The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Can you tell me if ncaaw and ncaam use the same size basketball.

Women's ball is smaller. But the rim is the same size...
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 10:46am
MABO Member

Here in Manitoba we use Modified NCAA rules. Both the Mens and Womens play under same rules.

30 second shot, 10 seconds backcourt, and 5 seconds closely guarded dribbling or held ball full court.

The closely guarded makes for some interesting situations especially in tight full court defense. We have been given instruction to give some leway to the offense as long as they are advancing the ball up the court. I dont think I have ever called 5 sec violation in backcourt when someone was dribbling the ball.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Tyson
I know in NCAA and i think NF both say the 10sec count is on the Official and not the clock. While it does make sense to look at the clock, the rule book says if 40sec on clock and the official counts too slow or too fast according to the clock-this is not correctable.
While that may be true, this situation may not be as simple as a difference in counting between the official the game clock. The problem could have been that the official stopped his count on the tip. If that is the case, there should not be anything wrong with the partners talking: "Hey partner, did you stop counting when the ball was tipped." "Yes I did, but now that I think about it I should not have." "Okay since 14 seconds went off the clock and control and touch were the same, then we could conclude beyond any resonable doubt that the correct call is a 10 sec violation."

There should be nothing wrong with officials getting together and making the correct call after sharing information.