The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lebron James Game Observations. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6561-lebron-james-game-observations.html)

JRutledge Thu Dec 12, 2002 08:00pm

These are observations not necessarily about Lebron, but about the game or officials.

Could someone tell me why the Ohio State Athletic Association still has a rule about tatoos? How hard is that to enforce?

Does the Ohio use NF Mechanics?

Peace

williebfree Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:25am

Isn't this MTD, Jr's turf?

A Pennsylvania Coach Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:28am

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
These are observations not necessarily about Lebron, but about the game or officials.

Could someone tell me why the Ohio State Athletic Association still has a rule about tatoos? How hard is that to enforce?

Peace

One account of the game I read (espn.com?) said that his SCHOOL has a rule that he keep them covered. I don't know if it's a coach rule, a school policy, or a state association rule; I'm just telling you what the article said.

APHP Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:40am

Overall I thought the officials did a good job. However; the center always stayed out at the top of the circle and the trail well above the top of the cirlce. Most of the time the lead seemed to have 6 to 8 player by himself. Is this typical for this area.

Larks Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:44am

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge

Peace

Ohio does use NF. I am unaware of any specific rule about tattoos in Ohio. I asked an "Old Guy" in my association last night and he suggested that covering the tattoo could be a team rule or perhaps the tattoos were offensive in nature. If there are any other Ohio guys on here, do you have any further info?

Larks
Ohio Veteran in Training

Larks Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:46am

One additional note....that James kid....he's a man in a boys game.

Danvrapp Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:51am

I work in the Cleveland area, and I have never heard of a rule regarding tatoos. I'd say it's a rather safe assumption that it's a team/school rule.

stripes Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:06am

I only watched the end of the game, a couple of things struck me about the officials. Are authorized mechanics not emphasized in the greater Cleveland area? I saw several unauthorized mechanics used in the quarter and a half I watched. Several times the C was way above the top of the circle (for good reason) and the L didn't come to his side. Also, I didn't see (what I would call) a lot of hustle on their part.

Maybe I'm overly critical, but for a prime assignment on national tv, I thought they could have had some better officials on the game.

BktBallRef Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by stripes
Maybe I'm overly critical, but for a prime assignment on national tv, I thought they could have had some better officials on the game.
Sounds like a no-win situation to me.

zebraman Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:10pm

1) I thought the officials did a good job. Had it been me, I might have been caught occasionally watching LeBron rather than officiating. :-)

2) I read in the paper this morning that covering the tattoos is a school rule. BTW, did anyone see the coach get in LeBron's face during that time-out? LeBron just listened and nodded. He seemed to say all the right things after the game too. Is he as good of a kid as he seems. Sadly, giving millions to a 17-year old kid will corrupt the best of them, IMHO.

Z

ChuckElias Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
How so, Tony? Without giving it a whole lot of thought, I think I would've jumped at the chance to work that game. Not b/c I would get to see LeBron James, but b/c it would also be my "national" debut. Who knows who might be watching? Some college assignor, maybe a curious NBA official. Can't be sure, of course, but I would love the chance to impress somebody on a stage like that one.

Chuck

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:12pm

First, I did not see the game because I was officiating last night. I did see some highlights on SportsCenter this morning.

Concerning the patches on LeBron's arms. The NFHS, NCAA, or FIBA rules do not prohibit tattoos on players' bodies. The OhioHSAA and MichiganHSAA do not prohibit the wearing of tattoos nor do they require tattoos to becovered. LeBron Harris plays for a Catholic high school and the school may very well have a ban on the wearing of tattoos.

Second, concerning the position of the Trail and Center officials. It is my observation that the vast majority of high school officials do not go deep enough in their positions. I believe that this is because they are just not that well versed in the basics of three-person mechanics, not a lack of experience in officiating in three-person crews.

BktBallRef Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
How so, Tony?

My guess is that the assignor picked three of the best officials he had. Now, they have to live up to that expectation. Since there are very few HS basketball games televised on national television, there were probably quite a few HS officials "critiquing" the game. I'm sure many, who might be critical of their performance, probably would not has performed as well. We, as officials, should realize how difficult their job was.

But I agree with you. I would have jumped at the chance as well.

Jurassic Referee Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
Without giving it a whole lot of thought, I think I would've jumped at the chance to work that game. Not b/c I would get to see LeBron James, but b/c it would also be my "national" debut. Who knows who might be watching? Some college assignor, maybe a curious NBA official. Can't be sure, of course, but I would love the chance to impress somebody on a stage like that one. [/B][/QUOTE]You'd have done fine,Chuck.
http://www.uselessgraphics.com/basket04.gif