rule about tatoos? How hard is that to enforce?

Does the Ohio use NF Mechanics?

Peace
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Isn't this MTD, Jr's turf?
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
These are observations not necessarily about Lebron, but about the game or officials.

Could someone tell me why the Ohio State Athletic Association still has a rule about tatoos? How hard is that to enforce?

Peace
One account of the game I read (espn.com?) said that his SCHOOL has a rule that he keep them covered. I don't know if it's a coach rule, a school policy, or a state association rule; I'm just telling you what the article said.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Overall I thought the officials did a good job. However; the center always stayed out at the top of the circle and the trail well above the top of the cirlce. Most of the time the lead seemed to have 6 to 8 player by himself. Is this typical for this area.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Peace
Ohio does use NF. I am unaware of any specific rule about tattoos in Ohio. I asked an "Old Guy" in my association last night and he suggested that covering the tattoo could be a team rule or perhaps the tattoos were offensive in nature. If there are any other Ohio guys on here, do you have any further info?

Larks
Ohio Veteran in Training
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

One additional note....that James kid....he's a man in a boys game.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I work in the Cleveland area, and I have never heard of a rule regarding tatoos. I'd say it's a rather safe assumption that it's a team/school rule.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 11:06am
9 times

I only watched the end of the game, a couple of things struck me about the officials. Are authorized mechanics not emphasized in the greater Cleveland area? I saw several unauthorized mechanics used in the quarter and a half I watched. Several times the C was way above the top of the circle (for good reason) and the L didn't come to his side. Also, I didn't see (what I would call) a lot of hustle on their part.

Maybe I'm overly critical, but for a prime assignment on national tv, I thought they could have had some better officials on the game.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Maybe I'm overly critical, but for a prime assignment on national tv, I thought they could have had some better officials on the game.
Sounds like a no-win situation to me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

1) I thought the officials did a good job. Had it been me, I might have been caught occasionally watching LeBron rather than officiating. :-)

2) I read in the paper this morning that covering the tattoos is a school rule. BTW, did anyone see the coach get in LeBron's face during that time-out? LeBron just listened and nodded. He seemed to say all the right things after the game too. Is he as good of a kid as he seems. Sadly, giving millions to a 17-year old kid will corrupt the best of them, IMHO.

Z
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
How so, Tony? Without giving it a whole lot of thought, I think I would've jumped at the chance to work that game. Not b/c I would get to see LeBron James, but b/c it would also be my "national" debut. Who knows who might be watching? Some college assignor, maybe a curious NBA official. Can't be sure, of course, but I would love the chance to impress somebody on a stage like that one.

Chuck
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 10:12pm
Administrator

First, I did not see the game because I was officiating last night. I did see some highlights on SportsCenter this morning.

Concerning the patches on LeBron's arms. The NFHS, NCAA, or FIBA rules do not prohibit tattoos on players' bodies. The OhioHSAA and MichiganHSAA do not prohibit the wearing of tattoos nor do they require tattoos to becovered. LeBron Harris plays for a Catholic high school and the school may very well have a ban on the wearing of tattoos.

Second, concerning the position of the Trail and Center officials. It is my observation that the vast majority of high school officials do not go deep enough in their positions. I believe that this is because they are just not that well versed in the basics of three-person mechanics, not a lack of experience in officiating in three-person crews.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
How so, Tony?
My guess is that the assignor picked three of the best officials he had. Now, they have to live up to that expectation. Since there are very few HS basketball games televised on national television, there were probably quite a few HS officials "critiquing" the game. I'm sure many, who might be critical of their performance, probably would not has performed as well. We, as officials, should realize how difficult their job was.

But I agree with you. I would have jumped at the chance as well.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 11:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
Without giving it a whole lot of thought, I think I would've jumped at the chance to work that game. Not b/c I would get to see LeBron James, but b/c it would also be my "national" debut. Who knows who might be watching? Some college assignor, maybe a curious NBA official. Can't be sure, of course, but I would love the chance to impress somebody on a stage like that one. [/B][/QUOTE]You'd have done fine,Chuck.