The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2011 Tournament Discussion Redux (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/65124-2011-tournament-discussion-redux.html)

Jburt Mon Mar 21, 2011 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 741941)
Not relevant to the discussion at hand, really. If they didn't, the proper call would have been to grant the TO and charge the TF (assuming it was requested in time) rather than ignore it and charge the 5 second violation.

I disagree that it is not relevant. It could be argued, that if Texas did not have a TO remaining and the request came simultaneous, or close to, the 5 second violation, that he called the violation rather than issue a TF for an excessive TO.
Right or wrong, it could be a possibility, which is why I asked whether they had a TO or not.

Adam Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jburt (Post 741944)
I disagree that it is not relevant. It could be argued, that if Texas did not have a TO remaining and the request came simultaneous, or close to, the 5 second violation, that he called the violation rather than issue a TF for an excessive TO.
Right or wrong, it could be a possibility, which is why I asked whether they had a TO or not.

Fair enough, I didn't realize you were suggesting the official simply lacked the stones to make the right call.

rulesmaven Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 741695)
1. How in the world is the clock operator supposed to see when the ball lands?

2. John Adams addressed this on TV. IOW, always listen to bob.

Yeah, that's what I thought. But I think I've seen several situations this year where the put time back on the clock based on what the video shows as opposed to when there is a ref's signal -- fouls in particular.

just another ref Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jburt (Post 741944)

It is certainly debatable whether the TO request was made in time to beat the 5 second count in this play. Whether or not the team had a TO should not play any part in that debate.

Adam Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rulesmaven (Post 741946)
Yeah, that's what I thought. But I think I've seen several situations this year where the put time back on the clock based on what the video shows as opposed to when there is a ref's signal -- fouls in particular.

Agreed, I had been under the impression from similar situations in the past that they would normally set the clock based on when the violation, timeout request, or foul occurred.

Multiple Sports Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:31am

Exceesive Foul UConn / Cincinnati

Kemba Walker drove to the hole after he stole the ball and the UC defender came hard in an attempt to block the shot. An excessive contact foul was called against UC. I didn't see it that way.....

Don't know if it has been brought up earlier. Just wonderin what the brotherhood thought ??????

I have nothing. What was the UC defender suppose to do, go in soft???

Hey those guys are better than me - just want opinions..........

Adam Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 741956)
Kemba Walker drove to the hole after he stole the ball and the UC defender came hard in an attempt to block the shot. An excessive contact foul was called against UC. I didn't see it that way.....

Don't know if it has been brought up earlier. Just wonderin what the brotherhood thought ??????

I have nothing. What was the UC defender suppose to do, go in soft???

Hey those guys are better than me - just want opinions..........

Already discussed, in this thread, starting here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 741452)
Kemba had a breakout. #32 for UC attempts to block. Makes body contact from behind while Kemba is in the air and then fouls him going for the block. Both officials signal what I assume to mean excessive and not intentional. Seemed correct to me but I do not know what the wording of the NCAA rule is. Can someone paste it for me?

Read on from there for responses.

Multiple Sports Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42am

Snag what quote # was that ????

mbyron Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 741963)
Snag what quote # was that ????

If you click the little arrow icon after Spence's name, it will take you there (to post #47).

BktBallRef Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 741932)
I didn't see any of the FSU/ND game. What caused all the T's to be called?

The only T I saw was an FSU player who complained about being tripped to the floor. Problem is his teammate tripped him. He came up yelling at the trail, WHACK, then tried to pretend he was yelling to his coach.

Jurassic Referee Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 741922)
If that was his only bad call, then he would grade better than other officials, and then would move on by virtue of sucking less.

OK. And Higgins and Burr could have graded out higher too in that St. Johns/Rutgers game and advanced also in the Big East if that was their only bad call.

There's degrees of bad calls.

APG Mon Mar 21, 2011 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jburt (Post 741940)
Did Texas have any TO remaining?

Yes, they had one remaining.

KCOfficial Mon Mar 21, 2011 06:59pm

Did anyone have a problem with Jim Burr bailing out of his lead position in the last moments of the Texas game. If he stays in position, he would possibly have a call on either the drive or the rebound.

When it hit 0:00 he was by the NCAA Logo in between the 3pt line and the free throw lane. Not underneath where he should be.

Thoughts?

Raymond Mon Mar 21, 2011 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCOfficial (Post 742199)
Did anyone have a problem with Jim Burr bailing out of his lead position in the last moments of the Texas game. If he stays in position, he would possibly have a call on either the drive or the rebound.

When it hit 0:00 he was by the NCAA Logo in between the 3pt line and the free throw lane. Not underneath where he should be.

Thoughts?

I've only seen that hilight once and I didn't pay attention to Burr. However I notice he is still way ahead of the ball when he's the new trail. John Adams has specifically pointed that out as a mechanic that is not acceptable but Burr continues to do it. I just don't understand the need for him to get ahead of the ball. I wish I could hear him explain why he does that.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 21, 2011 09:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCOfficial (Post 742199)

Thoughts?

I can't stand Texas and was rooting for Arizona, but even I thought that both Texas players were fouled on the final possession and that Jim Burr put himself in a worse spot by trying to get an angle. I'm surpised that the C didn't have a call.

Texas got hosed. This game will drop Burr from advancing, IMO.